Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2015, 07:48 AM

17,717 posts, read 29,869,535 times

Advertisements

I find this weird. I thought/think one of major aspects of college is to stretch your brain and take challenging courses.
Yes, engineering requires effort, but I can assure that we found plenty of time for beer.
I think my engine degrees were worth it. I learned to think analytically.
You can always step down from engineering (yes, the MBA was trivial) while you cannot easily step up (quantum physics).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2015, 08:12 AM

2,605 posts, read 2,716,629 times
Is there really high Turn over in those degree? I always thought people who went into hard science liked math and science from young age & that's why they choose this option. Doing a humanitarian degree would have been very difficult for them. People who weren't good in math/science didn't choose hard science, instead they tend to go for life science with the hope of getting into medical area

But then again I didn't do my undergrad in engineering. I went to engineering school during my MS study. I had different perspective

Old 05-19-2015, 08:24 AM

2,151 posts, read 1,358,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
I find this weird. I thought/think one of major aspects of college is to stretch your brain and take challenging courses.
Yes, engineering requires effort, but I can assure that we found plenty of time for beer.
I think my engine degrees were worth it. I learned to think analytically.
You can always step down from engineering (yes, the MBA was trivial) while you cannot easily step up (quantum physics).
I think the difficulty of stepping up is overhyped. I went from computer science to quantum physics and nuclear physics (multiple degrees). They were all about the same level of difficulty.

Old 05-19-2015, 08:45 AM

4,187 posts, read 11,941,397 times
I went through CS 20+ years ago. The courses you listed.. it actually got easier as I got into my track courses. All the Math and Physics were designed to get rid a lot of the students. There were of course kids who were good in Calculus but when they got into algorithm and machine languages, they bailed.

It's like every majors, not everyone is cut out for it.

Old 05-19-2015, 08:47 AM

15,804 posts, read 20,559,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianf408 View Post
Those majors have high drop-out rates, especially engineering. In my engineering orientation course, the first day there were 125 students. The professor told us to look to our left and right - most likely neither of those people will graduate with an engineering degree.

He was right, by the end of the semester the class was down to less than 100, and the graduating class 4 years later was 24 students. The courses are intense, many get 'weeded out' by the end of the sophomore year.

We got that speech as well.

Started freshman year with over 100 students. First two years we lost a lot. Changed to different majors or left school in general.

Graduating class was 25-30 students.

This was Mech. Engineering

Old 05-19-2015, 10:14 AM

1,054 posts, read 1,430,301 times
It makes sense that the most difficult majors would have the most drop-outs. Engineering, physics, math, accounting, pre-med, architecture are difficult, require you to be smarter than average, and require more drive than other majors. The Freshman and Sophomore level classes are designed to weed out the students who aren't smart enough and who don't have enough drive to succeed in that area before they get too far down the road in that major.

When you think about it, it makes sense. These majors lead to jobs with a higher level of public responsibility so you would want smarter, more driven students to pursue these fields and you would want the less smart and driven to get out of these fields before they get out into the working world. When you think about it, do you really want people of average intelligence operating on you, or designing the safety features in your car, or building the bridge you drive on every day? Or would you rather have the best and brightest doing these jobs?

We like to think in America that people can pursue any job they want to if they just put in the effort, but this really isn't true. The average person just isn't capable of being an engineer, physicist, or doctor, no matter how hard they work at it.

Old 05-19-2015, 03:06 PM

3,376 posts, read 6,112,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by patches403 View Post
It makes sense that the most difficult majors would have the most drop-outs. Engineering, physics, math, accounting, pre-med, architecture are difficult, require you to be smarter than average, and require more drive than other majors. The Freshman and Sophomore level classes are designed to weed out the students who aren't smart enough and who don't have enough drive to succeed in that area before they get too far down the road in that major.

When you think about it, it makes sense. These majors lead to jobs with a higher level of public responsibility so you would want smarter, more driven students to pursue these fields and you would want the less smart and driven to get out of these fields before they get out into the working world. When you think about it, do you really want people of average intelligence operating on you, or designing the safety features in your car, or building the bridge you drive on every day? Or would you rather have the best and brightest doing these jobs?

We like to think in America that people can pursue any job they want to if they just put in the effort, but this really isn't true. The average person just isn't capable of being an engineer, physicist, or doctor, no matter how hard they work at it.
And if people aren't being "weeded out", then there's also the amount of times one's actually allowed to keep taking particular courses until they pass it.
So much for being part of the "never win and never quit" segment.

Some of us don't want to settle for a mundane career/job path and an ultimately, short life.
I say if we're getting our funds from some other source(working whatever job and having the social life of a fence-post), just let us keep going at it until we finally get to that level of understanding the material.

Old 05-19-2015, 03:21 PM

3,613 posts, read 4,123,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentstrider View Post
And if people aren't being "weeded out", then there's also the amount of times one's actually allowed to keep taking particular courses until they pass it.
So much for being part of the "never win and never quit" segment.

Some of us don't want to settle for a mundane career/job path and an ultimately, short life.
I say if we're getting our funds from some other source(working whatever job and having the social life of a fence-post), just let us keep going at it until we finally get to that level of understanding the material.
There is nothing stopping you from retaking the classes until you do well enough to pass other than your wallet. The weeding out process is more on the student side when they get that first C or worse and decide they are not cut out for the major. Most of the time the college doesn't care if you get a D and retake a class. I know a lot of students that had to retake a 100 level class to move along in their major. Sometime even just having a different prof can make a difference in how you do in the class.

Old 05-19-2015, 03:25 PM

30,487 posts, read 19,246,478 times
I attended a premium Engineering University and my CS professor said, you need to pass this course with a C or better to take the next CS course and we need to weed out about 80% of you so only 20% of you will get a C or better....good luck.

Old 05-19-2015, 04:04 PM

12,869 posts, read 9,093,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keraT View Post
Is there really high Turn over in those degree? I always thought people who went into hard science liked math and science from young age & that's why they choose this option. Doing a humanitarian degree would have been very difficult for them. People who weren't good in math/science didn't choose hard science, instead they tend to go for life science with the hope of getting into medical area
Yes, weedout seems to be pretty much true for undergrad. If you survive past sophomore year, it gets better. But in general the humanitarian courses weren't that hard, just not interesting. Mostly boring stuff to fit in between the science and engineering courses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patches403 View Post
True.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities