Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2020, 09:03 AM

10,105 posts, read 7,395,968 times

Advertisements

I am interested in hearing about things college grads liked about their college and area around the college that are not academic related or something that outsiders think about already, like basketball for Duke and UNC.

For example, one thing I like about Clemson is there is a lake next to campus with two large grass covered dikes where people can walk. There's a lake beach area with docks between the two dikes and behind the university rowing team's boathouse. A lot of students and community residents will be out here on nice days.

Clemson hosts the ACC rowing championship meet every year and has several meets every year with teams from all over the country.

There's also another beach area, Snow Family Outdoor Fitness and Wellness Complex, right across Lake Hartwell from Clemson, traditionally called Y Beach because a YMCA was located there back in the day.

The university has recently built a new building at Y Beach for the outdoor recreation program. It houses two academic classrooms, as well as areas for boat and equipment storage, bike repair, adventure trip resources and rentals. Athletic fields have been created as well.

Here's an animated aerial flythrough of Y Beach: https://www.clemson.edu/campus-life/...x/visuals.html

Traditionally the city of Clemson has held its 4th of July fireworks show at Y Beach. It is one of the best ones in South Carolina in my view. There are a ton of boats out on the water and people watching as well from across the lake on the dikes and the boathouse dock area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2020, 11:15 AM

99 posts, read 50,044 times
It’s interesting that everything you liked was outdoor and had little to do with the college itself. An average person would list campus, friends, professors, experiences or traditions first.

Old 03-07-2020, 11:40 AM

The things that I mentioned are part of the campus outside of the lake. I also said that I'm interested in hearing about things in the local area.

I'm not sure how you know the 'average person' would list that stuff without the ability to mind read. It looks like you are trying to be negative and this was the best you could come up with. I don't have a problem with a person who is not the 'average person' (which is you, as you see it) responding. I like unique people.

I am particularly interested in outdoor related stuff. I specifically said I am not interested in academic stuff on this topic so why would t he 'average person' respond with stuff about professors. I'm not going to get anything out of a discussion of your friends.

It is interesting you didn't respond with something you like about a college you attended. Instead you made an off topic post.

Last edited by ClemVegas; 03-07-2020 at 11:54 AM..

Old 03-07-2020, 01:34 PM

99 posts, read 50,044 times
I wasn’t trying to be negative but did miss details of your question and went by the subject line. Pardon my negligence.

Old 03-07-2020, 04:57 PM

12,837 posts, read 9,037,151 times
As another CU grad, I agree about the outdoor opportunities. In keeping with theme of non academic topics, a couple things I'd add is the botanical gardens and people. Loved jogging those garden trails. And the genuine happiness of pretty much everyone on campus. People loved being there and wanted to share it with others.

If we did want to go I to academics or dorms or such, those could be companion threads too.

Old 03-07-2020, 07:07 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,373,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemVegas View Post
I am interested in hearing about things college grads liked about their college and area around the college that are not academic related or something that outsiders think about already, like basketball for Duke and UNC.

For example, one thing I like about Clemson is there is a lake next to campus with two large grass covered dikes where people can walk. There's a lake beach area with docks between the two dikes and behind the university rowing team's boathouse. A lot of students and community residents will be out here on nice days.

Clemson hosts the ACC rowing championship meet every year and has several meets every year with teams from all over the country.

There's also another beach area, Snow Family Outdoor Fitness and Wellness Complex, right across Lake Hartwell from Clemson, traditionally called Y Beach because a YMCA was located there back in the day.

The university has recently built a new building at Y Beach for the outdoor recreation program. It houses two academic classrooms, as well as areas for boat and equipment storage, bike repair, adventure trip resources and rentals. Athletic fields have been created as well.

Here's an animated aerial flythrough of Y Beach: https://www.clemson.edu/campus-life/...x/visuals.html

Traditionally the city of Clemson has held its 4th of July fireworks show at Y Beach. It is one of the best ones in South Carolina in my view. There are a ton of boats out on the water and people watching as well from across the lake on the dikes and the boathouse dock area.
i liked that my colleges were cheap.

Old 03-07-2020, 07:10 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,700 posts, read 58,012,579 times
.What are some of the things you like about a college you attended?

The ones that were close to my job, and had tiny class sizes.

5 degrees, 3 colleges. Not once did I have time or care to attend a school sporting event. I had minimum of 3 jobs at a time including primary employment with mandatory overtime. You think I was going to sacrifice OT pay to attend a sporting event? . I had parents that I was financially supporting, so $2.65 / hr + time and a half + night shift premium was nearly $5/ hr!!! That only required 28 hrs of OT work to make my house payment, so my parents would have a roof over their head.

Life was so simple then.
True, college yrs are a piece of cake. Enjoy it.
Reality is just around the corner.

Old 03-08-2020, 08:45 AM

I'd like to hear about things that I could see like botanical gardens, buildings, campus layout and landscaping, waterfalls/whitewater rivers/ lakes nearby, restaurants near the campus, etc.

Another example would be I like the architecture of the clock tower building at Clemson, Tillman Hall.

Tillman Hall and Bowman Field Nov 1954 by clemsonstepp, on Flickr

The tower has a carillon with 48 bells that are played by a person using a keyboard in the tower and set up to automatically chime the bells every 15 minutes.

There are only 66 universities or schools in the US that have a carillon on campus according to this list. http://www.towerbells.org/data/IXNATRinstype.html

I also like the area in front of Tillman overlooking Bowman Field with large trees along the edge of the field and a view of the Blue Ridge mountains looking toward downtown Clemson.

Last edited by ClemVegas; 03-08-2020 at 09:03 AM..

Old 03-09-2020, 08:30 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,550 posts, read 81,117,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C24L View Post
i liked that my colleges were cheap.
Same here, that was one great thing about being in California then. My BA is from Cal State Hayward, now called Cal State East Bay. I went to graduate school at Sacrament State, and also took some classes at San Francisco State and Sonoma State. Of those not much stands out as all that great other than . The Hayward campus is high on a hill overlooking the east bay, with great views, and was very peaceful, quiet and isolated back then. Development around it since has changed that some. Sac state is located close to the American River, but also close enough to the Sierra foothills for great recreational opportunities when not in class.

Old 03-09-2020, 09:11 AM

102,195 posts, read 107,823,938 times
Well, now I"m confused about what types of things the OP wants us to mention in the "what I liked about my college" column, so I'll just mention what comes to mind, whether it's about academics or non-academic features.

College: University of Washington, Seattle

1. Had plenty of interesting special-interest courses that had very small enrollment: 10-20 students (a rare few: 5-6 students), so it was far from the impersonal experience usually warned about in large public universities (i.e. huge survey courses with hundreds of students).

2. Had special-interest dorms. This really helps people make friends by forming w/people of similar interests.

3. Has a waterfront center on Lake Washington in a wetlands area. Popular for renting canoes on the weekends, and paddling around the marshes with the ducks and ducklings.

4. Has an ethnomusicology department. This tended to inspire students to organize their own bands in various exotic music traditions, which contributed immensely to the enrichment of the local music scene around town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities