Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2014, 12:51 PM

719 posts, read 1,059,486 times

Advertisements

I majored in Political Science (B.A.) and took several history classes. I would major in Poli Sci again but I would take more business classes, particularly marketing. More than anything else I have been involved in some form of marketing since my first job after graduation at a brokerage firm. I know a lot of people will tell you that you need a STEM major these days but my political science classes and my overall liberal arts background helped in the business world. I felt like I had a broader understanding of the economy than someone with a purely business background. The skills that I found most valuable were communication skills ( writing, making presentations) that I picked up in my poli sci and history classes (not to mention classes in English Lit and public speaking).

A little about my overall background. In addition to Poli Sci and History I did take classes in both macro and micro economics, stats and some finance math. Later after college I had training in investment and real estate.

Last edited by senecaman; 12-22-2014 at 01:54 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2014, 01:06 PM

5,847 posts, read 6,185,322 times
I majored in Poli Sci and got a B.S. (not B.A). I minored in Business Management. At the end of my 4 years, I had taken almost as many classes through the Business School as I had from the Poli Sci Dept. Positioned myself very well for having pre reqs done for Graduate school, which I choose over Law school.

If you diversify your Undergraduate experience and fields of study in this manner, then you will come out with a well rounded education and be attractive to employers. However, it is often difficult to glean that diversification without seeing someone's transcript (unless you include your Minor and other pertinent info on your resume as well).

Old 12-22-2014, 01:09 PM

1,024 posts, read 1,041,216 times
Yes. If all the bleating mouth breathers are obsessing over "STEM," you can be sure it's something best avoided. I would certainly do things differently, but my major in and of itself was not a problem. Could have stood to have minored in statistics or something though.

Old 12-22-2014, 01:13 PM

5,847 posts, read 6,185,322 times
I guess great minds think alike

Sure did hate those Business Math and Statistics classes though. All my Poli Sci grades were A's and all those other B School ones were B's and an occasional C. At the end of 4 years, I had a 3.47 GPA and got into Grad school though......

I was smart enough to take all those classes, but I was never very good at them, LOL.

Old 12-22-2014, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Ag 93 View Post

Sure did hate those Business Math and Statistics classes though. All my Poli Sci grades were A's and all those other B School ones were B's and an occasional C. At the end of 4 years, I had a 3.47 GPA and got into Grad school though......

I was smart enough to take all those classes, but I was never very good at them, LOL.
It's a good thing we had required classes otherwise I would have chickened out on some of the ones that where outside my "wheelhouse". I was lucky as well to get at least a B in them. Those classes included

macro and micro econ
stats
business math
botany/zoology
spanish
comp sci
logic (one of the toughest classes-no joke !)

Old 12-22-2014, 01:58 PM

1,024 posts, read 1,041,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Ag 93 View Post

I tend to do better in 'harder' (as opposed to 'soft') classes, because the grading criteria is more objective and less arbitrary. That's why, upon second thought, maybe economics might have been a good compromise between my affinity for social sciences and a less ambiguous grading regimen.

A lot of grading in 'soft' subjects comes down to how much the professor likes you, what kind of mood they're in that semester, and seemingly pure luck. Sometimes, this worked in my favor, but more often it did not. Recognizing the disconnect between effort and reward really destroyed my motivation by my senior year.

Last edited by tairos; 12-22-2014 at 02:09 PM..

Old 12-22-2014, 04:49 PM

1,267 posts, read 3,074,900 times
I want to be a border patrol agent but want a degree. I want to do History since its my strongest subject.

I am not interested in theory that is in political science or criminology

Old 12-22-2014, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tairos View Post
I tend to do better in 'harder' (as opposed to 'soft') classes, because the grading criteria is more objective and less arbitrary. That's why, upon second thought, maybe economics might have been a good compromise between my affinity for social sciences and a less ambiguous grading regimen.

A lot of grading in 'soft' subjects comes down to how much the professor likes you, what kind of mood they're in that semester, and seemingly pure luck. Sometimes, this worked in my favor, but more often it did not. Recognizing the disconnect between effort and reward really destroyed my motivation by my senior year.
I started a masters degree program in Political Science just after completing my undergrad degree but the grading at the graduate level seemed much more arbitrary and also dependent on luck and how much the grad prof liked you. I lasted just one semester and I was done. I really liked my undergrad profs and loved Poli Sci at the undergrad level. Once I became a grad student though I realized I was tired of having to please people for grades and my grad program seemed to be a lot about just that and I wasn't up to the game anymore. Writing long papers just became busy work to me but I was able to apply myself later on in more objective areas in business and was able to obtain experience in marketing, investment and real estate.

Last edited by senecaman; 12-22-2014 at 05:39 PM..

Old 12-22-2014, 08:30 PM

336 posts, read 441,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by senecaman View Post
I majored in Political Science (B.A.) and took several history classes. I would major in Poli Sci again but I would take more business classes, particularly marketing. More than anything else I have been involved in some form of marketing since my first job after graduation at a brokerage firm. I know a lot of people will tell you that you need a STEM major these days but my political science classes and my overall liberal arts background helped in the business world. I felt like I had a broader understanding of the economy than someone with a purely business background. The skills that I found most valuable were communication skills ( writing, making presentations) that I picked up in my poli sci and history classes (not to mention classes in English Lit and public speaking).

A little about my overall background. In addition to Poli Sci and History I did take classes in both macro and micro economics, stats and some finance math. Later after college I had training in investment and real estate.
I got a BA in History or honestly, I wish I would have done Political Science like my mom wanted me to. History is cool and everything, but honestly while all things being equal all BAs should be the same in the humanities or so one would think, they are not and I thought doing History would at least show some intelligence to employers...but it does not.

Old 12-22-2014, 09:33 PM

381 posts, read 642,722 times
Went to college wanting to study journalism. Decided my first semester that there is no future in journalism, so I decided to go the political science route.

I really should have done economics, but I was no good at the math requirements anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities