Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2008, 12:41 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,374,384 times

Advertisements

Most people who say not to consider a non-ABA school live in states that don't have state-accredited schools like CA. I would urge you to visit one of the state-accredited schools in CA near where you intend on living. Judge for yourself. These are excellent law schools (the few that I know about) and once you pass the bar, only those interested in the false sense of superiority that the ABA has perpetuated, will shun you.

Understand the difference between a state-accredited school and an unaccredited law school. There is a difference. Most of those less-informed group both schools together as simply "non-ABA" which is a mistake.

Again, if you can get into an ABA school, by all means do that. However, state-accredited schools are a viable option, worth considering. CA and MA are ahead of the rest of the nation in terms of making legal education available to all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2008, 01:41 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,455,230 times
Yeah, we don't have them here in Texas and I've heard folks refer to those non-ABA schools in California as "California Only Law Schools" and it's sortof looked down on. I'd say it's just lack of familiarity with the concept. Most states don't have these state only law schools, so here in Texas it's a moot point. You go to an ABA approved school or you don't go - if want to sit for the bar here.

Old 01-28-2008, 06:52 AM

1,478 posts, read 5,081,989 times
My wife is in Law School, and I've learned that the American Bar Association is a cartel that absolutely owns the legal profession. If you want anything out of practicing law, you need their blessing.
Go to an ABA school.

Old 01-28-2008, 10:50 AM

253 posts, read 1,106,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastern Roamer View Post
My wife is in Law School, and I've learned that the American Bar Association is a cartel that absolutely owns the legal profession. If you want anything out of practicing law, you need their blessing.
Go to an ABA school.
I happen to agree with the sentiment of not attending a non ABA law school if you want to practice law. There are plenty of law schools in Cali w/ part time programs. Jobs in law are hard to come by at times. I have a few friends who went to Temple Law which is ranked #58 & they have had a hard time finding jobs as lawyers after law school. One still hasn't found one. I also agree that the Lsat is crap & the ABA should be done away with but it is what it is.The one exception to this I believe are law schools that are not approved but will be approved before you graduate. I was seriously considering law school & I have had a few non ABA schools send me information that states they'd give me a scholarship. I ultimately decided against it b/c they are in places that I can not move to.

Old 01-29-2008, 08:33 AM

2,467 posts, read 12,243,518 times
I would also say that if you are going to invest that much time and money in going to school, why would you go to a school that limits your future options?

Old 05-20-2008, 04:35 PM

109 posts, read 214,234 times
Default A reason for non ABA

I am considering one of the state approved (non ABA) CA law schools. I have several reasons for this. 1. I have completed all the course work for my BS in Criminal Justice from University of Phoenix. However, I do not have a diploma. It seems that they added a course after I started the program. It is B** S** course designed to get students who have been out of school used to college life. After much effort, I was able to get them to waive the course, but they still want me to earn the credit hours. I was told to take another required course. Of course, I have already taken all the required courses. I am at a stand still. 2. I also have an AAS in paralegal studies, but I have not been able to get hired anywhere. I believe part of this is age discrimination. While I have long hair, I had cut my hair before I started applying for positions. 3. My LSAT score is not high enough 146. I think the LSAT is very overrated. My work in paralegal school shows me that I am very qualified.

I am not interested in joining a big law firm and making big bucks. I would like to open a small office and help the underdog. Also, I would like to have the legal training as preventive medicine. I am opposed to the way our leaders are selling out our country to the New World Order. Because of my beliefs ( I believe that there is nothing sinful about polygamy - as long as it is between consenting adults, I believe in home schooling, I am opposed to vaccinations etc.) I could eventually need skills to defend my family against Gestapo tactics such as those being used against the FLDS people in Texas.

These state accredited schools are much cheaper, and I can afford to go to them. Which ones do you regard as being good schools and which ones should I avoid. Upon passing the bar, I can live in a city bordering on CA and open an office in CA or join a firm there. After a few years, I can then backdoor into another state. Ideas, suggestions?

Old 07-06-2008, 05:10 PM

8 posts, read 23,107 times
Default Is everyone who is pushing toward an ABA accredited school...

Is everyone who is pushing toward an ABA accredited school doing so because they're not taking into consideration the person's 1. Age and 2. Situation?

For example. I'm 36. Just lost my livlihood about 2 years ago. Was making over 1 million a year and now I have NOTHING. So I decided it was time to go to law school but at the same time, when you're this age, you have to work full time and time is a major factor. I plan on starting my own firm either way once I graduate and don't want to do the whole corporate thing so is it that bad to go with a non accredited? I know some people who spent the money, time, etc at a real school feel as though others have taken a "short cut" but... Anyway, I'm just trying to figure out everyone's thoughts as to why they roll with the accredited and if they're taking the person's AGE and SITUATION into consideration?

Old 07-09-2008, 12:57 PM

877 posts, read 2,076,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pane66 View Post
Is everyone who is pushing toward an ABA accredited school doing so because they're not taking into consideration the person's 1. Age and 2. Situation?

For example. I'm 36. Just lost my livlihood about 2 years ago. Was making over 1 million a year and now I have NOTHING. So I decided it was time to go to law school but at the same time, when you're this age, you have to work full time and time is a major factor. I plan on starting my own firm either way once I graduate and don't want to do the whole corporate thing so is it that bad to go with a non accredited? I know some people who spent the money, time, etc at a real school feel as though others have taken a "short cut" but... Anyway, I'm just trying to figure out everyone's thoughts as to why they roll with the accredited and if they're taking the person's AGE and SITUATION into consideration?
If you were making over a million dollars a year, you made some poor decisions to find yourself in this position.

I went to an accredited law school because if you want to practice law, it is the only way to go. You can go to law school part time, I have friends that I went to school with who took 5 years to get their degree (in a 3 year doctoral program). If you don't go to an ABA school, don't expect to practice law outside of California. Plus, the alumni network at an ABA school is going to be better.

Basically, if you know for certain that you will never practice outside of California and don't feel the need for a large alumni pool, non-accredited will save you some money, at least in the short run. But employment opportunities are going to be more likely at an accredited law school, and out of state options become available as well.

Also, keep in mind that the field of law is not an instant moneymaker. Straight out of law school you might be making $100k/year billing 2000 hours (at a big firm), but there are plenty of other lawyers making $50-60k/year and still billing over 2000 hours.

Old 08-01-2008, 10:06 PM

1 posts, read 7,303 times
Default Law School

I have an MBA degree and I decided to go to law school. I decided on a non-ABA school primarily due to a busy work and family schedule. I truly believe that an ABA school is the way to go if at all possible; however if you pass the bar, who cares. People who attended ABA schools will probably look down upon those who obtained their degree from non aba schools but the same argument could be madeby someone who attended an Ivy school vs. a state school. As I mentioned I have an MBA from a small private collge that has been around since 1908. I met a small business owner who graduated from Harvard with an MBA. He felt that he was superior because of where he went eventhough he made several mistakes preparing simple financial statements for his auditor to review.

In closing who cares as long as you are confident in your education and you are able to apply what you have learned.

Old 08-02-2008, 02:41 AM

87 posts, read 524,036 times
There are a few misconceptions that need to be addressed in this thread.

Concord Law and William Howard Taft are not accredited by the CA bar because they CAN NOT be accredited under current policy. The CA bar does not accredit correspondence/online law schools. It's safe to say that if this policy was changed, they would both achieve CA bar accreditation with little effort.

The above schools are currently accredited by federally recognized agencies, which brings a host of benefits, including participation in federal student loan and aid programs as well as widespread recognition by government agencies and other higher education institutions (excluding ABA law schools of course). Most CA bar accredited schools are not also accredited by a federally recognized agencies, and this is something that any school would get ASAP if they felt they could achieve it.

To address the concerns of a non ABA degree being "CA only", this is not as drastic as it might first appear. Most states, after a certain period of practice of law in CA (usually around five years) will allow a member of the CA bar to sit for their bar exam, whether or not the candidate has an ABA JD. And, lest anyone think otherwise, the ABA will happily invite any member of the CA bar to pay dues and become a full member, regardless of school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities