Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2015, 07:02 PM

83 posts, read 124,604 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I need help. My cousin's daughter from Europe is coming to study in the US. These are the choices that she has. Do you have any advice which university is best? Or what is the difference between the different universities? California State University in San Marcos, Arkansas State University, New Mexico State University och University of Texas at El Paso.
I really would appreciate your input. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2015, 07:50 PM

22,556 posts, read 47,605,466 times
What do you mean by "best"?

To what part of the US does she want to go?
Which school has classes in her major?
Which can she afford?

Old 01-08-2015, 08:20 PM

17,704 posts, read 29,791,770 times
The one with the highest ROI.

Old 01-08-2015, 08:31 PM

12,831 posts, read 9,025,507 times
There is no "best" because there are so many factors that differ for each student. What does she want to study? Does she do better in a big class setting or prefer small classes? Dorm or apartment? Large city or rural? And many others. She needs to do some searches and read up on several schools, then, if possible have a visit. The school that looks good in the brochure may be a terrible fit when seen in person.

Old 01-09-2015, 10:51 AM

56 posts, read 281,340 times
Do a search on top U.S. universities and read up on each of them. Universities have rankings but those are overall rankings. Some lower ranking universities have higher ranked specific degree programs than other overall higher ranking universities. Also, some students prefer attending a smaller university versus a larger one or prefer a suburban campus over an urban one or vice versa. So if just going to the highest ranking school is the most important factor than choose the school that ranks highest on the school ranking list or if state or location (urban/suburban) is most important than pick the one that ranks highest that still meet's those needs. I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post a link to a school ranking site (not sure what is considered a competition site) but I'll give it a try. National University Rankings | Top National Universities | US News Best Colleges

Last edited by Petoskey; 01-09-2015 at 10:59 AM..

Old 01-09-2015, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
She needs to do some searches and read up on several schools, then, if possible have a visit. The school that looks good in the brochure may be a terrible fit when seen in person.
Sounds like this is a semester abroad. You really don't get the chance to visit all the schools in person beforehand.

Old 01-09-2015, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petoskey View Post
Do a search on top U.S. universities and read up on each of them.
The OP stated the four schools her program allows. No need to research school she cannot attned.

Old 01-09-2015, 11:45 AM

56 posts, read 281,340 times
I didn't mean that the OP should research every school on a U.S. university ranking list (they can be listed as top 10, top 25, top 50, top 100 or a list of U.S. universities by rankings). I meant the OP should do a web search on top U.S. universities in order to locate a website listing U.S. university rankings that the OP could then use to look for the universities that were listed in the OP's post. The OP can then find out what each of their rankings are, read up on them and make a decision on which to go with based on rankings, the things I listed in my previous post or on whatever criteria the student who will be attending wants to use. Sorry for the confusion.

Old 01-09-2015, 05:17 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,685,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petoskey View Post
I didn't mean that the OP should research every school on a U.S. university ranking list (they can be listed as top 10, top 25, top 50, top 100 or a list of U.S. universities by rankings). I meant the OP should do a web search on top U.S. universities in order to locate a website listing U.S. university rankings that the OP could then use to look for the universities that were listed in the OP's post. The OP can then find out what each of their rankings are, read up on them and make a decision on which to go with based on rankings, the things I listed in my previous post or on whatever criteria the student who will be attending wants to use. Sorry for the confusion.
The OP's relative has a choice of the schools listed. It sounds to me as well that this is "study abroad". None of these schools are highly ranked.

Old 01-09-2015, 05:47 PM

12,831 posts, read 9,025,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Sounds like this is a semester abroad. You really don't get the chance to visit all the schools in person beforehand.
Ok, I didn't read this as a semester abroad since it didn't say that. I read as looking for schools for the 4 years. I just read it as someone had given her some really bad advice on which schools to look at.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities