Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2014, 07:24 PM

139 posts, read 250,583 times

Advertisements

Many people claim that they are not capable of getting through an engineering program because their "brains aren't wired that way" or they "can't do math" or something like that. I personally think that these people simply aren't willing to put in the extra effort it takes to get through a rigorous program like engineering. What do you think?

And just to be clear, this thread is not here to debate the employment prospects of engineers or what peoples' "passions" are. It is a discussion regarding "intellectual capability" vs laziness and excuse making.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2014, 07:46 PM

22,564 posts, read 47,614,734 times
Based solely on personal experience -
the people I know who said that were simply lazy or seeking an easier college major.

Old 12-26-2014, 08:25 PM

3,670 posts, read 7,160,987 times
if they're saying that then they've probably already decided they're not motivated to learn that particular field. so the question is kinda irrelevant imo

Old 12-26-2014, 08:32 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,132,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no_more_handouts View Post
Many people claim that they are not capable of getting through an engineering program because their "brains aren't wired that way" or they "can't do math" or something like that. I personally think that these people simply aren't willing to put in the extra effort it takes to get through a rigorous program like engineering. What do you think?

And just to be clear, this thread is not here to debate the employment prospects of engineers or what peoples' "passions" are. It is a discussion regarding "intellectual capability" vs laziness and excuse making.
I am a retired teacher. Of course, not every person has the intellectual capability to be an engineer just like not every person will be able to earn straight As. If you do not have the intellectual capability to be an engineer(or a doctor, or a lawyer, or a dentist, or a Phd) no matter how many hours you study you will not be successful.

It has always surprised me that many people do not understand that not every person is capable of doing everything.

Last edited by germaine2626; 12-26-2014 at 08:51 PM..

Old 12-26-2014, 08:40 PM

30,251 posts, read 23,719,256 times
Quote:

I think you are wrong. Some of us just do not comprehend more complicated math no matter how many hours, tutors, or attempts we have made.

Old 12-26-2014, 08:45 PM

2,547 posts, read 4,226,819 times
Of course, and even at the same level of intellect/IQ, people's areas of ability may be entirely different. Some ARE 'wired' more towards the 'left-brained' math and techy fields, while others are better at languages or creative fields or have some artistic or athletic talent. My husband is super 'techy' - he's a computer genius, but can't write an essay to save his life; english and lit classes in school were torture for him. I'm the complete opposite - can't stand math and am terrible at it, because my brain just doesn't quite work that way; it's that whole 'thinking out of the box' approach to finding solutions. I have great memory and I would try to get through math by memorizing rules but found that as soon as I'd get a problem that required a bit of different thinking from other angles, I'd just get stuck and couldn't get past it. On the other hand I'm an excellent writer, I learn languages easily, I can write up papers on any subject with no trouble, and since grade school I have had an intuitive feel for spelling and grammar; my teachers were shocked because I never misspelled a word. I can see the same right now with my son, he's a super early reader, has photographic memory, and is several years ahead of his age in spelling, writing, and grammar.

For some reason there's a double standard in this. No one would tell a person good at math but bad at writing that they could be a fantastic writer if only they weren't too lazy; nor would you say that anyone could become a talented artist, musician, or athlete if only they put their mind to it. But for some reason anyone admitting to not being good in STEM fields is labelled lazy and making excuses. I don't get it.

Old 12-26-2014, 08:48 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,212,218 times
Quote:

I believe you are completely wrong in your thought process.

Not everyone is created to get an engineering degree and there is not one thing anyone can do about it but accept the fact that everyone is "wired different" or "can't do math" and find someone else to call lazy.

Old 12-26-2014, 08:50 PM

919 posts, read 1,689,808 times
Quote:

Personally, I do not process math very well. I always did well in my math classes but I struggled (and still do!) with all of my math classes with the exception of algebra and College introductory statistics. I had a very hard time understanding concepts especially with trigonometry and Algebra 2. I finished high school with a 3.9 GPA and #46 in a class of over 600, so no I do not think it's about being lazy. Some people just don't get it.

The same way that some people don't understand how to fix a car, how to teach a class, how to talk to people etc. Some people just can't do it.

Scientifically speaking there are neurological differences in people who are high functioning in math and those who excel in humanities.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 12-27-2014 at 03:39 PM.. Reason: Please post links to graphics that are not your own - copyright

Old 12-26-2014, 08:55 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,082,647 times
Some people really don't have brains that work that way. I would love to be an engineer, but my brain honestly doesn't work that way. The math I could handle with no issue, but there would be other problems. One person described what you need to be able to do as turning a circle into a square, and honestly, not everyone can do that.

Old 12-26-2014, 08:55 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,132,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilCookie View Post
For some reason there's a double standard in this. No one would tell a person good at math but bad at writing that they could be a fantastic writer if only they weren't too lazy; nor would you say that anyone could become a talented artist, musician, or athlete if only they put their mind to it. But for some reason anyone admitting to not being good in STEM fields is labelled lazy and making excuses. I don't get it.
I totally agree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities