Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2015, 12:08 AM

181 posts, read 140,261 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven P. View Post
Actually, I have a college degree. Granted, it's only an Associate's Degree, but it is from an accredited community college, so for all intents and purposes, I am a college graduate. I don't really appreciate the condescension, although I should have expected that not everyone would be so kind on a forum such as this.
Based on your OP, others instantly recognized and suggested that college is not for you, and I did not say anything different.

And just because you have a college degree does not invalidate this statement, "college is not for you" especially when you said it yourself, "I really, truly loathe college."
Please point out where I was being condescending?

College is out, so I suggested a technical/vocational track that can meet or exceed your stated dream (esp given how un-materialistic you are).

You did say you were taught that a BA/BS is a MUST, what were you taught about the technical/vocational field?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2016, 08:10 PM

147 posts, read 292,896 times
Logged into C-D for the first time in at least a year. Time really does fly. Figured I'd post a little update for anyone who is in the position I was in two years ago - lost, scared, confused, angry, overwhelmed, the whole nine yards, who may have stumbled upon this thread via Google or something else.

I ended up dropping out of the liberal arts college. Good move. No regrets.

Two months after this post, I got promoted to full-time assistant manager at my store. I did that for the remainder of 2015. I learned pretty quickly that I did not like being in retail full-time. Point blank, it sucks. The money was very good for a 22 year old kid, and very good for retail in general, but it wouldn't go very far if I had a family support. The job sucked. Very stressful. I ended up deciding to go back to school.

Turned out the third time was the charm. I'm now working part-time to pay for school via a monthly payment plan. I'm attending a state university with scholarships and have had to take out zero student loans. The only debt I'll graduate with is from my one semester at the liberal arts school, which will be about $50 a month. I decided to major in Business Management, not because I really enjoy it, but because I knew I couldn't pay for a degree I wouldn't ever utilize due to lack of practicality. I don't know yet what I'd like to do with my degree, but I DO know that my options would have been very limited without it.

I will be graduating in December with a B.S. I feel very relieved. I don't enjoy school any more now than I did when I made this post, but I now recognize the absolute necessity of having SOME type of further education to compete in the job market nowadays. If I were particularly good with my hands, I would have learned a skilled trade, such as HVAC or plumbing, but alas, my skills are those of an artsy college type, not a tradesman, although I honestly wish it was the other way around sometimes.

Anyway, my advice to anyone who may be who I was when I created this post would be to follow your gut. Don't continue to do something if it doesn't feel right. Especially when thousands of dollars are involved. You need to have SOMETHING more than an HS diploma/GED to quite literally survive in modern society. Whether that is college, trade school, community college certs in IT or health or anything else, an internship, apprenticing, or just a skill that you learn from frickin' Google, you just have to have some way of making yourself appealing to employers. Oh, and full-time retail management sucks. Don't do it.

Of course, my story may change when I graduate. I don't know what I want to do with my degree, but I do know that I crossed some things off my list, and will have many more opportunities than I would have otherwise if I hadn't dropped out, explored other things, and come back. Sometimes, all you need is to leave something for long enough to gain perspective.

Best of luck to all!

Old 09-05-2016, 10:12 AM

244 posts, read 414,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StayLucky View Post
Logged into C-D for the first time in at least a year. Time really does fly. Figured I'd post a little update for anyone who is in the position I was in two years ago - lost, scared, confused, angry, overwhelmed, the whole nine yards, who may have stumbled upon this thread via Google or something else.

Two months after this post, I got promoted to full-time assistant manager at my store. I did that for the remainder of 2015. I learned pretty quickly that I did not like being in retail full-time. Point blank, it sucks. The money was very good for a 22 year old kid, and very good for retail in general, but it wouldn't go very far if I had a family support. The job sucked. Very stressful. I ended up deciding to go back to school.

Turned out the third time was the charm. I'm now working part-time to pay for school via a monthly payment plan. I'm attending a state university with scholarships and have had to take out zero student loans. The only debt I'll graduate with is from my one semester at the liberal arts school, which will be about $50 a month. I decided to major in Business Management, not because I really enjoy it, but because I knew I couldn't pay for a degree I wouldn't ever utilize due to lack of practicality. I don't know yet what I'd like to do with my degree, but I DO know that my options would have been very limited without it.

I will be graduating in December with a B.S. I feel very relieved. I don't enjoy school any more now than I did when I made this post, but I now recognize the absolute necessity of having SOME type of further education to compete in the job market nowadays. If I were particularly good with my hands, I would have learned a skilled trade, such as HVAC or plumbing, but alas, my skills are those of an artsy college type, not a tradesman, although I honestly wish it was the other way around sometimes.

Anyway, my advice to anyone who may be who I was when I created this post would be to follow your gut. Don't continue to do something if it doesn't feel right. Especially when thousands of dollars are involved. You need to have SOMETHING more than an HS diploma/GED to quite literally survive in modern society. Whether that is college, trade school, community college certs in IT or health or anything else, an internship, apprenticing, or just a skill that you learn from frickin' Google, you just have to have some way of making yourself appealing to employers. Oh, and full-time retail management sucks. Don't do it.

Of course, my story may change when I graduate. I don't know what I want to do with my degree, but I do know that I crossed some things off my list, and will have many more opportunities than I would have otherwise if I hadn't dropped out, explored other things, and come back. Sometimes, all you need is to leave something for long enough to gain perspective.

Best of luck to all!
Glad it worked out for you! I took a similar route. Went to school for 2 years, hated it, took 4 years off and returned Fall 2015 to pursue a completely different major. It was the best choice for me and I have been performing much better than I had in the past.

Granted I will be 28 when I graduate but I will have a bachelor's and a master's, so really it all worked out in the end!

Old 09-05-2016, 09:38 PM

4,860 posts, read 6,924,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StayLucky View Post

Best of luck to all!

Now that you're studying business, take it from a business owner (33 years). Make sure that you have a decent grasp of Accounting (you don't need to major in it though) and computers. In business management there are lots of theory classes that make you think, but honestly aren't often very applicable to your first jobs. Finance? Important. Understanding financial statements? Also, important. Anything that's offered giving you hands on training in entrepreneurial preparation? Very important.

Don't be afraid of sales. Nothing in business happens until something is sold. It's often where the really big money can be made. Plus, it's the stepping stone to running your own company.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities