Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2016, 11:34 AM

3,901 posts, read 4,552,508 times

Advertisements

Are these guys on your campus at all? Maybe you could contact them for advice, start a chapter or something?

Young Americas Foundation -*The Conservative Movement Starts Here

Suggestion: Go for "clarity" instead of agreement, when you discuss politics or social issues with someone from "the opposite side". Create a friendly dialogue and if they can't do that, they're not worth your time.
I'm a bit of a mixed bag politically myself, and I enjoy hearing different points of view as long as it's civil. I've heard nastiness from both ends, but those people are usually extreme on their views and/or overly dramatic about anything anyway.

Most importantly concentrate on your education where ever you are!

Good luck!

Last edited by Podo944; 11-23-2016 at 12:50 PM..

Old 11-23-2016, 11:36 AM

2,405 posts, read 1,449,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxblue20 View Post
I am a freshman at an EXTREMELY liberal college, and unfortunately I am a Republican and always have been. I love everything about the college (mostly nice people, nice faculty, comfortable campus, etc) except for the political and social culture. There are mostly pretty moderate liberals on campus that still embrace me despite my political views, but then there is the minority, but still prevalent, group of white-hating, Christian-hating progressives that make it hard to function in such an environment. Anytime a Republican speaks up, they tear him or her down and are incapable of having an intelligent conversation. When I confessed to my roommate that I was a Republican, he asked how a nice person like me could possibly be a Republican and back a person like Trump and was visibly pissed off, saying how much Islam is benefitting the United States. And I overheard him say to his friends the other day that all Republicans are racist jerks. And I was watching the election with a group of intolerants and one other Republican and thought that fists were going to fly. I was getting so worked up I had to take a breath. My parents have noticed how crazy left wing this college is, and I'm starting to think I picked wrongly even though I like most things about the school. I'm wondering if I should transfer to a Catholic school, where my values are more likely to be shared. Yes, I'm Catholic. Because the main group of people I hang out with here are white guilty and insanely liberal, and one person stopped speaking to me as a result of her intolerance. And the day after the election, some girls and minority groups refused to go outside without carrying pepper spray and are contemplating leaving the country. And my friend group insults Republicans incessantly, even when I'm around. Any opinions? And NO POLITICAL DEBATES PLEASE.
Cool story.

Old 11-23-2016, 01:28 PM

5,052 posts, read 6,355,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxblue20 View Post
I am a freshman at an EXTREMELY liberal college, and unfortunately I am a Republican and always have been. I love everything about the college (mostly nice people, nice faculty, comfortable campus, etc) except for the political and social culture. There are mostly pretty moderate liberals on campus that still embrace me despite my political views, but then there is the minority, but still prevalent, group of white-hating, Christian-hating progressives that make it hard to function in such an environment. Anytime a Republican speaks up, they tear him or her down and are incapable of having an intelligent conversation. When I confessed to my roommate that I was a Republican, he asked how a nice person like me could possibly be a Republican and back a person like Trump and was visibly pissed off, saying how much Islam is benefitting the United States. And I overheard him say to his friends the other day that all Republicans are racist jerks. And I was watching the election with a group of intolerants and one other Republican and thought that fists were going to fly. I was getting so worked up I had to take a breath. My parents have noticed how crazy left wing this college is, and I'm starting to think I picked wrongly even though I like most things about the school. I'm wondering if I should transfer to a Catholic school, where my values are more likely to be shared. Yes, I'm Catholic. Because the main group of people I hang out with here are white guilty and insanely liberal, and one person stopped speaking to me as a result of her intolerance. And the day after the election, some girls and minority groups refused to go outside without carrying pepper spray and are contemplating leaving the country. And my friend group insults Republicans incessantly, even when I'm around. Any opinions? And NO POLITICAL DEBATES PLEASE.
Just for kicks, I thought I'd do a reversal-Democrat for Republican, etc., etc.. Read it and realize how unlikely your post sounds.

__________________________________________________ _____________________________________

I am a freshman at an EXTREMELY conservative college, and unfortunately I am Democrat and always have been. I love everything about the college (mostly nice people, nice faculty, comfortable campus, etc) except for the political and social culture. There are mostly pretty moderate conservatives on campus that still embrace me despite my political views, but then there is the minority, but still prevalent, group of minority-hating, non-Christian-hating conservatives that make it hard to function in such an environment. Anytime a Democrat speaks up, they tear him or her down and are incapable of having an intelligent conversation. When I confessed to my roommate that I was a Democrat, he asked how a nice person like me could possibly be a Democrat and back a person like Hillary and was visibly pissed off, saying how much the evangelical and alt-right movements are benefiting the United States. And I overheard him say to his friends the other day that all Democrats are jerks, intolerant of anybody who doesn’t believe as they do. And I was watching the election with a group of intolerants and one other Democrat and thought that fists were going to fly. I was getting so worked up I had to take a breath. My parents have noticed how crazy right wing this college is, and I'm starting to think I picked wrongly even though I like most things about the school. I'm wondering if I should transfer to an overtly liberal school, where my values are more likely to be shared. Yes, I'm a progressive. Because the main group of people I hang out with here are insanely conservative and seem to feel ashamed for not caring about the environment, and one person stopped speaking to me as a result of her intolerance. And the day after the election, some girls and white groups refused to go outside without carrying pepper spray in fear of riots. And my friend group insults Democrats incessantly, even when I'm around. Any opinions? And NO POLITICAL DEBATES PLEASE

Old 11-23-2016, 01:33 PM

718 posts, read 1,150,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
OK, now you're really showing yourself to be posting here under phony pretenses. You're so desperate at your college that you're considering leaving, you say you have no friends who share your views, you don't fit in, yet you've NEVER checked out the campus Republican org? They would have been very active during the campaign.

I'm sorry, you are not believable. It's so obvious what this thread is.
Actually, very believable. My son is in the similar situation - the students he thought were his friends became unhinged the day after the election.

I called my son the day after the election and asked him if he voted and who. He had to whisper "Dad, I can't talk right now. It's like ... you know ... everyone's gone nuts. Call you next time."

He decided to avoid them until things died down. He chose his friends not for their politics, but for their common interests (i.e. music, sports, gaming, movies, etc ...). Before the election, he didn't even know who was liberal, conservative, democrat, liberal. He didn't care.

I don't remember anything like this happening when Obama won the election.

Sad state of the nation, really. If the Chinese or Russians are watching, they're probably thinking: "Can you believe this !@#$%^& !! ... We should invade them now!"

Old 11-23-2016, 01:34 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,554,386 times
Closed for mod review.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities