Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How did you pay for college?
Student Loans 5 9.43%
Financial Aid 2 3.77%
Parents/Someone else paid for College 21 39.62%
Scholarships 6 11.32%
Other 16 30.19%
Part time/full time job 3 5.66%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2015, 06:20 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,473,858 times

Advertisements

I went to an expensive private school while working full time at a Fortune 500 corporation. My employer paid 100% of my tuition as long as I got a C or better.

I got a D in one class so had to pay for that class myself. The company paid for all other classes. I also paid my own living expenses and books. Since I was working full time I was living on my own anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2015, 03:45 PM

2,744 posts, read 4,231,748 times
My parents and grandmother paid. It was 75-84. I didn't live in s dorm. My college was not especially expensive. Private, but maybe 15 thosand a year.

I worked part time and used the money for books. My deepest regret is that I attended a commuter college. My family would have paid for that too, but since they never went away to college, they didn't push it.

Old 08-09-2015, 10:32 PM

30 posts, read 28,983 times
Parents paid for all of it. Honestly, I couldn't imagine going to college while also having to worry about student loans; you have enough to worry about as is.

Old 08-10-2015, 05:24 AM

3,613 posts, read 4,115,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcityguy0 View Post
Parents paid for all of it. Honestly, I couldn't imagine going to college while also having to worry about student loans; you have enough to worry about as is.
You don't have to worry about student loans while you are in college, federal loans anyway, payments are deferred until 6 months after you graduate.

Old 08-10-2015, 02:14 PM

396 posts, read 409,460 times
State paid my entire way as long as I agreed to teach for four years after graduation. Some days I am thankful, other days I wonder if the loans would have been worth it.

Old 08-10-2015, 02:37 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,886,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwerty View Post
You don't have to worry about student loans while you are in college, federal loans anyway, payments are deferred until 6 months after you graduate.
If "worry about student loans" means the same as "having to make payments" then, yes, you may be correct. But you still have those loans hanging over your head from the day the loan agreement is signed. I didn't have undergrad loans, but I did in grad school. And I can certainly tell you, for those two years when I did not have to make payments, I certainly "worried" about that debt. Maybe that's one of the problems today with people having so much debt--they just don't worry about it. "Hey, no big deal, everybody's in debt, who cares?..."

Old 08-10-2015, 02:56 PM

3,613 posts, read 4,115,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
If "worry about student loans" means the same as "having to make payments" then, yes, you may be correct. But you still have those loans hanging over your head from the day the loan agreement is signed. I didn't have undergrad loans, but I did in grad school. And I can certainly tell you, for those two years when I did not have to make payments, I certainly "worried" about that debt. Maybe that's one of the problems today with people having so much debt--they just don't worry about it. "Hey, no big deal, everybody's in debt, who cares?..."
Or they accept that it will happen, plan accordingly so they can pay it off in a short time and put their efforts toward their schooling and not toward worrying about student loans.

Old 08-10-2015, 03:15 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,886,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwerty View Post
Or they accept that it will happen, plan accordingly so they can pay it off in a short time and put their efforts toward their schooling and not toward worrying about student loans.
I accepted it, and planned well, and focused on school. And I did pay it off quickly.

But just the fact that I had debt felt like an anchor around my neck. As very well it should. People really should be much more "worried" when they are in debt. I went to school with so may people who took out extra student loan money just for "living on" or frittering away, with no concern that they now have this debt hanging over them. That's why a lot of people my age (mid 40s) are still paying off school debts, and it appears the younger generations are even worse. It's just become "normal."

Old 08-10-2015, 03:59 PM

4,366 posts, read 4,577,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Love_Enterprise Inc View Post
I qualify for Financial Aid since my family income is average
Congratulations. I used a combination of loans and grants, but I wish someone would have taught me money management or something. I wound up spending way too much and now can't go back to school until I pay it off.

Old 08-10-2015, 07:05 PM

850 posts, read 901,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
I accepted it, and planned well, and focused on school. And I did pay it off quickly.

But just the fact that I had debt felt like an anchor around my neck. As very well it should. People really should be much more "worried" when they are in debt. I went to school with so may people who took out extra student loan money just for "living on" or frittering away, with no concern that they now have this debt hanging over them. That's why a lot of people my age (mid 40s) are still paying off school debts, and it appears the younger generations are even worse. It's just become "normal."
I can see how some college students tend to worry a lot about student loans with the rising tuition costs. Luckily my state offers a scholarship to every student that graduated high school with a 3.0 GPA and maintains that GPA during college a scholarship that covers 90% of the tuition and fees at your public college; therefore, I managed to come out with no student loans since I only had to pay very little out of pocket. My opinion, if the student loans are manageable it's okay. If you come out owing 25k or less, you can afford to make those payments on almost any job. On the other hand one of my classmates owes 40k in student loans from both federal and private Loans and he said it is killing him even though he has a halfway decent paying job. Yes, college students with high student debt is feeling very worried right now because there is no guarantee they will land a good paying job when they graduate. It's hard for an underemployed college grad to make student loans payments on a $10 an hour Starbucks Job if they can't land a good paying job in their field within 6 months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities