Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2016, 09:51 PM

200 posts, read 285,281 times

Advertisements

Hey folks I'm curious to know what has more marketability for looking for a job with the Federal government and the private sector.

A normal MS in Computer Science or a more specialized grad degree such as the one that I'm currently looking into at John Jay in their grad school.

Digital Forensics & Cyber Security Graduate Degree Certification - John Jay College

Thanks for any advice folks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2016, 10:03 PM

6,658 posts, read 4,745,070 times
It depends on what your interests are

Old 05-24-2016, 12:49 AM

200 posts, read 285,281 times
Well I'm looking to see what I could do in the military with this.

Old 05-28-2016, 04:49 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,473,091 times
The MS in Computer Science is more marketable and flexible. I would even choose a program in information technology or information systems before I would choose cybersecurity or digital forensics. If you want to specialize in a certain area, you should look for a CS/IS/IT program with a cybersecurity or digital forensics concentration or choose elective courses in those areas. Cybersecurity and digital forensics restrict you to one area of the IT field. No employer is going to choose someone over you just because they have a specialized degree, and you have a computer science degree. Sometimes, the CS degree will be seen as more desirable due to the curriculum being more in depth. Some cybersecurity programs are more policy-oriented rather than technically-oriented. But, the employer will really be looking for relevant experience and certifications such as the CISSP. The degree just checks the education box.

Old 05-29-2016, 12:59 AM

83 posts, read 75,504 times
Hey! I know John Jay! I'd say a M.S. in computer science. It's more marketable. People are going to assume a M.S. in digital forensics is fluff. It might not be fluff but it sounds like it.

Old 05-30-2016, 05:38 PM

3,271 posts, read 2,188,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProffessorZoom View Post
If your objective is to commission in the military, you should talk to an officer recruiter. They should be able to provide you with some statistics about what they are looking for.

It's a smart move to join the military as an officer if you can. You will have access to a tremendous amount of professional development. If you can make it 20 years, you will have an outstanding retirement as well.

Old 05-31-2016, 07:26 PM

391 posts, read 290,247 times
Quote:
Lots... friend of mine started in military crypto in the 80s and then they sent her off to "hacker school" in the 90s. We all laughed... sounded like Bullsht at the time. I was in computers but did not think much of hacking.

She is amazing now. The things she can do with an IP. I'm in Information Systems Security but I can't touch her knowldge... she has been a hacker now for almost 20 years! I started maybe 5 years ago.

Either of those fields will be great for you. I will say that cyber security is going to get saturated here soon but there is a huge need now. I've seen a cyber security team double in people practically overnight. People are worried about it and rightfully so. Digital security is one of those needs that could rapidly grow. Hard to predict the future but I'd feel comfortable doing either one of those majors.

Actually, if it were me, I'd do something in robotics (before everyone and their brother jumps in). But that is me... I started computers back when no one else did... worked out well.

Old 06-02-2016, 10:27 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,513,664 times
Quote:
Hey folks I'm curious to know what has more marketability for looking for a job with the Federal government and the private sector.

A normal MS in Computer Science or a more specialized grad degree such as the one that I'm currently looking into at John Jay in their grad school.

Digital Forensics & Cyber Security Graduate Degree Certification - John Jay College

Thanks for any advice folks
My son has a degree in cybersecurity with a minor in digital forensics. He works for a Forensics firm but was offered a job with a much more well known Federal agency. There is no lack of job opportunity now.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 06-11-2016, 02:09 PM

61 posts, read 116,450 times
Cyber security. I went to a panel in DC. They can't get people to stick with fed jobs because private pays better. Huge opportunities.

Old 06-11-2016, 07:30 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,473,091 times
You don't need a cyber security degree to work in cyber security. It would help to look up cyber security, information assurance, and information security job openings and see which majors they ask for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities