Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2020, 12:01 PM

224 posts, read 297,804 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
Plumber as in Roto Rooter is what a lot of people have in the back of their minds. There is a lot more to it.

Trades often offer short term internships to snoop a bit. A lot of community colleges offer trade AA's and often placement. It may be a way for OP's son to get over some of his anxiety.
I wouldn't say my son is anxious. He is one smart guy but he seems to like a simple life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2020, 12:13 PM

224 posts, read 297,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
How exactly are they hostile?
Do some research on the Internet.

Old 05-24-2020, 12:24 PM

24,541 posts, read 10,859,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsworth View Post
I wouldn't say my son is anxious. He is one smart guy but he seems to like a simple life.
I may has used the incorrect term. Please let him research all his options and support him. Ask him to meet with Program Directors of local trade schools/community colleges NOT admissions. Some trades have an easy transition from US Armed Forces to civilian life.

SO's mother did her best to force him into med school. He rebelled. It took him 20 years to get into what he wanted do at 18.

Old 05-24-2020, 01:49 PM

1,751 posts, read 1,350,237 times
Quote:
Do some research on the Internet.

Old 05-24-2020, 01:56 PM

6,844 posts, read 3,960,264 times
If he wants to be a plumber, let him be a plumber. He will either love it or hate it. If he hates it, maybe he will decide that going to a college to get an education will make his life easier in the future.

He is probably attracted by the lifestyle of someone who is a plumber, possibly the money, car, independence, etc. If he loves being a plumber he may well be making 6 figures by the time he is in his thirties if he is good at it, doing something he really enjoys. College doesn't give that to many who do graduate. Doing a job you love is one of life's greatest gifts, providing it also pays well.

On the other hand, maybe you can figure out if this is a real ambition or just a pipe dream or an excuse to take the easy way out and hang out with his friends. If it's not a real ambition, he can go to a local public college, live at home, work part time and still hang out with his friends.

Last edited by bobspez; 05-24-2020 at 02:09 PM..

Old 05-24-2020, 02:05 PM

4,490 posts, read 3,930,229 times
Your thread title grabbed me because when I was young the ONLY career advice I got from my Dad was, "If you want to sit on your a$$ all your life, go to college. If you want to make money, be a plumber". I ended up in real estate and have done quite well. I can't tell you what a waste of time college was. Other than being able to check the "college graduate" box, it has not contributed one iota to my success. Also, having been poor, I worked 2-3 jobs during college, so it wasn't even that much fun. In your case, I would explore your son's ambitions a bit more and encourage him to follow his heart. College is best for people who have always dreamed of being an accountant, or lawyer, or doctor, or something else that you HAVE to go to college for. Otherwise, he'll get out of college and have no clue what to do next. I guarantee that at least ONE of the baristas at your local Starbucks is a college grad.

Old 05-24-2020, 02:12 PM

1,702 posts, read 1,261,499 times
Why can't he do both? Do an apprenticeship or trade school and if he decides to later go to college. It's a good living and he'll have some money in his pocket.

Old 05-24-2020, 02:29 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Firstly, I will say there is nothing wrong with being a plumber. My son is a junior in high school. He does very well in school. He has been preparing for the SAT and his latest score on a practice SAT is 1500. He has said he likes "physical" labor and does not mind the prospect of working as say, a plumber. I will not pressure him to go to college but I think he would make well for himself if he did attend college.

He has a tendency to be self-depreciating. He downplays his abilities. He does far better than I did when I was his age. From what I read, colleges are rather hostile to men these days. I read another article that predicted 25% of colleges will fail in the future the way things are going.

Should I "strongly encourage" him to at least attend a community college for a while and explore his possibilities or just let him be? I am not sure what to do.
I don't think so. Not unless he plans to get women drunk at parties and take advantage of them. Most men do fine in college.

He likes physical labor. That's good to be aware of. If he does well academically, OTOH, he could find a field in college, that speaks to him. Or, he could combine the two, by taking some business courses, in case at some point, he decides to start his own plumbing or electrician business. Is he good at math? To get journeyman status in the trades, some math-heavy coursework is required.

it sounds like he's multi-talented, OP. It sounds like he has a lot of potential.

Old 05-24-2020, 02:45 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times
The thing is, that physically demanding jobs will wear out the body in three decades or so. If son likes doing hard work, he should understand doing it for decades can have physical ramifications over a lifetime.

Old 05-24-2020, 02:47 PM

9,884 posts, read 10,975,748 times
I spent my whole working life with wrenches in my hands. Never went to college.
I finished my working career with a "diploma" from National Technical Schools stating that I "graduated" from their Master Automotive & Diesel Correspondence course (paid for by the Veterans Administration). It didn't mean much, but it helped me get my first job as a mechanic!
I ended up with an A&P license, and factory certifications from Briggs & Stratton engines, Kohler 4 stroke cycle engines, Tecumseh engines, and Peerless transmissions.
Yes, you CAN make a good living without a BS or BA. Yes, some employers do require a college degree. It might be a BA in Underwater Basket Weaving, but hey, it's a College Degree! That is all they care about, that piece of parchment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities