Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 02:37 PM

74 posts, read 619,656 times

Advertisements

Is $50k in student loans for a student that will come out of school with a masters in engineering?

Should I spend an extra $35k (at 8% intrest rate) on a masters degree on top of the $15k I already have in underrgrad? Is it worth it??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2008, 02:50 PM

555 posts, read 2,212,146 times
Depends what the prospects are for your degree. It is very possible you can spend 50K on a degree, yet make 50K more a year because of the degree. Seems like engineering is one of the careers where a masters is better.

Old 02-05-2008, 01:37 AM

3,306 posts, read 4,155,506 times
Look at job listings for your field to try to estimate the pay difference between a BS and MS. If the extra pay is enough to pay for the extra 35k in 5 years or so its probably worth it.

Old 02-05-2008, 07:51 AM

3,763 posts, read 12,549,353 times
Your other alternative is to find out if you can get a job in Engineering with just a BS, and then have your employer pay for your graduate school. They may not pay 100%, but may pay 50% or more. Plus with your salary you'd be able to cover the other expenses in cash - thus not taking out any more loans. However, going to graduate school and working full time sucks - be prepared!

All in all engineering is a relatively high paying field, I would think that $50K in loans is justified, but only you know what you can handle.

Check out salary.com and some other career estimation places to get an idea of salaries in your fields.

Good luck!

Old 02-05-2008, 07:56 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,498,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Briolat21 View Post
Your other alternative is to find out if you can get a job in Engineering with just a BS, and then have your employer pay for your graduate school. They may not pay 100%, but may pay 50% or more. Plus with your salary you'd be able to cover the other expenses in cash - thus not taking out any more loans. However, going to graduate school and working full time sucks - be prepared!

All in all engineering is a relatively high paying field, I would think that $50K in loans is justified, but only you know what you can handle.

Check out salary.com and some other career estimation places to get an idea of salaries in your fields.

Good luck!
Very good advice! Anytime you can get even a part of the cost of your Master's degree underwritten by an employer - it is a good deal.

FWIW - DH spent $90,000 to get his doctorate and yes, even at that cost, it has been worth every penny.

Old 02-05-2008, 08:49 AM

1,774 posts, read 2,809,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxMover View Post
Is $50k in student loans for a student that will come out of school with a masters in engineering?

Should I spend an extra $35k (at 8% intrest rate) on a masters degree on top of the $15k I already have in underrgrad? Is it worth it??

I would try to avoid that....there is just too many other responsibilities that you will come across after graduation besides paying back a student loan. Unless you graduate from an ivy school, the job market is pretty much give or take....depends on who you will interview with.

Old 02-05-2008, 03:37 PM

847 posts, read 3,520,480 times
Student loans are good debt. Do what you want to do and what will make you happy and do not worry about the money. I have $40k+ in student loans and do not even make that a year right now, but it was all worth it.

Old 02-05-2008, 08:10 PM

3,306 posts, read 4,155,506 times
Quote:
Student loans are good debt
No debt is good debt.

Quote:
Do what you want to do and what will make you happy and do not worry about the money.
Are you serious? This is awful financial advice. People should only do what they can afford to do and that includes taking on student loan debt when absolutely necessary.

Old 02-06-2008, 06:33 AM

570 posts, read 1,820,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humanoid View Post
No debt is good debt.

Are you serious? This is awful financial advice. People should only do what they can afford to do and that includes taking on student loan debt when absolutely necessary.
Good point! I work in the student loan industry and see so many college grads go into economic hardship deferement and forbearance due to not being able to pay back their loans. You have to consider what your financial situation will be post-graduation.

OP, listen to Briorlat21's advice. You should find a job at an undergrad level and have your employer pay for grad school, you can do it! I know plenty of people who worked full-time and went to grad school at the same time. It was hard for them, but they benefited greatly in the end.

Old 02-06-2008, 08:37 AM

847 posts, read 3,520,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humanoid View Post
No debt is good debt.

I disagree a little, but that is my opinion. I am a guidance counselor and see too many people who think they can not go on to higher education because of money and that should never be the reason. There are plenty of loans out there as well as grants. Also, I agree with PP about getting a job where they will pay their way to college, that is an excellent idea but the problem may be getting the job in the first place.
For myself, and I know for many others, you have to have an advanced degree for the job. I could not be a guidance counselor without a masters degree so it was worth it to me. I pay $200 a month to my loan and will for years, but that is the way it is. Being happy in your job is much more important than shelling out $200 a month!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities