Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2020, 02:29 PM

19 posts, read 17,134 times

Advertisements

My son is interested in getting a degree in sports management and I'm scouring the web trying to find good colleges to consider. Each time I think I've found a reliable website it's obvious it's a paid recommendation. We live in Minnesota and are looking at the University of MN in Minneapolis and it's surprisingly affordable but I want to see what other options lie out there for him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2020, 10:32 PM

8,489 posts, read 8,771,754 times
U Minn is probably fine.

Didnt find any rankings I would trust either.

If he is totally committed to sports management then it is one way to go. Other ways are doing standard management with a concentration in sports or standard management as an undergraduate then sports management as a graduate degree. Statistics and marketing degrees could work too and offer flexibility.

Key will be extra independent work to prep and internships. Multiple would be better than one. Working with a college team while in college would give a leg up on the numerous competition. Fierce effort to make contacts and show actual experience is very important.

Might be worth sending a letter to a favorite sports team exec and see what they say (if they respond). At minimum it is a kick off event to saying I am taking this serious.

Old 02-18-2020, 12:12 AM

8,489 posts, read 8,771,754 times
Send him to this 2020 Conference - MIT Sloan Analytics Conference (wait list or next year) and / or encourage him to watch a lot of the past panel videos available at this site or on YouTube. Eventually most people probably need to pick and pursue a niche. Identify it.

Old 02-18-2020, 01:40 PM

105 posts, read 52,209 times
Sports management is a good major for non-academically inclined athletes needing an easy curriculum to remain eligible for their sport. If you're actually interested in sports management as a career, and not just in attaining a high GPA without much work, I second the above recommendation to major in something like statistics, and to start hustling for internships with sports teams or agencies from day one. Good luck!

Old 02-21-2020, 06:25 AM

41,938 posts, read 36,935,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartleby69 View Post
Sports management is a good major for non-academically inclined athletes needing an easy curriculum to remain eligible for their sport. If you're actually interested in sports management as a career, and not just in attaining a high GPA without much work, I second the above recommendation to major in something like statistics, and to start hustling for internships with sports teams or agencies from day one. Good luck!

This, stats, analytics, business, law.

Old 02-21-2020, 07:10 AM

11,477 posts, read 11,548,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartleby69 View Post
Agree.

Old 02-26-2020, 09:13 AM

1,962 posts, read 1,815,321 times
Getting a degree in Sports Management is a terrible idea. Your son would have a lot more options and opportunities if he when with a degree in Business, Management, Marketing, etc. Then maybe try and do a minor or something in sports management. And if he's dead set on getting a Sports Management degree then it might be best to do a double major to go with the Sports Management degree.

Old 02-27-2020, 03:35 PM

3,886 posts, read 3,500,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gt87 View Post
Getting a degree in Sports Management is a terrible idea. Your son would have a lot more options and opportunities if he when with a degree in Business, Management, Marketing, etc. Then maybe try and do a minor or something in sports management. And if he's dead set on getting a Sports Management degree then it might be best to do a double major to go with the Sports Management degree.
Well said. I (and I'm not alone) view Sports Management as a vanity degree - one with terrible job prospects that allows someone to indulge their fantasies and vanities. Maybe it's good prep for managing a local little league team? Seriously, you might ask around to find out how many sports management professionals have such a degree? And how many got there by a different path?

Keep in mind that colleges and universities are selling products - the various degrees and credentials they award. Sometimes, they offer such things solely to meet customer (read: students and their parents) demand (and realize revenue, AK tuition), not because these things will benefit customers in the long run.

Of course, for some families, such degrees are useful and valuable. Pursuing one might get a kid to college who might not otherwise go; it allow a ksid to dream for a few years; it can grant bragging rights. Just be prepared to support the kid after they graduate while they hunt for a career that might pay the rent, or during a series of unpaid internships.

Old 02-27-2020, 08:49 PM

3,372 posts, read 1,564,721 times
My recommendation. Check the job market in this field and feedback on this degree track. Reconsider majors.

Old 02-28-2020, 05:44 AM

26,717 posts, read 26,776,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Crow View Post
Key will be extra independent work to prep and internships. Multiple would be better than one. Working with a college team while in college would give a leg up on the numerous competition. Fierce effort to make contacts and show actual experience is very important.
In my state, that's everything. And the internships will be non paid, even with a college degree. (Sometimes the job is not an internship, and it won't be a paid position, either.) It's a long haul, but they won't look at anyone without that experience. From what I've seen, nobody needs a degree in sports team management.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities