U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2016, 02:26 PM

27 posts, read 14,099 times

Advertisements

I'm trying to find out more about the Alphas. I am considering pledging grad, but don't know where to start. Any info would be helpful.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2016, 11:16 AM

10,591 posts, read 18,959,658 times
Have you been to their national site? Have you contacted any officers of the chapter you want to pledge?

Old 01-15-2016, 11:52 AM

20,419 posts, read 40,820,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quise View Post
I'm trying to find out more about the Alphas. I am considering pledging grad, but don't know where to start. Any info would be helpful.
You start by going to their house and meeting the brothers.

Old 02-01-2016, 01:28 AM

995 posts, read 932,300 times
Didn't they have fall rush? Or do fraternities have a process where you can be admitted as a pledge at other times of the year?

Old 02-02-2016, 08:29 PM

21,755 posts, read 10,044,352 times
You will not find out much information on a site like this. Trust me. Find a grad chapter, look into attending some of their events, and build relationships with the brothers.

Old 02-08-2016, 01:12 AM

15,091 posts, read 12,020,924 times
Greek system is largely an exercise in conformity for the sake of social acceptance and youthful hedonism. Not much more to it than that. They make it sounds like it's some serious endeavor...sure, if you call getting drunk and trying to catch some ass on the weekend a serious endeavor. I've been there and watched it up close, and in spite of what they say, that's about all that goes on with it.

Old 02-28-2016, 07:32 AM

910 posts, read 1,487,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
Greek system is largely an exercise in conformity for the sake of social acceptance and youthful hedonism. Not much more to it than that. They make it sounds like it's some serious endeavor...sure, if you call getting drunk and trying to catch some ass on the weekend a serious endeavor. I've been there and watched it up close, and in spite of what they say, that's about all that goes on with it.
You are so incredibly wrong if you think that's all that happens....

A lot of orgs do A LOT of behind the scenes stuff that is really awesome. I don't think they party any more than the average college student only difference is that because they're well known you notice. I know a few alphas who are the most humble men I've met and some even go onto ivy league. One is currently doing his grad degree at Yale.

Anyway, OP start on their national website and see how the grad chapter works. Is it a regional? School specific? Etc. Then follow their pages, IG, Facebook etc and keep up with when they have their events. Make an effort to meet them and go to events. That's key

Old 02-28-2016, 09:10 PM

6,125 posts, read 5,927,704 times
Quote:
Alpha Phi Alpha is a predominately black fraternity. Those are different. Many members are active for their entire lives and high achievement past college is expected. It's a very powerful network well into adulthood. The Divine 9 is no joke in that regard. All the black frats party in college but are on the serious grind when college is over.

Old 03-13-2016, 05:19 PM

995 posts, read 932,300 times
Quote:
Not to make excuses, but for a certain subset of the student population getting drunk and trying to hook up is known as an typical weekend, whether they're in the Greek system or not.

Old 03-23-2016, 07:04 AM

4,607 posts, read 4,985,979 times
FWIW- black fraternities sororities are a whole different breed from white ones. Even my older sister who still attends Theta conventions and is active in an alumni chapter at 40 pales in comparison to how most of the black fraternities/sororities treat the organizations. They are very service oriented when you look at the adult members and are very serious about maintaining standards of professionalism & behavior. Look for a lot of networking, a lot of outreach and an actual time commitment beyond your dues check. You'll also discover they are fiercely loyal.

FWIW- I've always found Alphas a little more laid back than Q-dogs but more active than the other black fraternities. Those were the largest two at my school and in my area now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities