Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2008, 08:04 AM

8,355 posts, read 25,143,274 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlaT2 View Post
I've always wondered how people who have been working full time for a long time and have kids go back to college full time? I'm in my early 40's with a child, but I've always wanted to go to college. How do people who have mortgages and bills and kids do that without taking one class at a time, which would probably mean I'm dead before I ever get a degree. LOL. Do any of the financial aid programs available help with living expenses? I just was laid off recently, so have really been wondering about that. But with a child to support, not sure how. Do you guys know if any states offer help to unemployed workers who want to go back to school? Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks!
I think that the main driving factor is the hope of provide more for their children, ASAP. Realistically, if you only took one or two courses a semester, your child would be grown by the time you got a B.A. or B.S. At least that was a motivating factor for one of my friends. She lived a sort-of laid-back lifestyle, but when she had her first kid she enrolled into a nursing program full time while raising her baby. She some how managed to do it all while maintaining a high-GPA to boot. By the time her child was four, my friend graduated and is making bank working as a nurse. She now has a second child, wants a third and is planning on going to grad school soon. She has a husband who helped out with everything along the way, mostly by working overtime year in and year out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2008, 08:15 AM

139 posts, read 152,289 times
Your priorities will define the limits of your freedoms. However, creative solutions will require flexible thinking about your responsibilities. You can free up time and money to do what you want by refusing the limits of your circumstance and your knowledge about how to move ahead on your goals. You may need to brainstorm with a friend, or colleaque.

Old 04-26-2008, 12:10 PM

41 posts, read 127,941 times
Default late scholar

I returned to school at 47. I enjoyed it. I got two certificates despite being told by a teacher that I might as well go home as I wouldn't make it. His course I just passed in but the rest I got an A+. I thought about disputing his mark but change my mind and accepted it.

Old 05-17-2008, 01:12 PM

1,179 posts, read 3,792,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
You can do it if you set your mind to it. I went to college after a lay-off raising 2 kids alone. I was a full time student and worked part time jobs. It took me about 7 yrs. to get my B.S. tho. You will have to cut expenses first. We had no cable tv, phone, etc. Apply for State finincial aid, grants, loans and schlorships. The internet is a great tool in finding financial help. Good luck to you.
I need to look into financial aid. I'm going to take some community college classes this fall, but was looking more down the road after a transfer to a university. I really want a 4 year degree. Does financial aid give you enough to pay the bills to live in an apartment and go to school full time? I'd really like to be able to concentrate on that, but the only colleges that offer the degree I want are not near any family or friends, so I'd be taking care of daughter by myself. I've wanted to go to college since I was 17, but for various reasons never did. I think I had a "I'm too old to do it now" menality for years which I'm trying to change. It's easier to just keep working, and making ok money, in an industry you're familiar with than to start all over at 45, but my sister was telling me her friend started college to be a dentist in her 40's, and has been a dentist now for years. That's very inspirational to people who always dream of doing it, but other obligations and lack of support get in the way. Anyway, thanks for all the suggestions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities