Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2015, 11:27 AM

765 posts, read 987,581 times

Advertisements

Well Im interested in two careers being a Public School Teacher or being an IT Field Service Technician.
How good are these career? and do they have future?
I have experience being a computer technician in my school I like it.
I volunteer to teach some kids at a public for a few days and that went well too.
is a bachelors or arts in computer technology good to be a computer technician?
or education to be a public school teacher?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2015, 11:36 AM

7,005 posts, read 12,486,543 times
You can sort of do both. There is high demand for computer science and other types of technology teachers.

Old 01-07-2015, 12:20 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,610 posts, read 81,316,164 times
Because you are likely young, and technology is changing so fast, it would be somewhat of a guess. No one can predict the future, but we have seen many "middle class" jobs automated recently. I don't think anyone expects teachers to go away any time soon, especially in the lower grades, however with the rapidly improving teleconferencing capabilities there could be teaching jobs eliminated by having lectures done on large-screen TVs with communications back from the students via the internet. If you consider how the prices of HGTVs, computers and tablets have dropped, they may eventually become more disposable. Even now people are buying tablets rather than laptops, even in large offices, after they went from desktops just a few years ago. There will always be a need for technicians to service corporate servers and network equipment but I would expect the normal devices we use every day to be replaced rather than repaired. If anything, I would expect the growth area to be in security, cleaning malware and protecting data from outside invasion.

Old 01-07-2015, 12:56 PM

6,593 posts, read 11,302,314 times
Go the education route with regards to your degree. Computer technicians jobs (hardware/networking etc.) are more based on experience than education. To get a job teaching with a public school (and it differs by state/county/district, etc.), you'll need a degree, cert, exams (Praxis), etc.

The education requirements tend to be more strict for teachers.

Old 01-09-2015, 08:12 AM

506 posts, read 959,229 times
Computer Technician or IT.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities