Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2008, 06:54 PM

471 posts, read 1,475,722 times

Advertisements

Alright. I want to get into the world of accounting, and everything. And, I was looking as to where an accountant can go.. and, with experience one can become a CFO. Onto the search, I found out you need an MBA to become a CFO and so forth.

Hence, I would like to get an MBA / BA.
Of course, I am not going to be starting out a CFO, and the MBA is not needed. But, it does make the resume look a tad more prettier.

Anyway. I plan to do 2 years of community college and then 3 at another college. (I'm either looking at Marist or NYU, something in New York (i live there, haha)).

What do you guys say about the whole thing? What would YOU do different?
And, what are my career possibilities?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2008, 09:32 AM

2,260 posts, read 3,881,421 times
Sounds like a plan but I dont see any reason the Bachelors in Accounting should take 5 years. 2 at the CC and 2 at the U should do it if needed take summer classes. Also I'd be very concerned about prepping for the CPA which is a critical credential. My wife graduated with a BS in Acct. in December and is finding the material very difficult. The pass rates are below 50% and it looks like the people who fare best are the ones doing 30 credit Masters of Accounting as the core cirriculum relates directly to the CPA exam. Maybe if you went for the MBA and used the Masters of accounting core as electives you could kill 2 birds with one stone, get the CPA and the MBA. You would probably have the credits for the accounting masters also.

Old 04-05-2008, 10:19 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,157,635 times
Here are my thoughts.

If an MBA isn't already indispensable to an executive-level position, it will be in the next few years. So to become a CFO, you'll need one.

That being said, I think the big mistake people make is to graduate college and then immediately go into an MBA program. Why? Because they have absolutely no working experience in the business world. So you have newly-minted MBAs unleashed on the world every year who elbow their way into meetings and make incredibly dumb decisions based on theory rather than working experience. And they don't listen to advice because "I'm an MBA, that's why."

As a marketing person who acts as guest lecturerer at several MBA programs around my region, including two very prestigious ones, I have to continuously impress the need for actual experience on MBA candidates. Because, without experience, I wouldn't trust an MBA with a box of kitchen matches.

Old 04-05-2008, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Sounds like a plan but I dont see any reason the Bachelors in Accounting should take 5 years. 2 at the CC and 2 at the U should do it if needed take summer classes. Also I'd be very concerned about prepping for the CPA which is a critical credential. My wife graduated with a BS in Acct. in December and is finding the material very difficult. The pass rates are below 50% and it looks like the people who fare best are the ones doing 30 credit Masters of Accounting as the core cirriculum relates directly to the CPA exam. Maybe if you went for the MBA and used the Masters of accounting core as electives you could kill 2 birds with one stone, get the CPA and the MBA. You would probably have the credits for the accounting masters also.
Mm. That sounds pretty good. Would doing an MBA and a masters in accounting be hard? Because personally. I love working with numbers, and, I don't mind the work load, and, I will do whatever it takes.

Quote:
If an MBA isn't already indispensable to an executive-level position, it will be in the next few years. So to become a CFO, you'll need one.
Yup. And, really dumb question. But, do they ever expire? Like, Say someone got their MBA in '82, is it still valued the same as one from '03 or something? :x I'm really new to this whole this, haha.

Old 04-05-2008, 02:00 PM

1,627 posts, read 6,504,967 times
Once you have a masters, you always have one. It's what you do with it that counts.

Also key is where you get your MBA. An MBA from a mediocre school is not the same as getting one at Stanford, Harvard, Northwestern, etc. And those schools do not admit many students straight from college. They want to see that you have some business sense in the real world and do well there first. They do accept some, but it's the exception.

Do really well in college, get some experience, and go to a top tier MBA program. Then you'll be on a good track, not just sending in mediocre resumes from a mediocre school wondering why you're not getting hired/making good money.

Old 04-05-2008, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogandtoad View Post
Once you have a masters, you always have one. It's what you do with it that counts.

Also key is where you get your MBA. An MBA from a mediocre school is not the same as getting one at Stanford, Harvard, Northwestern, etc. And those schools do not admit many students straight from college. They want to see that you have some business sense in the real world and do well there first. They do accept some, but it's the exception.

Do really well in college, get some experience, and go to a top tier MBA program. Then you'll be on a good track, not just sending in mediocre resumes from a mediocre school wondering why you're not getting hired/making good money.
Makes perfect sense. Thank you for the input!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities