Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2015, 02:00 PM

3,842 posts, read 8,269,751 times

Advertisements

I am close to the OPs age now. I finished my CS degree at 30, and started about 7-8 years earlier (long story). Along the way I was classmates with a few people who were older than the both of us are now.

And being a veteran WILL help in certain industries. I was in aerospace for a long time, and that place in particular did give partial preference to former military. Also they didn't seem to really care about age either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2015, 02:07 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,874,952 times
It's definitely worthwhile if you approach the field seriously. I like to hire developers who are passionate about software development - no matter the age.

Anyway, if you don't go after it, where will you be in four years?

Old 01-16-2015, 02:45 PM

9 posts, read 9,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Why would that be a problem? What is it, exactly, that you're concerned about? I worked on a college campus for 10 years, and took classes the whole time, as did a couple of my friends. What is your concern, exactly? If you're imagining that other students would have a problem with the presence of older students, don't worry. No one cares. There's no reason to feel self-conscious.
I guess its more of a self conscious thing. In community college there are a lot of older students and that's fine, but I think when you move to a university the number of older students drop. So I guess I kind of feel like I would not really have folks around I could relate to. But your advice is solid and i appreciate it.

Old 01-16-2015, 02:58 PM

881 posts, read 1,815,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Why would you be around younger students 8-10 hrs. /day? Were you planning to live on campus? Most college programs are only about 4 hrs. of class/day.
Granted, I did my degree over 15 years ago, but 8 - 10 hours a day for comp sci was not unusual. We often had classes and labs in the evenings. I had classmates camp out overnight in the computer labs to get assignments done.

In additional to around 5 hours of lectures, there are labs (usually 2- 3 hours), and then assignments to do. Many of the assignments are group projects. The first two years were much more lecture/lab intensive. The last 2 more independent or group assignment focus.

I don't think the age will be a problem. We had a few older students in our classes when I was in school. We got along well, and I found their experiences added great insights on our projects. They were actually easier to work with on group projects, they had a level of maturity and prioritization that some of my (same age) classmates did not have.

However, as most of the older student had family and jobs, they didn't/weren't able to do internships. The best internships were far away from our university (required relocating for the duration of the internship). That put them (really any student regardless of age) at a disadvantage when it came to jobs after graduation.

Old 01-16-2015, 08:48 PM

1,001 posts, read 1,095,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnomatic View Post
Granted, I did my degree over 15 years ago, but 8 - 10 hours a day for comp sci was not unusual.
everyday? what college did you go to? MIT? I go to a mediocre school with a mediocre program (lower end of top 100), but I've never had to spend more than a 6 hours a day for comp sci. That too was rare. Granted, I never took more than 3 cs classes at a time (And I always made sure to make at least one a theory based class rather than programming focused).

Old 01-16-2015, 10:25 PM

4,663 posts, read 4,549,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stellastar2345 View Post
everyday? what college did you go to? MIT? I go to a mediocre school with a mediocre program (lower end of top 100), but I've never had to spend more than a 6 hours a day for comp sci. That too was rare. Granted, I never took more than 3 cs classes at a time (And I always made sure to make at least one a theory based class rather than programming focused).
I went to grad school at an ivy with a top-20 comp sci grad department and it definitely was not unusual to see groups working in the labs at midnight or later. You'd see the groups working after classes, go out for dinner and then come back to work some more.

Old 01-16-2015, 10:34 PM

881 posts, read 1,815,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stellastar2345 View Post
No I didn't go to MIT. I went to a good university in Canada, but not one that was known for it's comp sci program. But it was a good program, worked out well for me and most of my classmates/friends. Most of us who did internships had signed job offers well before graduation. Those I know who went to the top schools seem to have had much more intensive and competitive experiences.

At my school, first year comp sci would be a handful of comp sci specific classes, some math pre-requisites for 2nd year, and then the electives. Most of the labs for first year comp sci classes were at night (I remember this clearly because a few of my friends TA for those labs in a our senior year).

By 2nd year it was almost all comp sci course, with the exception of non science electives we had to have (though most chose one specific philosophy course because it closely resembled the comp sci logic course we had). It would be near impossible to graduate in 4 years with just 3 comp sci course at a time.

Old 01-17-2015, 10:39 AM

3,278 posts, read 5,391,147 times
I once met a resident doctor who was in his 60s.

There's nothing wrong with it. In fact, it might even be an advantage to be older. They won't ID you at parties

Old 01-19-2015, 11:33 AM

1,001 posts, read 1,095,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnomatic View Post
No I didn't go to MIT. I went to a good university in Canada, but not one that was known for it's comp sci program. But it was a good program, worked out well for me and most of my classmates/friends. Most of us who did internships had signed job offers well before graduation. Those I know who went to the top schools seem to have had much more intensive and competitive experiences.

At my school, first year comp sci would be a handful of comp sci specific classes, some math pre-requisites for 2nd year, and then the electives. Most of the labs for first year comp sci classes were at night (I remember this clearly because a few of my friends TA for those labs in a our senior year).

By 2nd year it was almost all comp sci course, with the exception of non science electives we had to have (though most chose one specific philosophy course because it closely resembled the comp sci logic course we had). It would be near impossible to graduate in 4 years with just 3 comp sci course at a time.
most people here at my school had internships and had signed job offers before graduation (I personally have one as well). We even send around 4-5 to microsoft a year (out of around 55 a year who graduate with cs degrees), and a few of the phD students always get an offer from Google. My college is like 60? on us news rankings. It's not a 3rd rate school, it's just mediocre.

it's around 8 lower level classes (including the calc classes) + 6 upper level here.

Old 01-22-2015, 07:53 AM

9 posts, read 9,017 times
Thanks for the replies everyone and the folks who also started they're own inner conversation. I'll keep chugging along!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities