Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2015, 03:32 PM

1 posts, read 2,287 times

Advertisements

I attended ITT-tech about half way through life got expensive I failed and had to quit going. I did not like ITT-tech had very bad experiences as well.

I'm in the process of applying to a community college, my question is do I have to put that I attended ITT-tech on the next college application and and provide a transcript which I do not have ?

The other question is why should I have to report that when none of ITT's credits transfer?

Thankyou
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2015, 03:50 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,436,414 times
You don't have to. Will you need to explain that period of time in your life or would it even come up?

Old 05-21-2015, 03:51 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,592,094 times
Did you receive financial aid? If so then yes.

Old 05-21-2015, 08:12 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,917,838 times
Yes, it is necessary. If you do not then you will be expelled. They do background checks and find out. It all comes up.

Just put it on there, request the transcript from ITT tech and be done with it.

Another piece of advice, if your grades are bad... apply first get accepted and then call the school and explain your situation and if you should send it in or not.

Don't try to pull one on the university or you could get expelled with academic misconduct.. and THEN you will be in some serious trouble.

Universities don't mess around with those things because it affects their accreditation.

Old 05-22-2015, 01:42 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,471,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
Yes, it is necessary. If you do not then you will be expelled. They do background checks and find out. It all comes up.

Just put it on there, request the transcript from ITT tech and be done with it.

Another piece of advice, if your grades are bad... apply first get accepted and then call the school and explain your situation and if you should send it in or not.

Don't try to pull one on the university or you could get expelled with academic misconduct.. and THEN you will be in some serious trouble.

Universities don't mess around with those things because it affects their accreditation.
I agree with this. Many colleges don't check regularly, but when they do, it could mean expulsion. If you already graduated, then they can revoke your degree. If ITT Tech is in the National Student Clearinghouse (most colleges are), then schools can easily find out that you attended.

As far as not having a transcript, most colleges will require the transcript to be sent directly from the school anyway. You should be able to easily get one unless you have a balance at ITT Tech.

Old 05-22-2015, 02:23 PM

733 posts, read 852,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marco592 View Post
I attended ITT-tech about half way through life got expensive I failed and had to quit going. I did not like ITT-tech had very bad experiences as well.

I'm in the process of applying to a community college, my question is do I have to put that I attended ITT-tech on the next college application and and provide a transcript which I do not have ?

The other question is why should I have to report that when none of ITT's credits transfer?

Thankyou
No, you do not.

I so very very very much any digging into your background will occur. ITT is a for-profit private education business and you needn't put it.

They are not going to expel you for not putting a partial semester at ITT on your application.

Old 05-22-2015, 03:05 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,602,405 times
Seasick and Spazkat9696 are both correct, depending on the situation.

If you received any financial aid for ITT and plan to get more financial aid, you will need to list ITT.

If you did not receive any financial aid, you don't need to list it: it's a for-profit college and you aren't transferring credits.

In general, Admissions at a public college doesn't care about what you did or didn't do at a for-profit college, plus they don't have resources to check (it costs money to access the Nat'l Clearing House -- there are cheaper in-state databases for public schools). They will be more interested if you recently attended an in-state public 4-year or community college, flunked out, and are now trying to get into another public four-year college. Even that can't always be determined if you didn't receive any financial aid and don't transfer any credits. Some colleges only report financial aid students who've flunked out.

My advice is to always be honest when there was financial aid because it leaves a paper trail. If there was not, then you have more leeway in the application.

Old 05-22-2015, 08:59 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,471,290 times
Be careful before you take the advice of people on this forum. The profit status does not matter (if the for-profit is regionally accredited, most public schools will accept their credits anyway). Whether or not you're transferring credits does not matter. Whether or not you received financial aid at ITT Tech does not matter (although, almost no one can afford to pay for ITT Tech out of pocket). If the school asks you on the application to list all colleges attended, that is exactly what they mean. ITT Tech is an accredited college. Regardless of whether or not the school will accept their credits due to it having national accreditation instead of regional accreditation, the school still needs to be listed. I can tell you from personal experience that a public college I attended said I would not be able to graduate until they received a transcript from a for-profit college I attended. I was honest that I attended there, but I couldn't get a transcript until I paid off my balance.

The National Student Clearinghouse has information on millions of students that has nothing to do with financial aid. All a school has to do is fill in your information, and they'll get a list of all of the colleges you've attended if they are part of NSC's network. Schools have used NSC to find out that students omitted schools on their application and have used that information to make them to turn over transcripts, expel them, or revoke their degrees.

The National Student Clearinghouse is not that expensive to use. Schools typically buy access in bulk. The National Student Clearinghouse has thousands of colleges reporting information to them.

Cornell used the National Student Clearinghouse.

Quote:
A student was forced to leave Cornell and told to repay three semesters’ worth of financial aid for failing to disclose on her application that she had attended a community college several years prior.
Cornell expels student, demands $100K in paymentThe Ithaca Voice

Quote:
Below said 95 percent of all college attendance records are documented in the National Student Clearinghouse, a centralized database in the U.S. If a student applies at Southeast who did not just graduate from high school, Southeast has access to the National Student Clearinghouse system, called Student Tracker, which allows Southeast to view other colleges and universities that a student attended.
Quote:
On a college side we want to know everywhere they have attended," Below said. "I don't think all universities go to that extent and check the National Student Clearinghouse the same way, but we do because we know it's common for students to not disclose all the universities that they have attended. However, on an international landscape, obviously there is not a centralized database that tells us if a student has attended somewhere else.
The Arrow: Local News: University officials say they correctly followed admission process in Nafis case (11/05/12)

Quote:
These Offices will also confirm the veracity of each application through the North Carolina
Department of Public Instruction Enrollment database, the University of North Carolina
Suspension/Expulsion database, and the National Student Clearing House.
http://www.ecu.edu/cs-studentaffairs...olicy-2012.pdf

Last edited by L210; 05-22-2015 at 09:28 PM..

Old 05-23-2015, 02:10 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,124,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemur View Post
If you received any financial aid for ITT and plan to get more financial aid, you will need to list ITT.

If you did not receive any financial aid, you don't need to list it: it's a for-profit college and you aren't transferring credits.

In general, Admissions at a public college doesn't care about what you did or didn't do at a for-profit college, plus they don't have resources to check (it costs money to access the Nat'l Clearing House -- there are cheaper in-state databases for public schools).
This is not true. Most schools want you to list all the schools you attended.

OP, it's best to ask the school you are applying to. They will be in the best position to tell you whether you are required to put Itt-tech on the application.

Best of luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities