Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2020, 09:29 PM

19,955 posts, read 18,253,536 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
I think we can all agree that studying a difficult and specialized field like medicine, law, engineering, computer science or the like, at the graduate level, is far different than non-specialized undergraduate education. That should be obvious. We do not have the system they have in England, where undergraduates generally apply to specific majors at the top universities.

Moreover, defining “merit” involves far more than just test scores, especially for undergraduates. Grades, course selection, non academic accomplishments, and life circumstances, can easily reveal “merit” as well. Can these factors together show as much as an SAT score?

Many top schools are test optional, but I don’t know of any that will not consider test scores even if they are submitted. Let the great experiment begin!
I've been in academia for a long time. Per graduating high schoolers test scores are more important/meaningful than grades.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2020, 10:06 PM

3,981 posts, read 6,753,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
I get both sides too, but what makes a school great is how diverse it is.

Is race the only kind of diversity that matters?

Some of the most dedicated students in my college where the older students with work and life experience. And what about diversity of thought? Just like I wouldn't want to live in a place dominated by one political party I would not want to attend a university where everyone accepted a political/social platform to the exclusion of all others, e.g. Univ. of Hawaii and there "anti-free speech zones."

I don't agree that diversity is a guarantee of a great school. There are plenty of great schools that have little in the way of diversity, e.g. Stanford. The best school district in Texas, Eanes, is not diverse at all.

Old 05-21-2020, 11:05 PM

1,011 posts, read 2,471,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by verybadgnome View Post
Is race the only kind of diversity that matters?

Some of the most dedicated students in my college where the older students with work and life experience. And what about diversity of thought? Just like I wouldn't want to live in a place dominated by one political party I would not want to attend a university where everyone accepted a political/social platform to the exclusion of all others, e.g. Univ. of Hawaii and there "anti-free speech zones."

I don't agree that diversity is a guarantee of a great school. There are plenty of great schools that have little in the way of diversity, e.g. Stanford. The best school district in Texas, Eanes, is not diverse at all.
I attended Westlake High and worked at Stanford before.

When I was at Westlake, it was very top-heavy. We had an extremely high percentage of kids one year making National Merit. It was not the quality of the instruction, but the example of a subset of the parents coming from high-end professional backgrounds, and the competition of the kids at the top competing to make their futures better. Teachers almost everywhere will adjust to the students in their classes.

It was a bubble, where the majority of the kids were rich spoiled entitled brats. I am probably being too nice with that wording.

When I was at Stanford, I would say, some of the people there were extremely exceptional. However, in STEM, I felt most of the people there were not exceptional (compared to other top, or even not-so-top schools), and were their just to have the Stanford name on their resume. They was not the same level of competition or fear of success that would have occurred at say, Berkeley. Those few exceptional people were motivated, but the bulk were no more motivated than other noticeably lower-ranked programs, and certainly didn't seem as passionate or full of intellectual curiosity.

Having attended other top ranked programs (both top 10 US and/or top 10 major), if anything, I don't feel the quality of instruction, or resources, teachers, etc. are any better. It's the social aspect, whether from the competition and drive to succeed being you're being graded more harshly against more motivated and more highly prepared peers, or whether some people are there for social connections which could facilitate future success.

Old 05-22-2020, 06:37 AM

12,895 posts, read 9,151,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
As a white male, shouldnt the White/Asian kid in an upper middle class household have an SAT score 300 points higher? I mean, when you get handed more tools in your toolbox and you dont have to live through as many experiences as other races/groups of people, you should have a higher SAT/GPA score. That hispanic kid with an SAT 300 points less will make up for it in experiences he brings to the university.
What makes you think being white or Asian means they were "handed" more tools or didn't live through difficult experiences?

Old 05-22-2020, 08:29 AM

4,346 posts, read 2,255,238 times
Awesome - equality thru mediocrity.

And instead of diplomas for actually completing their graduate program, everyone will get a Participation Trophy regardless of GPA.

Hooray for us!

Old 05-22-2020, 08:54 AM

12,895 posts, read 9,151,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
I think we can all agree that studying a difficult and specialized field like medicine, law, engineering, computer science or the like, at the graduate level, is far different than non-specialized undergraduate education. That should be obvious. We do not have the system they have in England, where undergraduates generally apply to specific majors at the top universities.

Moreover, defining “merit” involves far more than just test scores, especially for undergraduates. Grades, course selection, non academic accomplishments, and life circumstances, can easily reveal “merit” as well. Can these factors together show as much as an SAT score?

Many top schools are test optional, but I don’t know of any that will not consider test scores even if they are submitted. Let the great experiment begin!
I know it's a bit different, but who studies a non-specialized undergraduate education? The purpose for going to college is to study something. Whether it's physics or mechanical engineering or history or business or pre-historic women's poetry. I'm not saying all those lead to good jobs, but they are focused on something. What is a non-specialized undergraduate education and why would anyone even spend time and money on that?

Old 05-22-2020, 09:48 AM

654 posts, read 366,908 times
If I were in high school and had to face taking 2 standardized tests (the SAT plus the UC test, whenever it's developed) in case I wanted to apply to both UC schools and non-UC schools, I'd be irked. I'd take just one. So I would probably take the SAT and simply not apply to any UC schools. I'd guess that California residents may decide to take the UC test only and would apply only to UC schools, and non-California residents may decide to take just the SAT or the ACT and not bother applying to UC schools. So this change could bring more California residents and fewer nonresidents to UC schools.

Isn't it easier to just keep the SAT/ACT and weight scores based on ethnicity (or other disadvantaged statuses)?

Old 05-22-2020, 11:14 AM

19,955 posts, read 18,253,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GVLNATIVE View Post
If I were in high school and had to face taking 2 standardized tests (the SAT plus the UC test, whenever it's developed) in case I wanted to apply to both UC schools and non-UC schools, I'd be irked. I'd take just one. So I would probably take the SAT and simply not apply to any UC schools. I'd guess that California residents may decide to take the UC test only and would apply only to UC schools, and non-California residents may decide to take just the SAT or the ACT and not bother applying to UC schools. So this change could bring more California residents and fewer nonresidents to UC schools.

Isn't it easier to just keep the SAT/ACT and weight scores based on ethnicity (or other disadvantaged statuses)?
If UC is developing its own, "must take" admission test(s) then ditching the ACT/SAT may well make sense.

Old 05-22-2020, 01:03 PM

10,349 posts, read 14,017,115 times
Tests are racist. Test are classist. Yawn. What other kind of ist are we going to cry about?

Old 05-22-2020, 01:52 PM

5,528 posts, read 8,804,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
I know it's a bit different, but who studies a non-specialized undergraduate education? The purpose for going to college is to study something. Whether it's physics or mechanical engineering or history or business or pre-historic women's poetry. I'm not saying all those lead to good jobs, but they are focused on something. What is a non-specialized undergraduate education and why would anyone even spend time and money on that?
My bad. I meant non-specialized ADMISSIONS, not non-specialized education. In general U.S. students do not have to declare a major on their application. There are some exceptions of course, like for some nursing, business, or performing arts degrees, for example. But usually most kids choose a major (specialization) in sophomore year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities