Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2015, 10:37 PM

77 posts, read 87,073 times

Advertisements

Does anyone on here know have experience with computer degrees in canada or europe? How seriously would a graduate from an American university be taken in either region? Would a degree like that be enough to land a job or would additional coursework be required?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2015, 06:42 AM

394 posts, read 435,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k3xql510ue View Post
Does anyone on here know have experience with computer degrees in canada or europe? How seriously would a graduate from an American university be taken in either region? Would a degree like that be enough to land a job or would additional coursework be required?
You have to first understand that...

For ANY degree: state, city, REGION, etc will play a BIG role in landing a job

It will be much, much easier for someone who went to School A in City X to land a job in City X, than someone who went to School B in City Y to land a job in City X.

I believe if it is a good/reputable university, for foreign countries they WOULD consider it, but, in addition to my analogy above, Canada also has a good deal of FRENCH SPEAKING population. So it'd be best if you just went to a Canadian/Europe university if you planned to live/work there

Old 08-06-2015, 07:51 AM

22,590 posts, read 47,660,494 times
Many Canadians and Europeans come to the USA for their degrees.

They go home and find jobs, so American degrees must be widely accepted, no?

Old 08-06-2015, 08:05 AM

vfsf

Last edited by The_Man74; 08-06-2015 at 09:03 AM..

Old 08-06-2015, 08:45 AM

3,070 posts, read 5,232,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Man74 View Post
You have to first understand that...

For ANY degree: state, city, REGION, etc will play a BIG role in landing a job

It will be much, much easier for someone who went to School A in City X to land a job in City X, than someone who went to School B in City Y to land a job in City X.

I believe if it is a good/reputable university, for foreign countries they WOULD consider it, but, in addition to my analogy above, Canada also has a good deal of FRENCH SPEAKING population. So it'd be best if you just went to a Canadian/Europe university if you planned to live/work there
Quote:
there's a difference between a U.S. citizen GOING TO Canada and getting a job though

A U.S. citizen must FIRST apply for CITIZENSHIP in Canada to even be considered a job... so it's like a bunch of background checks, credit checks, work history, stuff like that...

A Canadian citizen ALREADY HAS Canadian citizenship and so they can go to a "good/accredited" U.S. university and just go back ("home") and be eligible for jobs
With respect, this isn't accurate.

In Canada, region/reputation holds much less weight than in the US. We have only a small number of universities/colleges, and universal accreditation standards. U of Florida or U of Saskatchewan, isn't a big deal. Sure, MIT or Harvard gathers looks (as always), but beyond that, it isn't as big of a deal.

Next, our French-speaking regions are highly concentrated in two of ten provinces, it isn't much to comment on.

Finally, citizenship is NOT required to work here. A sizeable portion of the population has permanent resident status, temporary foreign worker status, or even working students (< 20 hours per week). Some regions, like Northern Alberta, hire from abroad out of desperation due to worker shortages. When I lived in Montreal, there were a number of Americans working there. Computer science is mostly conducted in English in those French regions.

It isn't easy to work here, immigration is always a hassle, but I don't feel your post is accurate at all.

Old 08-06-2015, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliss2 View Post
With respect, this isn't accurate.

In Canada, region/reputation holds much less weight than in the US. We have only a small number of universities/colleges, and universal accreditation standards. U of Florida or U of Saskatchewan, isn't a big deal. Sure, MIT or Harvard gathers looks (as always), but beyond that, it isn't as big of a deal.

Next, our French-speaking regions are highly concentrated in two of ten provinces, it isn't much to comment on.

Finally, citizenship is NOT required to work here. A sizeable portion of the population has permanent resident status, temporary foreign worker status, or even working students (< 20 hours per week). Some regions, like Northern Alberta, hire from abroad out of desperation due to worker shortages. When I lived in Montreal, there were a number of Americans working there. Computer science is mostly conducted in English in those French regions.

It isn't easy to work here, immigration is always a hassle, but I don't feel your post is accurate at all.
I know that region/reputation doesn't hold as much "weight" as in the U.S.

And i'm aware that certain areas are more predominantly French speaking than English

I guess my point was that it isn't as easy as some think.

I know there's a fairly lengthy and detailed process to "get in" or to work in Canada... and it isn't as easy as some people may think of "oh i'm gonna go to University A and just move to Canada and work there" (some people i've met actually DO believe it's this easy lol)

that was my point

Old 08-11-2015, 11:07 AM

9,326 posts, read 22,018,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k3xql510ue View Post
F you are serious about Canada, immigration Canada has a program for international students that went to university in Canada that allows them to stay temporarily to work with the intention of permanent residence. I google Canada immigration website. Also some Canadian universities do have reasonable international tuition fees. For instance check out the International Tuition fee at Mount Allison University. I have a friend in the Hampshire for pays a little less in Canada with international question then in-state New Hampshire resident at a New Hampshire University.

Google Canada post graduation work permit.

I can't comment on Europe except i read Germany abolished international tuition so you pay little. In addition some universities have english programs.

Old 08-11-2015, 11:08 AM

9,326 posts, read 22,018,067 times
Quote:
I know that region/reputation doesn't hold as much "weight" as in the U.S.

And i'm aware that certain areas are more predominantly French speaking than English

I guess my point was that it isn't as easy as some think.

I know there's a fairly lengthy and detailed process to "get in" or to work in Canada... and it isn't as easy as some people may think of "oh i'm gonna go to University A and just move to Canada and work there" (some people i've met actually DO believe it's this easy lol)

that was my point
Have you personally gone rhrough the process of applting for a Canadian work visa or mgration?

Old 08-11-2015, 06:22 PM

1,855 posts, read 2,918,182 times
As a degree in the US weighs about .25 ounces, it would weigh 4.5 grams in Canada and Europe.

Old 10-01-2015, 11:21 AM

77 posts, read 87,073 times
Ok, so the take away I'm getting so far is that university name doesn't matter as much in Canada. What about in Europe? How seriously would an American degree be taken in the UK, France, Germany, or Ireland (just to list a few specific ones)?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities