Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2020, 01:31 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,711 posts, read 58,042,598 times

Advertisements

We did a one year long Round the World trip focused on educational institutions with botany / horticulture / unique climates and adaptable plant species. And always allocate research and viewing time to USA land grant Universities and their demonstration plots. Botanical Gardens. Recently did all the U's in SE USA for fall gardens / colors. Nice, but not spectacular. Like every thing 'college' ... Has potential... but has not yet arrived.

But I fail the "test" because I did not attend each as a student. I can easily respond to what I think of mysterious implied "tests", unassociated to the problem statement. I'm not sure I ever followed 'the rules'. Hope not!

. What are some of the things you like about a college you attended?
Expected responses...
1) EDU
2) Costs
3) equipping for career / service / life
4) Social
5) sports
6) Activities
7) proximity to variety of experiences
8) locale / region
9) facilities / food

999) intangibles /
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2020, 03:37 PM

17,795 posts, read 13,687,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemVegas View Post

Clemson hosts the ACC rowing championship meet every year and has several meets every year with teams from all over the country.
Frank Howard must be rolling over in his grave...

Quote:
When asked about the possibility of a rowing team at Clemson, Howard replied: "I will never endorse a sport in which you sit on your butt and go backwards."

Old 03-11-2020, 06:00 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,506,680 times
I loved my college experience! It was a small, liberal arts college in Northeastern Iowa. The land around was beautiful and I did a lot of hiking and walking around the small town. They had a small ski place when I went there (I think it is no longer there), which was my first skiing experience.

The town became a little famous with the "Decorah Eagles" thing: https://www.raptorresource.org/birdcams/decorah-eagles/

Dunning Springs- easy walk from campus:

Pulpit Rock (a little further)

Lots of kayaking and tubing on the river in summer/spring https://www.visitdecorah.com/canoein...g-and-kayaking

Oh, the college is Luther College

Old 03-12-2020, 02:10 AM

3,007 posts, read 6,287,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemVegas View Post
I am interested in hearing about things college grads liked about their college and area around the college that are not academic related or something that outsiders think about already, like basketball for Duke and UNC.

For example, one thing I like about Clemson is there is a lake next to campus with two large grass covered dikes where people can walk. There's a lake beach area with docks between the two dikes and behind the university rowing team's boathouse. A lot of students and community residents will be out here on nice days.

Clemson hosts the ACC rowing championship meet every year and has several meets every year with teams from all over the country.

There's also another beach area, Snow Family Outdoor Fitness and Wellness Complex, right across Lake Hartwell from Clemson, traditionally called Y Beach because a YMCA was located there back in the day.

The university has recently built a new building at Y Beach for the outdoor recreation program. It houses two academic classrooms, as well as areas for boat and equipment storage, bike repair, adventure trip resources and rentals. Athletic fields have been created as well.

Here's an animated aerial flythrough of Y Beach: https://www.clemson.edu/campus-life/...x/visuals.html

Traditionally the city of Clemson has held its 4th of July fireworks show at Y Beach. It is one of the best ones in South Carolina in my view. There are a ton of boats out on the water and people watching as well from across the lake on the dikes and the boathouse dock area.
Size
Unlimited Diversity of happenings
Departments and Courses in really cool and highly specialized areas
Not overwhelmed by Greek life.
Residential
Cool areas in town nearby
Close to major city and airport
naturally beautiful or historically cool

Old 03-25-2020, 07:51 PM

10,105 posts, read 7,402,235 times
Enjoyed reading the good posts.

Another one I meant to mention for Clemson is the large number of waterfalls nearby to include Whitewater Falls, which has an upper portion in NC right over the border and lower portion in SC. Some say both sections combined make Whitewater Falls the tallest waterfall east of the Mississippi River.

Here's a Youtube clip of the Whitewater Falls.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MhPxLnksg6Q

The pristine Chattooga whitewater river is 1 hour from Clemson. It is one of the best rafting rivers in the country. The Burt Reynolds movie Deliverance was filmed on this river which caused its popularity to skyrocket although it seems like the opposite would have happened.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IoGFUmZcC-s

Old 03-27-2020, 05:41 PM

399 posts, read 270,697 times
going to the dine hall and making myself a waffle for breakfast.

Old 03-27-2020, 08:35 PM

5,527 posts, read 3,252,102 times
I liked the fact that my university had few barriers between departments and colleges. I transferred colleges midway without much difficulty as my career aspirations changed. That proved to be very important.

I also, personally, liked that I was 1.5-2 hours from home. That was far enough that I became independent (as did my parents) but close enough to be convenient.

Old 03-28-2020, 12:20 PM

3,886 posts, read 3,504,464 times
UC Santa Barbara for grad school.

Best thing: Campus is on the Pacific Ocean with beach on two sides. Never really went to the beach, but it was great to look at after a long day in the lab. It was also a hoot to see the top chemistry professor (in his 60s, I think) heading to the beach with his wet-suit, surf board and two much younger guys.

Except for the short rainy season, every day was a cloudless clear blue sky. Made it easier to be indoors working, because yesterday was gorgeous, today is, tomorrow will be too, so no FOMO.

Old 04-01-2020, 06:21 PM

272 posts, read 130,923 times
I liked the 20 some mile commute daily. It was close enough that I could leave reasonably late and get to class on time easily, but far enough away that I could decompress on the way home.

I liked moving through my nursing classes in a cohort. We got to know each other. We didn’t necessarily like each other, but we got to know one another.

I felt when I graduated that I had finally accomplished something.

Old 04-22-2020, 07:05 PM

10,105 posts, read 7,402,235 times
Oregon State has some great mountain biking trails in its research forest, McDonald Forest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=050tg5UG78Y
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities