Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2008, 12:18 PM

1,478 posts, read 5,082,292 times

Advertisements

So Economics is a Liberal Arts degree and Business is not. But some schools have a Business/Economics degree, but not many, it seems.

What schools offer Economics degrees in their business schools? I'd like an Economics & Finance degree without the work of a double major.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2008, 12:19 PM

1,720 posts, read 6,725,861 times
Well, where are you?
I think CSUN has that...you major in economics and minor in finance.
They have a great business program.

Old 01-28-2008, 12:47 PM

I'm in St. Petersburg, Florida. University of South Florida has the program, but I'm ready to get out of Florida because, among other reasons, the state school system is getting gutted for tax cuts.

What I'm referring to is instead of a major and a minor, it's one degree... Economics with a business core.

I don't know about CSUN, I'd prefer not to move to L.A. The Michael Eisner College of Education... is that the former Disney CEO, Michael Eisner?

I'm pretty open to where I'll relocate. Also, I'd prefer to be near or in a city as opposed to a remote university town. I'll be transferring after I finish my Business A.A. degree and I expect to finish it with a 3.5 GPA or better.
Thanks!

Old 01-28-2008, 07:50 PM

1,654 posts, read 7,345,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastern Roamer View Post
So Economics is a Liberal Arts degree and Business is not. But some schools have a Business/Economics degree, but not many, it seems.

What schools offer Economics degrees in their business schools? I'd like an Economics & Finance degree without the work of a double major.
Economics can be a liberal arts or business degree. The liberal arts degree is more "academic."

Old 01-29-2008, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Economics can be a liberal arts or business degree. The liberal arts degree is more "academic."
Right, but I'm under the impression that not all schools offer it as a business degree. Am I misunderstanding something?

Old 01-29-2008, 11:56 AM

1,720 posts, read 6,725,861 times
Well CSUN is here if you want it...=D

Old 01-29-2008, 04:08 PM

24 posts, read 151,668 times
Ya UH only offers it as a liberal arts degree. But other schools Ive seen only have Economics under business. And I think UNT actually had it under both but it had a different name for the business one like business economics or something

Old 01-30-2008, 09:52 PM

1,654 posts, read 7,345,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastern Roamer View Post
Right, but I'm under the impression that not all schools offer it as a business degree. Am I misunderstanding something?
You're correct, but it's not a bad thing. I would personally opt of the liberals arts degree and then get an MBA.

Old 01-31-2008, 01:33 PM

409 posts, read 2,633,758 times
I have a degree in Economics and Finance.... The degree title is
Bachelor's of Business Administration in Economics and Finance....
It was a 4 year degree with 10 300-400 level courses in economis and 5 in finance.
It was a great program and I learned a lot.

University of Texas at San Antonio.

Old 02-01-2008, 06:41 AM

81 posts, read 273,689 times
At my school, (Winthrop University in South Carolina) economics is in the College of Business Administration and is offered as a BA. Its full title is Bachelor of Arts in Economics, thus following a more liberal arts type of degree progress.

The rest of the business majors, like finance, are offered as a BS, so its a Bachelor of Science in Business Administration, with concentration in Finance. We have to follow a rigid set of core classes that econ majors don't have to do, the BS also requires that every class is a C or higher (any class less than C, must retake), you can't just average a 2.00 like the BA. Its kind of strange though, since Economics is in the business school, but since it is more liberal arts, it would be a double major.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities