Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2017, 10:24 PM

4 posts, read 1,959 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I am going into my 3rd year of college, MIS major.
If I complete my requirements and MIS concentration courses, I will still have some classes left to fill to get 128 credits.
Only 3-4 classes, so I might as well get another concentration, right?
I've been thinking of doing MIS with Finance or Accounting, but I also looked at having a math minor than F/A.

Either:
MIS & Finance (4 semesters left)
MIS & Accounting (4 semesters left)
MIS & math minor (4 semesters left)
Finance & math minor (4 semesters left)
Business & Math combined (4.5 semesters left)

I enjoy all of them, so I'm deciding what to do. The thing about the combined is that I think it only requires Finance as a main concentration, so it's basically Finance & Math combined.
I'm also considering graduate school, if that makes any difference.

What confuses me is when someone said:
"MIS and Math/Finance are completely unrelated and will not make you any more attractive in the job market. Math and finance are also largely unrelated. The mathematics contained in finance are (for the most part) really basic. Business and Math is a good combination"

There's also the option of going for nothing but MIS, although two concentrations are better than one, right?
I hear minor isn't very important as it doesn't show on the degree and you might as well major in the subject.
If so, I'll pick something more 'worthwhile'. Still a few options to pick from.
CS and engineering are long, complicated stories, so these are these options I pretty much have left.
Careers that are (computer) technical and/or actuarial, and similar, are ones that I might want as those are what I'm thinking.
They might be far-fetched or wishful-thinking, but I need some sort of goal to reach for.
People have said to go for experience, but I need a strong academic background to get good exp.
Also, I can't stop to think what to do because this is my small plan and I need to keep going.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2017, 11:28 PM

4,979 posts, read 2,719,229 times
Default Don't Worry About It

My advice is not to worry excessively about this. Your major is MIS, and a minor is really not important. The main thing to do is to keep your GPA up as high as you can, and to try to get internships in your field of study. These two things are far more important than a minor. Employers don't look at minors that much. If you really want to minor in something then go ahead. But know that it won't make much difference to employers.

Old 09-03-2017, 06:26 AM

12,109 posts, read 23,304,345 times
MIS is not my field, but I was thinking the same as above. Do concentrations really matter?

Old 09-04-2017, 03:16 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,754 posts, read 58,128,451 times
If you are good in math (likely)

Finance can pay great dividends, since in USA we are all expected to by our own financial analysts / planner for retirement! (lifelong application and benefit of edu)

If you will EVER want a job in finance..., then you will be well served to get a separate accounting degree and the certs to accompany.

Minors are minor... use it to YOUR personal advantage.

Finance may open some doors in parallel MIS careers. (Business management Administration / finance centric management / cost analysis)

Math... potentially for teaching / scientific gigs.

Old 09-04-2017, 09:36 PM

Default response

Quote:
Originally Posted by BusinessManIT View Post
My advice is not to worry excessively about this. Your major is MIS, and a minor is really not important. The main thing to do is to keep your GPA up as high as you can, and to try to get internships in your field of study. These two things are far more important than a minor. Employers don't look at minors that much. If you really want to minor in something then go ahead. But know that it won't make much difference to employers.
Thanks. With your advice, I've decided to focus on my concentrations instead. I was thinking minors would help, but if they don't, I won't bother with them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
If you are good in math (likely)

Finance can pay great dividends, since in USA we are all expected to by our own financial analysts / planner for retirement! (lifelong application and benefit of edu)

If you will EVER want a job in finance..., then you will be well served to get a separate accounting degree and the certs to accompany.

Minors are minor... use it to YOUR personal advantage.

Finance may open some doors in parallel MIS careers. (Business management Administration / finance centric management / cost analysis)

Math... potentially for teaching / scientific gigs.

Math is interesting, but I'm only mediocre at it. I was thinking I could do something good with math. I'm sticking with MIS. I'll consider Finance or Accounting as my potential second concentration. Thanks.

Old 09-06-2017, 08:08 AM

7,005 posts, read 12,484,731 times
MIS and accounting are complementary because of accounting information systems.

Old 09-06-2017, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L210 View Post
MIS and accounting are complementary because of accounting information systems.
Luckily, there is an accounting class named Accounting Information Systems that counts as an MIS class.

Management Information Systems < Northeastern University

Old 09-13-2017, 07:25 PM

61 posts, read 116,546 times
In my research mis and accounting together is in high demand.

Old 09-20-2017, 11:24 AM

1,225 posts, read 1,238,593 times
Keep in mind:

--If you have to fill out an online application, no one asks about concentrations or minors. Much less multiple ones.

--If you are applying with your own resume format, a degree plus multiple related concentrations just says "I can't decide what to do with my life so I'm just going to do a little bit of everything". That doesn't make you more qualified for a job, it makes you less qualified.

--For your first job, maybe a concentration will help you catch a hiring manager's eye, if it's something interesting like a foreign language or art or cake decorating or something unusual. Otherwise, you just blend in with the crowd.

--After your first or second job, you won't even have room on your resume to mention your concentrations, and no one would care, even if it was a bull-riding/cake decorating combined concentration.

You are overthinking this. Definitely do not stay in school longer just to get a concentration.

Old 09-20-2017, 07:46 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,484,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarianRavenwood View Post
Keep in mind:

--If you have to fill out an online application, no one asks about concentrations or minors. Much less multiple ones.

--If you are applying with your own resume format, a degree plus multiple related concentrations just says "I can't decide what to do with my life so I'm just going to do a little bit of everything". That doesn't make you more qualified for a job, it makes you less qualified.

--For your first job, maybe a concentration will help you catch a hiring manager's eye, if it's something interesting like a foreign language or art or cake decorating or something unusual. Otherwise, you just blend in with the crowd.

--After your first or second job, you won't even have room on your resume to mention your concentrations, and no one would care, even if it was a bull-riding/cake decorating combined concentration.

You are overthinking this. Definitely do not stay in school longer just to get a concentration.
I've filled out many applications that asked for or had a space for minors, but a cover letter is another place where you could mention a minor or concentration. Concentrations don't take up much room on a resume. If you're experienced, two-page resumes are the norm these days.

Having a concentration in a business program doesn't say that you don't know what to do. Many, if not most, business programs have concentrations. Concentrations are different from minors. Concentrations are built in and are typically in a related subject. For example, human resources is not an extremely common undergraduate major. It's often a concentration in a business administration program.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities