Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2020, 06:29 PM

19,769 posts, read 18,055,300 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
Then the issue is who he dates, not college itself. Men can get accused of sexual assault in any context, not just college. If you really want to avoid this with certainty, tell him not to date any students. Date women from the general community or don't date at all.
Negative. The college and related groups massively overreacted by more or less convicting the kid via her words and some phony evidence.

Don't date at all......that's useful advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2020, 07:57 PM

2,486 posts, read 1,416,035 times
College should not mean large sucker buyer college loans. The schools work with the loan shark bottom feeders....

Old 06-28-2020, 08:14 AM

11,477 posts, read 11,548,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
At a very conservative school my son's best friend nearly lost his medical career before it began his junior year. He was accused and charged with sexual assault. The young lady was very believable.........the cops, his school, most of his friends, all of her friends. Long story short had her mother not cooperated with the defense - she sent identical affidavits to the prosecution, the cops, the defence and the school - he might have gone to prison on top of seeing his medical career evaporate. My son's friend ended up with only a wrecked semester and a large legal tab. This young lady ruined three men's before this......one guy in Colorado lived with a bogus sexual assault conviction for several years and two others were drummed out of college.

College age men facing bogus sexual assault charges is an unusual thing it is not a rare thing. It's dishonest to pretend otherwise.
I have a close friend who ran the law school intern program at his law firm. He was accused of making a pass at one of the interns (a male.) My friend is straight and married. It ended up in a ethics investigation and he was ultimately cleared.

My point is that it has nothing to do with college being hostile to men. This wasn’t at a college; it was at a prestigious law firm. A woman wasn’t involved either.

Old 06-28-2020, 08:59 AM

10,064 posts, read 7,229,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
Negative. The college and related groups massively overreacted by more or less convicting the kid via her words and some phony evidence.

Don't date at all......that's useful advice.
That can happen anywhere. But it also is rare and if you fon't miatreat people it's unlikely.

Old 06-30-2020, 03:36 PM

1,555 posts, read 2,518,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsworth View Post
Firstly, I will say there is nothing wrong with being a plumber. My son is a junior in high school. He does very well in school. He has been preparing for the SAT and his latest score on a practice SAT is 1500. He has said he likes "physical" labor and does not mind the prospect of working as say, a plumber. I will not pressure him to go to college but I think he would make well for himself if he did attend college.

He has a tendency to be self-depreciating. He downplays his abilities. He does far better than I did when I was his age. From what I read, colleges are rather hostile to men these days. I read another article that predicted 25% of colleges will fail in the future the way things are going.

Should I "strongly encourage" him to at least attend a community college for a while and explore his possibilities or just let him be? I am not sure what to do.
If he can get into the Plumbers Union, definitely go for it, if not get his butt to college.

Old 06-30-2020, 03:43 PM

19,769 posts, read 18,055,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
I have a close friend who ran the law school intern program at his law firm. He was accused of making a pass at one of the interns (a male.) My friend is straight and married. It ended up in a ethics investigation and he was ultimately cleared.

My point is that it has nothing to do with college being hostile to men. This wasn’t at a college; it was at a prestigious law firm. A woman wasn’t involved either.
I get that. My son's friend's situation had a whole lot to do with a college.

Old 06-30-2020, 04:02 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,851,777 times
Why would anyone want to miss out on college if they have an opportunity and ability to go? You get to learn all kinds of things, earn a degree which is always valueable on the market plus its a lot of fun. Maybe not every young man is into making like minded friends, drinking beer and chasing girls but it sure was fun...

Old 06-30-2020, 04:15 PM

24,095 posts, read 32,437,200 times
1. Education.

2. trade school after he has an education.

My hairdresser has a BA. A friend's son is a journey man carpenter. He has a BS in a glutted STEM subject.

Bother wanted entry into the middle class. Now they have both.

Old 06-30-2020, 06:51 PM

1,334 posts, read 2,992,392 times
A lot depends on how talented he is in his trade. Money chases talent in the trades just like anywhere else. We have all heard that the top 20% of real estate agents make 80% of total sales.

Be careful choosing a trade. Go back 10 to 15 years ago, every Fitter, Boilermaker, Millwright had more work than they could handle. Then the power plants switched from coal to natural gas and a lot of those trades are dead right now.

Those roto rooter guys do very well if they hustle. And also if they do the job right and don't get "Call backs". Those guys can make 100 G's a year.

Best of luck to your son whatever he does....

Old 06-30-2020, 06:54 PM

15,580 posts, read 15,650,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsworth View Post
Firstly, I will say there is nothing wrong with being a plumber. My son is a junior in high school. He does very well in school. He has been preparing for the SAT and his latest score on a practice SAT is 1500. He has said he likes "physical" labor and does not mind the prospect of working as say, a plumber. I will not pressure him to go to college but I think he would make well for himself if he did attend college.

He has a tendency to be self-depreciating. He downplays his abilities. He does far better than I did when I was his age. From what I read, colleges are rather hostile to men these days. I read another article that predicted 25% of colleges will fail in the future the way things are going.

Should I "strongly encourage" him to at least attend a community college for a while and explore his possibilities or just let him be? I am not sure what to do.
Maybe it depends on whether you brought him up to respect education and aspire to be an educated person. If you haven't, it's likely too late to encourage him now.

I can't imagine any truth to a generality of "hostility" toward men in college, but even if it were true - have you brought him up to shy away from all uncomfortable situations? A college degree doesn't exclude him from physical labor, and a willingness to do physical labor is a great fall-back. He can be a plumber any time, but there is an optimal window for college, and it opens right after high school, and it will never be the same if he imagine he can come back to it years later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities