Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2014, 08:53 PM

39 posts, read 51,489 times

Advertisements

It amazes me how easy it is for just any 18 year old to simply fill out an online form and receive a $200,000 stafford loan to study humanities at some fancy private school. Is this not similar to banks giving out mortgages people could not afford prior to the housing bubble burst?

If you cannot afford college and need to attend on the government's dime (on a generous loan they gave you with a low interest rate), why would you not minimize the loan amount by going to the cheapest college you get into? And why not maximize your ability to repay said loan by majoring in something that has a strong history of job demand, stability and growth? (STEM fields primarily)?

Many young people feel as if they had been wronged by the higher education system and the US government which was so nice to give them a low interest loan which enabled them to go to college in the first place because they are unemployed or underemployed and unable to pay back their massive student loan debt, when in reality, they should have simply gone to a cheap in-state college and chose to study something that can get them a high-paying job upon graduating, no?

Of course, some blame does lie with universities who have used this influx of student loan money to build unnecessary infrastructure and other amenities that don't contribute to the student landing a job and transferred the costs to students by raising tuition rates. But some blame does lie with students, who feel entitled to being debt free and work high paying jobs after spending 4 years drinking and partying on the government's jobs while being mediocre students in a field of study that provides them with no real employable job skills.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2014, 09:21 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nalghanim View Post
It amazes me how easy it is for just any 18 year old to simply fill out an online form and receive a $200,000 stafford loan to study humanities at some fancy private school. Is this not similar to banks giving out mortgages people could not afford prior to the housing bubble burst?
They can't. There are both annual and cumulative limits on the amount that can be borrowed, currently $57,500 for independent undergraduates.

Quote:
If you cannot afford college and need to attend on the government's dime (on a generous loan they gave you with a low interest rate), why would you not minimize the loan amount by going to the cheapest college you get into? And why not maximize your ability to repay said loan by majoring in something that has a strong history of job demand, stability and growth? (STEM fields primarily)?
People have been sold the lie that going to college guarantees a good income. Thus we have thousands of psychology majors working at call centers and a ton of lawyers who accumulated hundreds of thousands of dollars of debt to enter a flooded market where a large fraction of workers have dismal earnings.

Why not STEM? Lots of people aren't very good at it. Getting the degree is not easy. And it's also no guarantee of a good job. If you have no aptitude or interest in the subject matter, companies aren't exactly going to be clamoring to hire you just because you have a engineering degree.

Certainly some blame belongs with the students who don't consider post-college reality before going deep into debt. States and voters also deserve a good share of the blame for slashing higher education spending when budgets get tight.

Last edited by i7pXFLbhE3gq; 12-31-2014 at 09:58 PM..

Old 12-31-2014, 09:25 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,798,868 times
One might also point out that any kid who accepts such a loan is irresponsible by definition.

So if you ban the irresponsible you cancelled the program. Which would also likely wipe out a number of colleges.

Old 12-31-2014, 09:43 PM

3,349 posts, read 2,847,183 times
I have limit what I take out each semester so I would not into so much debt.

Old 12-31-2014, 09:43 PM

22,587 posts, read 47,649,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nalghanim View Post
It amazes me how easy it is for just any 18 year old to simply fill out an online form and receive a $200,000 stafford loan to study humanities at some fancy private school.
I stopped reading right there.

Your entire premise is flawed as an 18 year old cannot "receive a $200,000 stafford loan" to study anything anywhere.

Old 12-31-2014, 10:10 PM

239 posts, read 350,255 times
Maybe I'm just a hippie but the government should subsidize education for people who cannot afford it. Education is a public good and much of the cutting edge research that this country is known for is driven by people who were educated on the government's dime. And cheap in state college? Give me a break. I went to my state's flagship school (University of New Hampshire) and I STILL paid $20,000 per year in tuition.

Old 12-31-2014, 10:18 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,563,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
I stopped reading right there.

Your entire premise is flawed as an 18 year old cannot "receive a $200,000 stafford loan" to study anything anywhere.

Yep.

Thank you for shooting your credibility very early on.

Old 01-01-2015, 05:11 AM

425 posts, read 431,659 times
You could simply change his premise to a lower number and it would be a decent argument, though not necessarily one I would agree with. Don't discount him based on a little hyperbole.

I tend to go with JasonF's statement: "They have been sold a lie..."

It's difficult to blame students when they've been told they must go to the best college they can, in order to become successful in life...

Old 01-01-2015, 06:27 AM

239 posts, read 350,255 times
There is some mild truth to that though if your goal is solely to become rich. Companies like Goldman Sachs only recruit at top schools so you have to go to a top school to get those jobs. It's highly unlikely that you're going to get that job if you go to Eastern State University.

Old 01-01-2015, 07:59 AM

12,846 posts, read 9,045,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiMT View Post
You could simply change his premise to a lower number and it would be a decent argument, though not necessarily one I would agree with. Don't discount him based on a little hyperbole.
Uh, yes we should discount his premise because it's false. He's using the hyperbole to create an emotional response against the concept. The dollar amount is wrong. His use of the term "some fancy private school" is an emotional appeal. Even the definition he uses of "irresponsible student" is based on what he believes a student should study and where they should go.

If you want to discuss the fundamental cost/benefit of the student loan program, then it needs to start from valid data, not an emotional strawman.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities