Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2015, 10:27 PM

5 posts, read 8,914 times

Advertisements

Long story short. My parents are forcing me to attend a Christian college.

Long story: I completed a full semester already at this Christian College, but there's been a few issues. I will admit that I'm the cause of them. I'm not getting along with a few of the people in the same dorm as me. They like to have parties late at night and I can hear it through my own headphones in addition to using ear plugs at the same time.

I've lived in dorms before and it was never this loud at the other college. We have "quiet" hours beginning at 10pm, which aren't enforced.

Also, people are constantly disobeying the rules here and its a little annoying with the backwards sense of punishment. One thing just as wrong as another gets punishment but if someone else is doing it, they don't get punished.

I've been called evil for not going to church. Church isn't required and I'm not even a Christian. I've told my dad(who isn't very religious) and I've hinted about it to my mom (who is a Christian)

Now I'm 22 years old and a legal adult. I have no income and was job searching all day yesterday and had an offer for an interview this Monday. But I have to leave Sunday to be back in time for classes. Unless my dad says I don't have to go in the next two hours.

I've actually got a number of positive reviews by managers and businesses about my resume and former job history (I have not been reprimanded at any previous jobs and have held one continuously for a year and a half until I had an injury)

Sorry for the long post, but I'm in tears and extremely depressed. I've used up all the reasonable arguments and defended each one as I would in a debate. What can I do? My parents are very controlling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2015, 10:39 PM

3,349 posts, read 2,847,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonForce View Post

Long story: I completed a full semester already at this Christian College, but there's been a few issues. I will admit that I'm the cause of them. I'm not getting along with a few of the people in the same dorm as me. They like to have parties late at night and I can hear it through my own headphones in addition to using ear plugs at the same time.

I've lived in dorms before and it was never this loud at the other college. We have "quiet" hours beginning at 10pm, which aren't enforced.

Also, people are constantly disobeying the rules here and its a little annoying with the backwards sense of punishment. One thing just as wrong as another gets punishment but if someone else is doing it, they don't get punished.

I've been called evil for not going to church. Church isn't required and I'm not even a Christian. I've told my dad(who isn't very religious) and I've hinted about it to my mom (who is a Christian)

Now I'm 22 years old and a legal adult. I have no income and was job searching all day yesterday and had an offer for an interview this Monday. But I have to leave Sunday to be back in time for classes. Unless my dad says I don't have to go in the next two hours.

I've actually got a number of positive reviews by managers and businesses about my resume and former job history (I have not been reprimanded at any previous jobs and have held one continuously for a year and a half until I had an injury)

Sorry for the long post, but I'm in tears and extremely depressed. I've used up all the reasonable arguments and defended each one as I would in a debate. What can I do? My parents are very controlling.
Finish the semester and go somewhere.
Most Colleges are like this.

Old 03-14-2015, 10:41 PM

Not very much help about telling me how I can talk to my parents and convince them not to make me go.

My main reason for wanting to stay is the job interview. My dad says I need a job to stay but won't let me stay for the interview.

Old 03-14-2015, 10:45 PM

17,619 posts, read 17,665,401 times
Is your parents paying for your college or are you getting on scholarships/grants/student loans outside of assistance from your parent? At age 22, you are an adult. But if your parents are paying for your college education then you're limited. Sometimes we don't communicate well verbally. Have you tried writing a letter to your parents detailing your concerns? Don't just write and send. Write the letter, save it, come back to it later and re-read the letter to make any corrections or additions, then have someone read the letter for their opinion. I find that when I write a letter I can clear my thoughts and sometimes find an answer for myself. If you write it well, you're parents could understand your point of view. That's still no guarantee they'll support your choice to leave or choice of replacement college. It's still worth a try.

Old 03-14-2015, 10:53 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,262,628 times
There is more than one Christian University. Have you looked at others? There is a reason your parents want you to go to the school. You are age 22. You should be in your senior year and ready to graduate in June -- unless you got a late start.

Old 03-14-2015, 10:58 PM

3,349 posts, read 2,847,536 times
Quote:
Not very much help about telling me how I can talk to my parents and convince them not to make me go.

My main reason for wanting to stay is the job interview. My dad says I need a job to stay but won't let me stay for the interview.
Just talk to them and stop being a little kid.

Old 03-14-2015, 11:11 PM

12,108 posts, read 23,278,346 times
Why do they want you to go to that college?

Old 03-14-2015, 11:16 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,236,769 times
Quote:

If it is your parents dime it is your parents rules, even at the age of 22.
This is something you should have thought about before you started college.
At the age of 18 you are legally an adult and do not have to do as your parents tell you to do unless you volunteered for the "Mom & Dad take care of me financially " ride, you have no complaints because you volunteered.

If you want to make your own choices find your own job, find your own place to live, pay for your own college.

Old 03-14-2015, 11:46 PM

3,633 posts, read 5,355,886 times
Quote:

It's your life and your future... if you don't want to attend there, don't. Even if it means moving out on your own and dealing with student loans to attend the school you prefer.

Old 03-14-2015, 11:56 PM

Thanks for the help to the people that actually bother to read all the post.

And for those that asked: my parents knew I didn't want to go to any Christian college from the beginning.

I never asked for their help to pay for college.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities