Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 10:50 AM

392 posts, read 1,858,375 times

Advertisements

I decided to take a couple of classes at the junior college near me this semester. I earned my degree a long time ago, just felt like learning some more.
In my class yesterday only 10 of the 20 registered students showed up. OK, fine with me, come to class or don't. I am there to learn so a smaller student teacher ratio is fine in my book.
My problem is the instructor's take on this. First we sit around for 15 minutes to see who is going to show up. Most people that are going to show up come in by the assigned class time, but there are always the stragglers. I jokingly said I was going to start coming in late since class doesn't start on time. The instructor asked me not to since "we have enough of those." I am taking time off my job for this. I am really not interested in wasting time staring at the wall waiting for people that drag themselves in "whenever."
Obviously with the above attendance rate there are those who are also racking up the absences in class. The instructor indicated that he was going to start calling people and threatening to drop their grades if they don't start showing up. WHAT?? You call people and tell them to come to class in college?
Am I just completely out of touch here? Is my attitude ridiculously harsh? Is this how college goes these days? Do students expect this sort of treatment?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2008, 10:54 AM

204 posts, read 1,484,716 times
I had a class of thirty, only 14 showed up. We dont wait around for people. The teachers dont call people either. At most, they send a warning email but usually three absences and the instructor drops you from the class altogether.

Old 03-26-2008, 11:35 AM

2,467 posts, read 12,243,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stock66 View Post
I decided to take a couple of classes at the junior college near me this semester. I earned my degree a long time ago, just felt like learning some more.
In my class yesterday only 10 of the 20 registered students showed up. OK, fine with me, come to class or don't. I am there to learn so a smaller student teacher ratio is fine in my book.
My problem is the instructor's take on this. First we sit around for 15 minutes to see who is going to show up. Most people that are going to show up come in by the assigned class time, but there are always the stragglers. I jokingly said I was going to start coming in late since class doesn't start on time. The instructor asked me not to since "we have enough of those." I am taking time off my job for this. I am really not interested in wasting time staring at the wall waiting for people that drag themselves in "whenever."
Obviously with the above attendance rate there are those who are also racking up the absences in class. The instructor indicated that he was going to start calling people and threatening to drop their grades if they don't start showing up. WHAT?? You call people and tell them to come to class in college?
Am I just completely out of touch here? Is my attitude ridiculously harsh? Is this how college goes these days? Do students expect this sort of treatment?

As someone who teaches in college, I never do any of these things. I start class on time and I make it very clear that if you are going to walk in late (unless it's a one time unexpected thing) to not come. I do give a participation grade so that people who are in class are rewarded and I completely base my tests on lectures so you will really, really not do well if you don't come. This way, the college students make the choice: come to class and you'll be rewarded and if you don't come to class, you won't do well (I will not come and harass you though! This is part of your job in being an adult).

The problem is that many college students now do have a sense of entitlement.... I'll come in when I want, I may not ever attend, if I miss you should send me the lectures, and if I complain enough you'll change my grade. I don't stand for any of this and I think it's ridiculous when people do! (I NEVER send out missed lectures, I NEVER change grades, I reward those who come to class by making sure they have the material they need to do well on the test).

I think it is RIDICULOUS that you are sitting there wasting time and I would seriously take it up with 1) the professor and if that doesn't work 2) the department chair and then 3) the Dean. I know that I would get in DEEP trouble if I was wasting lecture time like that. You are the customer and should get what you pay for!

Old 03-26-2008, 05:13 PM

392 posts, read 1,858,375 times
Thanks for the input, I will talk to the prof. I didn't know if this was the new version of teaching that echoes the "be their friend" version of parenting.

Old 03-26-2008, 05:15 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,379,099 times
imho attitude is usually where my 4.0 average comes from.
its not about what they are doing its about me. the losers
are providing me with a wonderful curve i get graded on.

Old 03-26-2008, 05:58 PM

2,467 posts, read 12,243,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stock66 View Post
Thanks for the input, I will talk to the prof. I didn't know if this was the new version of teaching that echoes the "be their friend" version of parenting.
It definitly doesn't do them any favors in the real world! Also, there is a TON of grade inflation now, which is unfortunate for those who really work hard.

Old 03-26-2008, 06:23 PM

15,859 posts, read 21,426,103 times
Junior colleges are like an extension of high school, with attitudes of professors to match. Many of my high school teachers were former community college or junior college teachers who left because kids took high school more seriously.

That's never been the view of any college class I've taken. Sure, kids skip, but that's on them. Personally, the only class I ever really skipped was an intro class that I took having already taken about 6 of the higher level classes, but I needed it for my major. It was a waste of time I could spend studying so I only went for the midterms, final, and to turn in the final paper and made out with an A in a class that was curved. *shrug* But that's the only class I ever could or would skip.

What's really problematic is kids who haven't read. It's one thing if you haven't read in a lecture but all my classes are discussions essentially facilitated by professors. If you haven't read and can't participate, it's almost not worth it to show up at all.

Old 03-26-2008, 06:36 PM

2,541 posts, read 11,331,999 times
The education and discipline, and overall respect for your teachers, parents, bosses, and overall society has in fact deteriorated

I would know because honestly I was one of those people LOL

But seriously a lot of people who go to college these days would not have been considered college material in the early 90's or 80's.

It is just that society is sending everyone to college whether they are real college men/women or not

Remember there was a time when most people did not go to college, and it was not long ago

Old 03-26-2008, 06:36 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,828,196 times
I received my B.A. in 1991, so it's been a while since I've been in an undergraduate classroom, but most of my classmates came to class on a regular basis, and hardly anyone came in late.

Only one of my professors had a strict "no-tardy" policy, and as soon as it was time for class to start, he simply locked the door and refused to let any late-comers in.

There was a LOT more tardiness in the grad classes that I just finished. In a 2-1/2 hour class, it wasn't uncommon for one or two people to walk in half-way through. At that point, IMHO -- why bother showing up at all ???

Old 03-26-2008, 06:48 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,929,154 times
Universities are like that too.

Some people miss classes a lot. Some people show up 5 minutes or more late. Some folks leave early. It just happens. I am one of them.

All lectures are on the internet to view. Why show up?

All homework posted on the internet. Why show up?

Most all homework turned in via email. Why show up?

Group work is completed out of class. Why show up?

etc. What is the point of being so uptight about class?

Most professors cannot lecture and I feel like I wasted my money and time sitting around listening to a "professional" that cannot even lecture, speak clearly, or capture my attention. Why show up?

Most classmates think they are smarter than me and that my opinion doesn't count at all. Why show up, If I have to put up with a bad attitude, when I am not getting credit or a grade for it?

If the professor takes roll, attendance, and gives extra credit for participation - then yes, show up!

If the professor is an effective speaker and gives good lectures - then yes, show up!

If the class mates are competitive, rude, and psycho (like they think they are still in junior high) - then why show up for group work??

It is the University or Colleges' fault for facilitating such an unprofessional and uneducational atmosphere.

Last edited by artsyguy; 03-26-2008 at 06:56 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities