Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2008, 03:58 PM

94 posts, read 419,611 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc76 View Post
If you are trying to go to law or medical school after undergrad, it definitely matters. It is extremely comptetive to get into the best programs and you better believe that those coming from the top undergraduate programs get preference. Also, regardless of the field of study, the contacts that you make, both in terms of professors and classmates is EXTREMELY important. The fact is, the professors are more renowned, more published and better connected at the top universities. This can help you get jobs and business contacts. I got my first job out of college because my college advisor called a few companies that he did work with and sent my resume to them. I continue to keep in touch with him on both personal and business matters.
I agree. My husband and I graduated from Ivy league schools. Where we went to college definitely opened doors for us in terms of job interviews, graduate schools, networking, etc. While a degree from particular colleges may be helpful, success comes from more than simply looking good on paper. Hard work, creativity, personality, etc. go a long way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2008, 05:22 PM

1,126 posts, read 2,692,902 times
Quote:
Also, regardless of the field of study, the contacts that you make, both in terms of professors and classmates is EXTREMELY important. The fact is, the professors are more renowned, more published and better connected at the top universities. This can help you get jobs and business contacts. I got my first job out of college because my college advisor called a few companies that he did work with and sent my resume to them. I continue to keep in touch with him on both personal and business matters.
that's very true. actually, private Universities in the US don't offer a better education program that those in public ones. My brother attends public university in Spain and it's spending a semester at University of Miami, which is very expensive in terms of tuition. He told me that he finds it easier than what he does back home. once you graduate, there's a sort of student network that allows you to find well paid jobs in a short period of time.

Old 03-11-2008, 10:10 AM

65 posts, read 168,292 times
Quote:
If you are trying to go to law or medical school after undergrad, it definitely matters.
I cannot speak for law school, but unfortunately, this is a false pretense regarding medical school. An elite school will only get you so far in the medical school admissions process. If you have a 2.9 GPA and a 24 MCAT from Harvard, guess what? YOU ARE more than likely NOT GETTING INTO MEDICAL SCHOOL!

Your academic performance as an undergraduate is by far (and rightfully so) more significant than your undergraduate institution. The name is only going to help you if you are "neck n neck" with another applicant with the same stats, extracurriculars, letters of recs, etc.

Old 03-11-2008, 10:31 AM

16,259 posts, read 24,763,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by b75 View Post
It can. Obviously if someone goes to an Ivy League School & drops out or becomes a drug addict their education isn't going to do much. But overall a graduate with say a Harvard degree compared to someone starting out with a state school degree is probably going to have a leg up when it comes to entry level job opportunities.
For the Ivy League, yes it does give you a leg up but remember that even idiots can get an Ivy League degree (look at our President!) if their daddies hand over a big enough check to buy them admission.
For other universities, it largely depends in geography. A degree from a school like Northwestern University is a great thing if you are looking for a job in the upper midwest. It is highly recognized there. But if you are down here in Georgia, different story. A UGA grad will probably get hired before you will.

Old 03-11-2008, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Going to a top university is often cheaper than going to a lesser school, actually. Specifically with Harvard, unless you are from a wealthy family (180K+ a year income), it's dirt cheap. Students with a family income of 60K or below go for free.

Let's face it, the better schools tend to have the bigger endowments. That means bigger scholarships. I go to my top private school for cheaper than it would have cost me to go to UGA with the Hope scholarship. I came close to similar costs with Tulane and NYU. And I've never had anyone but a tenured professor teach a course... That counted for the courses I have taken at Harvard as well!
If you went ot UGA with a HOPE scholarship, it would be FREE so how does it cost you less to go elsewhere- unless they are throwing room and board in too?

Old 03-11-2008, 10:39 AM

19,922 posts, read 11,044,320 times
As a retired healthcare administrator, I had opportunity to hire many managers in my years. I looked for a master's degree in healthcare or business. The school did not matter to me, nor did what they did for their bachelor's degree. In fact, if they started in a community or junior college, then got their bachelors, before their masters, that was fine as well. There are some great named schools out there - but as someone who hired those with master's degrees, the school did not matter. There was also no difference in performance among the various schools represented by the managers.

Old 03-11-2008, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caliprincess View Post
I cannot speak for law school, but unfortunately, this is a false pretense regarding medical school. An elite school will only get you so far in the medical school admissions process. If you have a 2.9 GPA and a 24 MCAT from Harvard, guess what? YOU ARE more than likely NOT GETTING INTO MEDICAL SCHOOL!

Your academic performance as an undergraduate is by far (and rightfully so) more significant than your undergraduate institution. The name is only going to help you if you are "neck n neck" with another applicant with the same stats, extracurriculars, letters of recs, etc.
If you are trying to go to a Top 5 law school it might weigh in a little. Obviously the Admissions office at Harvard Law would probably give some preference to a graduate from Harvard or another Ivy League school. But keep in mind that the purpose of attending law school is to pass the state and national Bar. The thing you want to look at the most in a law school is not the name on the door but the rate of passage of the Bar. After all, it will do you NO good to spend 3 years there if you are unable to pass the Bar.

Old 03-11-2008, 07:29 PM

1,654 posts, read 7,347,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
For the Ivy League, yes it does give you a leg up but remember that even idiots can get an Ivy League degree (look at our President!) if their daddies hand over a big enough check to buy them admission.
For other universities, it largely depends in geography. A degree from a school like Northwestern University is a great thing if you are looking for a job in the upper midwest. It is highly recognized there. But if you are down here in Georgia, different story. A UGA grad will probably get hired before you will.
I highly doubt that one.

Old 03-12-2008, 10:21 AM

94 posts, read 419,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
But keep in mind that the purpose of attending law school is to pass the state and national Bar. The thing you want to look at the most in a law school is not the name on the door but the rate of passage of the Bar. After all, it will do you NO good to spend 3 years there if you are unable to pass the Bar.
I disagree. There is no national bar (unless perhaps you're talking about the multi-state portion of the bar exam, which all candidates take). The passage rate is merely a function of the prep course and how hard students study for the exam. If you take a good course, spend time answering practice questions and study hard for a few months, you'll likely pass.

In my opinion, some of the most important things to look at in a law school are the career services center and where the graduates end up: location, type of firm (private/government, large/small, etc.), % employed prior to graduation, etc. If you know you want to practice in a particular state, it's usually helpful to attend a law school in that state. The law school will likely have more contacts in the area and have more firms from the area hold interviews on campus.

Old 03-13-2008, 01:47 PM

2,126 posts, read 6,803,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caliprincess View Post

Sorry but I think you are stating the obvious. The fact is there are probably thousands of applicants that apply to the top medical schools every year, from all over the world. Unless you graduated #1 in your undergrad class from Harvard or Oxford, you are pretty much in a "neck n neck" competition. Where you went to school is 1 factor that could get you into medical school over another applicant, just like GPA, MCAT and letters of recommendation. Is it as important? Probably not. Although letters of recommendation from a distinguished professor at Harvard carry a lot more clout than from Dr. Smith at Podunk U. Which by the way, I am a proud graduate of . My point is that it is just one factor, but it still "matters".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities