Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2015, 04:41 PM

12,847 posts, read 9,050,725 times

Advertisements

Guys, he's trolling you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2015, 05:45 PM

43 posts, read 95,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Guys, he's trolling you.
Yeah, it's has been very obvious for awhile now. I will say, it is a bit amusing watching OP spit the same rhetoric most people say here.

Old 01-13-2015, 06:00 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,183,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unoriginator View Post
Yeah, it's has been very obvious for awhile now. I will say, it is a bit amusing watching OP spit the same rhetoric most people say here.
I wouldn't hire the guy even if he had an MBA with the attitude.

He'd have his mom call when he was sick or didn't get a raise he thought he deserved.

And yes, it's pure BS.

Old 01-13-2015, 06:20 PM

10,065 posts, read 7,237,863 times
$8K a year is cheap for college. Since you have community college already, you're looking at a total cost of under $20K, about as cheap as any college gets.

A FT job even at minimum wage will net you well more than $8K per year. A PT job may get you close to it. If you don't want to use your $47K savings then get a job and pay as you go.

My own example: I had a double major - undergrad degrees in history and geography, master's degree in history. My debt load was $36K from all that put together although I could have kept that to about $29K if I'd been smarter about it. Most useless degrees ever, right? Maybe.

Within 3 years I was able to get a better job that started at $49K compared to the $38K job I was working before, so the degrees were worth $10K per year right there and I've been working it 3 years, so that $36K is now justified. Within the next 5 years I'll be making in the 60s somewhere. Even more important, I'm doing what I like to do, so the degrees were worth it. You want to look at it as a long game.

Old 01-13-2015, 07:04 PM

1,901 posts, read 1,828,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy Holly View Post
COLLEGE IS A ******* RIP OFF! HOW THE HELL AM I SUPPOSED TO BREAK 50K IN NET WORTH IF I HAVE TO PAY TUITION? ISN'T FINANCIAL AID SUPPOSED TO HELP THOSE LESS FORTUNATE? WHAT A SCAM!!!!! I'm 23, why are they trying to take everything from me? Apparently I'm not destitute enough with only 47,000 in net worth to qualify for a Pell Grant... I'm not paying 8,000 a year for a POS state school. I was assuming I'd get a free ride like I did in community college..... It was the whole purpose I applied to one.
College is just a tool in a toolbox of tools that you are using to construct a career. The problem isn't college per say, the problem is that people have HORRIBLE career planning procedures, where they more times than not don't even have a quality career plan in place at all.

If you have a quality career plan in place and can map out where you can get an increase of $10,000 a year immediately upon graduating, and it costs $20,000 in total for the degree....then you break even in two years and profit in three years. But MOST college students don't have it mapped out like this, to where they can even look at ways of taking that $20,000 cost maybe to $12,000 so they breakeven/profit faster.

Most go to college and slap a degree on a resume, full of experience that's NOT relevant to the positions they are applying for, and are ticked off when they aren't moving up in the world.

You HAVE TO MAP OUT your Career, from beginning (Freshmen in college) to the end (age 67 or 70). Don't listen to the people that say this advice is silly, you need to do quality research and construct a quality Career Plan.

It's just like opening a business, if you don't have a quality Business Plan you will fall on your face because WITHOUT that plan, it's like you don't have a compass, and you will never truly know where the hell you are going.

Old 01-13-2015, 07:30 PM

36 posts, read 34,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jotucker99 View Post
College is just a tool in a toolbox of tools that you are using to construct a career. The problem isn't college per say, the problem is that people have HORRIBLE career planning procedures, where they more times than not don't even have a quality career plan in place at all.

If you have a quality career plan in place and can map out where you can get an increase of $10,000 a year immediately upon graduating, and it costs $20,000 in total for the degree....then you break even in two years and profit in three years. But MOST college students don't have it mapped out like this, to where they can even look at ways of taking that $20,000 cost maybe to $12,000 so they breakeven/profit faster.

Most go to college and slap a degree on a resume, full of experience that's NOT relevant to the positions they are applying for, and are ticked off when they aren't moving up in the world.

You HAVE TO MAP OUT your Career, from beginning (Freshmen in college) to the end (age 67 or 70). Don't listen to the people that say this advice is silly, you need to do quality research and construct a quality Career Plan.

It's just like opening a business, if you don't have a quality Business Plan you will fall on your face because WITHOUT that plan, it's like you don't have a compass, and you will never truly know where the hell you are going.
You used to be able to join a company or state job and work your way up to the top with hard work or brown nosing.

Old 01-13-2015, 08:39 PM

3,278 posts, read 5,390,324 times
College is not a rip off.

Getting an expensive bachelor's degree and not going on to Grad school is.

Old 01-13-2015, 09:02 PM

36 posts, read 34,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandalorian View Post
College is not a rip off.

Getting an expensive bachelor's degree and not going on to Grad school is.
Any bachelor's degree that costs money is expensive. Anything covered by financial aid isn't.

Old 01-13-2015, 09:15 PM

3,670 posts, read 7,163,314 times
low admission standards, government backed student loans

Old 01-13-2015, 09:17 PM

3,670 posts, read 7,163,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy Holly View Post
Any bachelor's degree that costs money is expensive. Anything covered by financial aid isn't.
time is not an insignificant variable in this. opportunity cost etc
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities