Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How did you pay for college?
Student Loans 5 9.43%
Financial Aid 2 3.77%
Parents/Someone else paid for College 21 39.62%
Scholarships 6 11.32%
Other 16 30.19%
Part time/full time job 3 5.66%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2015, 09:31 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,510,312 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Voted other as there was no option for paying for it yourself, along with scholarship.
Me, too. I got some scholarships, and covered the rest myself.

For grad school, I got assistantships.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2015, 09:43 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,618,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
I accepted it, and planned well, and focused on school. And I did pay it off quickly.

But just the fact that I had debt felt like an anchor around my neck. As very well it should. People really should be much more "worried" when they are in debt. I went to school with so may people who took out extra student loan money just for "living on" or frittering away, with no concern that they now have this debt hanging over them. That's why a lot of people my age (mid 40s) are still paying off school debts, and it appears the younger generations are even worse. It's just become "normal."
The average middle class person borrows more to buy a midrange vehicle than I borrowed for a solid degree from a well-regarded private college and doesn't bat an eye at it.

Having a small loan to pay back for worthwhile training, education, and academic experience wasn't ever anything that felt like an anchor around my neck, personally. I don't think it's so much a matter of "being up to your eyeballs in debt is normalized in today's society!" (it certainly isn't in my life), but more a matter of, "certain things come at certain costs, and you prioritize and determine which ones are worthwhile for you to reasonably take on." Borrowing money to make a significant investment in myself never "worried" me.

Old 08-10-2015, 11:18 PM

24,130 posts, read 32,518,137 times
The majority of us received help from our parents or another person.

Loans have become ridiculous

Old 08-11-2015, 06:52 AM

394 posts, read 435,634 times
to be honest though all

Loans are not that bad if you can keep it "manageable"

I would say 50-60k tops is VERY manageable if you come out making 50k

so just be practical

Old 08-11-2015, 08:16 AM

23,652 posts, read 14,024,713 times
Military scholarship/parents (when Texas tuition was something like $4/hr) the first time around; my money and working for someone who paid other parts for the other three.

Old 08-11-2015, 08:28 AM

30 posts, read 29,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
If "worry about student loans" means the same as "having to make payments" then, yes, you may be correct. But you still have those loans hanging over your head from the day the loan agreement is signed. I didn't have undergrad loans, but I did in grad school. And I can certainly tell you, for those two years when I did not have to make payments, I certainly "worried" about that debt. Maybe that's one of the problems today with people having so much debt--they just don't worry about it. "Hey, no big deal, everybody's in debt, who cares?..."
Exactly. People who have student loans have a lot more to worry about than just eventually having to pay it off, such as applying for the jobs you really want to do versus applying for jobs that will pay off your debt.

Going to school without any debt is a completely different experience, with many people on this forum serving as living examples.

Old 08-11-2015, 07:58 PM

5,014 posts, read 10,705,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Military scholarship/parents (when Texas tuition was something like $4/hr) the first time around; my money and working for someone who paid other parts for the other three.
Don't you just love the Texas public university system? The only reason that I never accumulated debt as an undergrad was because I went to a public university in Texas way back when tuition was, like, $80/credit.

The education I received was amazing, especially considering how little I paid for it. Best decision of my life. Hook 'em horns!

Old 08-14-2015, 08:23 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,618,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcityguy0 View Post
Exactly. People who have student loans have a lot more to worry about than just eventually having to pay it off, such as applying for the jobs you really want to do versus applying for jobs that will pay off your debt.
Not necessarily, depending on your loan repayment terms and options.

I did a year-long volunteer corps placement immediately after graduating, which made me eligible for deferral during my enrollment in the program, since it was a nonprofit community service and I received no salary while doing it. It allowed me to do work within that role that I really wanted to do. After that, I worked in traditionally low-to-modestly paying fields for years (journalism, nonprofit, and education), and my loan repayment rate was always tailored to my income. I had only federal direct loans and always did the income contingent repayment plan.

There has never been a time in my life when I was precluded from applying to a job I really wanted to do, due to loan repayment issues.

Old 08-14-2015, 12:20 PM

20,770 posts, read 19,995,431 times
My husband didn't want to use his GI-bill, so he signed it over to me. I have 100% tuition assistance and if it doesn't cover me until I am finished with my Masters, I will pay from my savings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities