Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2022, 06:55 PM

5,527 posts, read 3,252,102 times

Advertisements

Quote:
More than 1 million fewer students are enrolled in college now than before the pandemic began. According to new data released Thursday, U.S. colleges and universities saw a drop of nearly 500,000 undergraduate students in the fall of 2021, continuing a historic decline that began the previous fall.
https://www.npr.org/2022/01/13/10725...lment-numbers-

The bulk of the reduction has come from community colleges.

From the article, college enrollment has been declining since 2012. Before the pandemic it was due to a smaller student cohort. That situation won't improve, so I think it's safe to say that colleges and universities have already seen peak enrollment that won't increase for the foreseeable future.

But while community colleges and less prestigious four year colleges are seeing big declines, I bet admission is still competitive at the best universities. If anything more people than ever recognize the premium of a prestige education.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2022, 07:54 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,712 posts, read 58,042,598 times
It's a very good idea to WORK / earn income while the opportunities are still ripe. That will not last forever.

Additionally, when a student returns to college after a stint working / military / volunteering, they are far more incentized, focused and contribute more to their cohort. When they graduate from college (having worked before or during) they are often far superior in benefit to their employer and community.

Over 1 million students have left college in the past two years Count me as one who affirms. (As a teacher, prof, parent, aged student, and employer / job creator)

Old 01-13-2022, 10:08 PM

3,606 posts, read 1,657,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondalist View Post
https://www.npr.org/2022/01/13/10725...lment-numbers-

The bulk of the reduction has come from community colleges.

From the article, college enrollment has been declining since 2012. Before the pandemic it was due to a smaller student cohort. That situation won't improve, so I think it's safe to say that colleges and universities have already seen peak enrollment that won't increase for the foreseeable future.

But while community colleges and less prestigious four year colleges are seeing big declines, I bet admission is still competitive at the best universities. If anything more people than ever recognize the premium of a prestige education.
How is prestige defined at the college level? Private Ivy League only? Top 20, 50, or 100 US News ranked colleges? Public states or more expensive privates? Agree that the higher ranked colleges will always be competitive. Prestige is overrated (especially at undergraduate level)...is really what you do in college and after college in the workplace that is most important. College affordability is a main factor for most...and a big reason for the declines at the community college level.

Old 01-13-2022, 10:42 PM

2,367 posts, read 909,253 times
Nobody wants to take Zoom classes. At some elite colleges, students stayed only because they don't want to drop out and not be able to come back. The tuition is not reduced but all you get is online learning. What a scam. With community colleges, you can drop out and come back anytime.

Old 01-13-2022, 10:45 PM

5,527 posts, read 3,252,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPibbs View Post
Nobody wants to take Zoom classes. At some elite colleges, students stayed only because they don't want to drop out and not be able to come back. The tuition is not reduced but all you get is online learning. What a scam. With community colleges, you can drop out and come back anytime.
Article says only something like 5% of CC students came back after in person learning resumed.

The draw of a robust entry level job market was probably the bigger factor.

Old 01-13-2022, 10:47 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,895,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherman99 View Post
How is prestige defined at the college level? Private Ivy League only? Top 20, 50, or 100 US News ranked colleges? Public states or more expensive privates? Agree that the higher ranked colleges will always be competitive. Prestige is overrated (especially at undergraduate level)...is really what you do in college and after college in the workplace that is most important. College affordability is a main factor for most...and a big reason for the declines at the community college level.
There is a very thin slice of people who care one whit about the college you got your bachelors degree from, they exist primarily in the remnants of provincial New England and similar environs. Most everybody who are themselves makers, thinkers and producers, in all aspects, care about what you are doing and thinking about today and what you’ve learned about your experiences, successes and failures of your past.

I had a great time in a local state college but came from an educator’s family, my father was a Dean and Vice President of a college and I very much saw the “man behind the curtain” aspect of that institution so never took it too serious and got out of it with zero debt and a marketable enough degree but never thought or was taught that that was ever the only pathway to success.

Old 01-13-2022, 11:05 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPibbs View Post
I'm not sure it is a scam. It's more work for the instructors, and they put a lot of effort not only into preparing video lectures, but in interacting with students online, and as always, being available for "office hours" (online) to offer guidance, answer questions, and so on. The instructors/professors want to get paid, so they need to retain a good level of enrollment so their classes won't be dropped for not meeting the minimum enrollment requirement.

Old 01-14-2022, 12:00 AM

3,606 posts, read 1,657,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post
There is a very thin slice of people who care one whit about the college you got your bachelors degree from, they exist primarily in the remnants of provincial New England and similar environs. Most everybody who are themselves makers, thinkers and producers, in all aspects, care about what you are doing and thinking about today and what you’ve learned about your experiences, successes and failures of your past.

I had a great time in a local state college but came from an educator’s family, my father was a Dean and Vice President of a college and I very much saw the “man behind the curtain” aspect of that institution so never took it too serious and got out of it with zero debt and a marketable enough degree but never thought or was taught that that was ever the only pathway to success.
Similar environs usually being wealthy "old money" areas. I also took the public state college, zero debt, marketable degree route as an undergraduate although some of my wealthy buddies attended the more expensive in state privates.

Old 01-14-2022, 04:10 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,964,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondalist View Post
Over 1 million students have left college in the past two years

Most of them, and most of those who went before them, didn't belong in college to begin with.

Old 01-14-2022, 07:46 PM

5,521 posts, read 8,769,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post

Unfortunately. the prestigious degree still counts a lot for certain desirable programs, professional graduate schools, and industries. The kid graduating from (to use random examples) the University of South Carolina may be as smart and ambitious as the kid graduating from Stanford. But the latter will have a much easier time landing a slot in medical school or a job at a prestigious Wall Street firm, one of the big tech outfits, a major management consulting company, or a mainstream media outlet. For those with such ambitions, yes, the educational pedigree does matter. For others, not so much.

Last edited by citylove101; 01-14-2022 at 08:02 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities