Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2016, 07:45 PM

361 posts, read 436,324 times

Advertisements

I am a freshman at an EXTREMELY liberal college, and unfortunately I am a Republican and always have been. I love everything about the college (mostly nice people, nice faculty, comfortable campus, etc) except for the political and social culture. There are mostly pretty moderate liberals on campus that still embrace me despite my political views, but then there is the minority, but still prevalent, group of white-hating, Christian-hating progressives that make it hard to function in such an environment. Anytime a Republican speaks up, they tear him or her down and are incapable of having an intelligent conversation. When I confessed to my roommate that I was a Republican, he asked how a nice person like me could possibly be a Republican and back a person like Trump and was visibly pissed off, saying how much Islam is benefitting the United States. And I overheard him say to his friends the other day that all Republicans are racist jerks. And I was watching the election with a group of intolerants and one other Republican and thought that fists were going to fly. I was getting so worked up I had to take a breath. My parents have noticed how crazy left wing this college is, and I'm starting to think I picked wrongly even though I like most things about the school. I'm wondering if I should transfer to a Catholic school, where my values are more likely to be shared. Yes, I'm Catholic. Because the main group of people I hang out with here are white guilty and insanely liberal, and one person stopped speaking to me as a result of her intolerance. And the day after the election, some girls and minority groups refused to go outside without carrying pepper spray and are contemplating leaving the country. And my friend group insults Republicans incessantly, even when I'm around. Any opinions? And NO POLITICAL DEBATES PLEASE.

Old 11-22-2016, 07:56 PM

102,373 posts, read 108,679,282 times
This wouldn't be believable unless you're at one of the few school known as alternative schools (like Reed, in Portland) or politically radical, like Oberlin. In cases like that, you would have known in advance what you were getting into. My observation in college, and that of my relatives and friends a few years older than you is that politics doesn't come up. People are mainly focused on their classes, and on having fun in their free time. I can see politics coming up during this last election, as it was unusually polarized. Otherwise, I can't see it.

If the school has programs that you're interested in, stick with it, unless you can find a Catholic school that has a program you could see yourself majoring in. Some do. Seattle University is very interesting, btw.

Also bear in mind that Catholic schools give out a lot of scholarships to the needy, and do a certain amount of international recruitment, so you'll likely find yourself in classes and dorms with Native Americans, African Americans, refugees of various sorts, along with wealthy students like sheikh's kids (you'd be surprised), and a real mix. Most students at those schools find the multicultural aspect stimulating and enriching. If you're not open to that, you may not be open to life in general. Perhaps you should consider a Baptist college, or something similarly conservative that would shelter you from reality.

Old 11-22-2016, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
This wouldn't be believable unless you're at one of the few school known as alternative schools (like Reed, in Portland) or politically radical, like Oberlin. In cases like that, you would have known in advance what you were getting into. My observation in college, and that of my relatives and friends a few years older than you is that politics doesn't come up. People are mainly focused on their classes, and on having fun in their free time. I can see politics coming up during this last election, as it was unusually polarized. Otherwise, I can't see it.

If the school has programs that you're interested in, stick with it, unless you can find a Catholic school that has a program you could see yourself majoring in. Some do. Seattle University in Seattle is very interesting, btw.

Also bear in mind that Catholic schools give out a lot of scholarships to the needy, and do a certain mount of international recruitment, so you'll likely find yourself in classes and dorms with Native Americans, African Americans, refugees of various sorts, along with wealthy students like sheikh's kids (you'd be surprised), and a real mix. Most students at those schools find the multicultural aspect stimulating and enriching. If you're not open to that, you may not be open to life in general. Perhaps you should consider a Baptist college, or something similarly conservative.
I am at a tiny liberal arts college in New Jersey if that helps. And a business major too.

Old 11-22-2016, 08:06 PM

102,373 posts, read 108,679,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxblue20 View Post
I am at Drew University in New Jersey if that helps.
I never heard of it, but if you're from the NJ/NYC area, you probably had heard of whatever reputation it had. But maybe not. Anyway, at this point, the question is: can you put up with some people and their reactions to the election (it was a pretty weird one, if you ask me, and my few Repub relatives agree; they're not thrilled with the results, either), or if it's somehow too disruptive for you. Can't you ignore people who say they have to carry pepper spray, or that they want to leave the country? Focus on your relationship with your teachers, and what you're learning in class. Look around for activities to get involved in off-campus, where there should be more of a political cross-section of people.

A business major? You should be able to find some like-minded people in that program.

Old 11-22-2016, 08:34 PM

Quote:
I never heard of it, but if you're from the NJ/NYC area, you probably had heard of whatever reputation it had. But maybe not. Anyway, at this point, the question is: can you put up with some people and their reactions to the election (it was a pretty weird one, if you ask me, and my few Repub relatives agree; they're not thrilled with the results, either), or if it's somehow too disruptive for you. Can't you ignore people who say they have to carry pepper spray, or that they want to leave the country? Focus on your relationship with your teachers, and what you're learning in class. Look around for activities to get involved in off-campus, where there should be more of a political cross-section of people.

A business major? You should be able to find some like-minded people in that program.
Yes, they are the most moderate, if not conservative, people here. But those majoring in the arts are extremely liberal and devastated by this election.

Old 11-22-2016, 09:20 PM

610 posts, read 537,176 times
Quote:

If the school has programs that you're interested in, stick with it, unless you can find a Catholic school that has a program you could see yourself majoring in. Some do. Seattle University is very interesting, btw.

Also bear in mind that Catholic schools give out a lot of scholarships to the needy, and do a certain amount of international recruitment, so you'll likely find yourself in classes and dorms with Native Americans, African Americans, refugees of various sorts, along with wealthy students like sheikh's kids (you'd be surprised), and a real mix. Most students at those schools find the multicultural aspect stimulating and enriching. If you're not open to that, you may not be open to life in general. Perhaps you should consider a Baptist college, or something similarly conservative that would shelter you from reality.
Where do you get that from? The OP said nothing about being upset about any "multicultural" environment or a need to be "sheltered" from reality. Are you trying to blame him for his feelings?

OP--you need to "man up" and not let the idiots get you down. It doesn't sound like you're being personally harassed but if you are, report it, you have a right to be left alone to get your education. If you get into an argument, put across your point of view forcefully--and remind them who won the election (you're a Republican, you get to gloat a bit) but don't expect to change any minds, they're already closed. And don't call them "progressives"---they're just the opposite.

I do agree with ruth4truth in that you need to hang out with a different bunch of people--and it's a sad commentary that modern politics is dividing us socially as well as politically. Good luck.

Old 11-22-2016, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert137 View Post
Where do you get that from? The OP said nothing about being upset about any "multicultural" environment or a need to be "sheltered" from reality. Are you trying to blame him for his feelings?

OP--you need to "man up" and not let the idiots get you down. It doesn't sound like you're being personally harassed but if you are, report it, you have a right to be left alone to get your education. If you get into an argument, put across your point of view forcefully--and remind them who won the election (you're a Republican, you get to gloat a bit) but don't expect to change any minds, they're already closed. And don't call them "progressives"---they're just the opposite.

I do agree with ruth4truth in that you need to hang out with a different bunch of people--and it's a sad commentary that modern politics is dividing us socially as well as politically. Good luck.
Actually yeah, why do I call them progressives? Lol, it's what they call themselves, but they are far from it. I witnessed a former friend (we just both got busy) call all Republicans "idiots" before she knew that I was Republican. If that girl leaned any farther to the left, she'd be on the floor.

Old 11-22-2016, 09:47 PM

12,951 posts, read 9,216,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert137 View Post

Agreed. You beat me to it.

Old 11-22-2016, 09:53 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,813,578 times
I went to a very liberal college, and we still had a Campus Republicans group. It was very small, but it existed.

Old 11-22-2016, 09:53 PM

5,442 posts, read 4,702,714 times
Stay, don't move to a religious school just because you are a political minority.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities