Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2015, 09:04 AM

6 posts, read 3,821 times

Advertisements

so im a full time student i was awarded aid that covered all 4 of my classes.last night i withdrew from 2 classes and added 2 more classes to replace those.. i guess my college system thinks im a part time student and awarded me part time aid and is now saying i owe 700..is there anyway to get this fix? the college is close today.. I know i have the full amount of aid im not sure why its showing up in the system like this i really pray this can be fixed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2015, 09:35 AM

3,613 posts, read 4,123,969 times
The system will probably catch up with your class change but it's not something you need to worry about today. Give the system a couple days and if it doesn't change, stop by your financial aid office.

Old 09-07-2015, 09:40 AM

ok thanks lol i got pretty nervous i dont have 700$ to give

Old 09-07-2015, 08:40 PM

i guess i should be worry i just got purged from my class

Old 09-08-2015, 05:09 AM

3,613 posts, read 4,123,969 times
Every school has a built in time for class changes and your Financial Aid won't be affected until this period is over--usually 4-6 weeks into the school year. Relax. Fix your schedule, give it a few days and then talk to the FA people if things don't update automatically.

Old 09-08-2015, 11:11 AM

4,059 posts, read 5,626,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwerty View Post
Every school has a built in time for class changes and your Financial Aid won't be affected until this period is over--usually 4-6 weeks into the school year. Relax. Fix your schedule, give it a few days and then talk to the FA people if things don't update automatically.

I'd disagree a bit here. What QWERTY is referring to is called a 'census date' and not all schools use one, and more importantly not all of them use the same one. It is possible but I wouldn't rely on it being the issue or it resolving automatically.

But the larger problem is that the shift may not be aid-related per se. Are you actually seeing that your aid has changed or are you making the assumption based on the fact that you now have a bill showing you owe?

It's entirely possible your aid hasn't changed at all and what you're seeing is a bill resulting related to 'refund policy.'

E.g. you signed up for 12 credits and were charged $6,000. You added 6 more credits for which you were assessed $3,000. You dropped 6 credits but weren't credited back the full $3,000 because they don't refund 100% after the term starts, but say only 75%.

So your net tuition in this scenario would be 6000-(3000-750)+3000 = 6750. A look at an itemized bill or your online account should help clear up which.

Of course, it's also possible the $700 charge is for something else entirely, like an increase in your meal plan, parking fines, etc. Without seeing the detail of your bill we're just guessing.

If the situation hasn't resolved today, or you can't tell what's happening from your bill, I'd make the call sooner rather than later, myself.

Old 09-08-2015, 12:44 PM

1,084 posts, read 2,480,070 times
^ OP, bler144 may be correct. I know that when I was in school, we had around a two week 'grace period' after classes started where we could change classes freely. After that, if we changed we had a partial refund period until midterms, when there was no refund for any dropped classes.

Ask the financial aid office if this was the case. At my school, the financial aid office published a calendar online that showed when they would start or stop activities (last day of class adjustments on 8/28/15, for example). If you do have to pay the $700, you can ask them if it is okay to pay them over the course of the semester (before finals). They may or may not be this flexible, I don't know, I have never done this but it doesn't hurt to ask.

Old 09-08-2015, 01:14 PM

ok i just left the school im actually in community college so aid is all i get to cover classes i was getting 2,8888 from financial aid & 650$ for a TN grant... the office CLAIMS the financial aid has been processed over the weekend electronic and that i might have to only have 6hrs or classes instead of 12.. i kept trying to tell the lady that i was awarded as a FULL TIME student until the systemn knocked me down to part time by mistake.. she keep talking about that she sees that i will be getting 1,444 aid & 325$ of the grant.. im like okay the COMPUTER SYSTEM that the community college has knocked me down to part time.why does a system has so much control anyways without a live person monitoring ? keep in mind i got a 500$ book check out of that full time aid money .. if i was part time i would have gotten lessor money if i was only taking 2 or 1 classes.. they have given me a headache i swear... so now i have to emailed my teachers to be reinstated into my classes and then the aid would pay for it.. so she claims.. i have gotten 2 emails back for my teachers , and im waiting on 2 more... hopefully they fix this soon because i have assignments due this week i also take classes online .

Old 09-08-2015, 01:17 PM

and as far as the grace period we had until actually nov to withdraw from fall classes, and they still had available classes to register for some im really confused.. she said i was suppose to come to the aid office to let them know about the changes..umm HELLO the office was closed sat,sun & monday geeez... i pray they fix this ..i dont even know why im getting the run around there should be some proof in the system that i was recieving full time aid i even got an email from them this summer.wish i would have saved it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities