Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2008, 10:38 PM

3,360 posts, read 12,269,233 times

Advertisements

I went back after a long career and at the same time the kids were going. Graduated in my early fifties. Can't say I was able to find a job because of it but that has much more to do with the economy here and probably a bit of ageism.

Been thinking about a master's but can't decide what to concentrate on as I have so many interests. Would also need to get an assistantship so as not to go into debt.

Initially I tried taking classes in subjects that I had business or life experience in and found them boring but I did learn a lot in areas I wasn't previously familiar with such as new technologies. I had no idea how to even turn on a computer when I started. I made sure to take classes that were not only challenging but fun as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2008, 10:55 PM

1,642 posts, read 3,655,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgoldie View Post
I went back after a long career and at the same time the kids were going. Graduated in my early fifties. Can't say I was able to find a job because of it but that has much more to do with the economy here and probably a bit of ageism.

Been thinking about a master's but can't decide what to concentrate on as I have so many interests. Would also need to get an assistantship so as not to go into debt.

Initially I tried taking classes in subjects that I had business or life experience in and found them boring but I did learn a lot in areas I wasn't previously familiar with such as new technologies. I had no idea how to even turn on a computer when I started. I made sure to take classes that were not only challenging but fun as well.
Well, thanks for the dose of reality, goldie! I mean that! It's funny how the older generation often make the better employees but aren't always considered due to their age. Wassup w/dat?

Computers are what got me to go back to school when my kids were teens. Like you, I was pretty afraid of computers. I didn't know where that button was that people must have pushed to cause their computers to crash but I didn't want to find out the hard way! I wanted to go back to work and knew that I'd need to know about computers so I started with an Introduction to Computers class and had a blast! I got over my fears and went on to take several other computer classes as well as music and psychology, a couple of my other interests. I never did get a degree but I did put them to work in my life...and had a blast taking the classes!

This past year, I've taken classes in HTML for web design and writing for magazines. Both classes are in things I love and will allow me to do things that suit me in this stage of my life.

I'm glad you shared your story. I wanted to comment on one line in particular: ("I made sure to take classes that were not only challenging but fun as well.") I think that's something we learn as we get a little wiser. I mentored a young woman a few years back and that was one thing I recommended to her...to keep it interesting as she goes along. I see students load up their schedule with a whole lot of hard classes at once and it is enough to cause them to give up sometimes. Have you seen that, too?

Old 04-17-2008, 10:56 AM

Can't say I have a basis to answer that question. Both of my boys were Phi Beta Kappa, one in math/physics and the other in economics who were in some pretty difficult classes. Same with their friends. They did have a tight social group in which they had fun.

What may be difficult for some kids may not be for others depending on whether they enjoy the subject matter or not and whether they're use to challenging themselves. A heavy load may indeed be fun for some kids as it is also in work situations, depends on the kid. There are other subjects that I'd consider fun, such as theatre, which take up a great deal of time. The worst thing is to be bored.

All in all, life is too short: have fun, work hard.

Old 04-17-2008, 11:10 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,240,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsgenealogy View Post
It's funny how the older generation often make the better employees but aren't always considered due to their age. Wassup w/dat?
Younger people are willing to work harder for less pay and are easier to boss around. In essence, they are naive.

Older people demand/deserve more respect and are generally 'set in their ways'. Not that the old dog cannot learn new tricks, just that the old dog as become too stubborn. In essence, older people are not willing to kiss behind in order to future their careers.

Old 04-17-2008, 11:24 AM

Can't say I was ever in the kiss behind category. Not in the inflexible one either, as a matter of fact i can't stand being in a unflexible situation especially one at work.

In my case I think it's because I spent my whole career being in charge of others. This can be frightening to a hiring peon particularly a young one. I haven't spent the time I should lately in networking which in addition to nepotism is the main form of hiring here.

Old 04-17-2008, 11:42 AM

10 posts, read 34,304 times
I'm 47 and have been a high school teacher for 20 years and I simply cannot take it any longer. I am going to go back to school and work toward an Accounting degree. Any accountants out there have any advice for me?

Old 04-17-2008, 07:55 PM

1,642 posts, read 3,655,212 times
"Welcome to the forum, joyannel!"

I can't imagine what it must be to teach teens today. I am impressed that you're going to get your education to be able to change careers. Sounds like a great plan. I don't have any advice for you except to say, "Go for it!"

Old 04-17-2008, 08:12 PM

25,464 posts, read 13,574,744 times
Smile Rewarding career

Quote:
Originally Posted by joyannel View Post
I'm 47 and have been a high school teacher for 20 years and I simply cannot take it any longer. I am going to go back to school and work toward an Accounting degree. Any accountants out there have any advice for me?

Many positions will be available for Accountants. According to the latest research for jobs in demand, accounting is among the top 5. Financial institutions will always be on the lookout for qualified accountants. I have retired from my position as an accountant/business manager for a non-profit Counseling Center and prior to that as an accountant for a university in St. Louis. It really is a rewarding and challenging career. Good luck to you.

Old 04-17-2008, 08:26 PM

6,884 posts, read 11,243,693 times
Smile Going back

Quote:
Originally Posted by joyannel View Post
My husband is a CPA and I need to learn more so I can help him. My plan - finish up the 2 classes I need, then get the 5th year (required here in FL), go for the CPA but pass the test to be an enrolled agent and REALLY help him grow the business. I have a lot of ideas but I need more knowledge.

I liked the post from the woman who went back at 70 and got her CPA - it gave me hope b/c I will probably still be working into my 80's!!!

Old 04-17-2008, 09:09 PM

1,250 posts, read 3,605,757 times
I dropped out of college ...I just gradually got bored ...just stopped going to class ....I spent my time playing guitar and hanging around used record stores (it was the mid-1980's) ....I went back 9 years later and got my BA (geography major) ...it was abit weird being in my early 30's ...I kinda still looked young (with my hat on) ...anyway it felt good to finally get it but I really haven't "done" anything with it ....shud have kept going and got a MA ...Phd ....BA isn't worth as much as it used to ...but I feel "educated"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities