Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2020, 05:06 PM

29,745 posts, read 34,383,370 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney123 View Post
Good luck.. looking for the “easy” way says a lot.
Yeah, that magic, high-paying, low-effort easy job.

OP, like everyone has been saying, what do you want to do? What are you good at? Do you have money to spend on classes or training?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2020, 06:29 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,711 posts, read 58,042,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertFisher View Post
Hello young man -

I was in your shoes a long time ago. I can share my strategy to help myself out of that situation.

Instead of trying to get a training or another degree to get the job I wanted, I selected an industry I wanted to be in, and found a lowest job in that industry that requires no degree.

The idea is, get in the door first, then move up.

Working a job is the best training.
In the right industry was exposed to a lot of relevant info. From there, I acquired enough knowledge and then certification, for me to move up to better positions, with some lateral moves in between.

I found this approach to be easier in the long run, than trying to "get the good job" directly. Regardless of what strategy and path you choose, diligence on your part is needed from this point on.

Good luck to you.
Go for this
1) Get a career relevant job
2) Do it the BEST
3) Learn the most possible skills
4) Move up. or...
5) Move out

Each job is FREE training for your next job

There are many superb opportunities available (now and always). For those willing to do their best.

If first job does not cut it, find your niche (work 3-4 jobs at a time).
  • My main job was 4pm - 2AM, (15% extra pay, paid lunch break, more accessible training / skills / learning, no bosses, great co-workers, no 'stinkn-cry-baby-dayshifters' BIG plus!)
  • PT job 2AM - 6AM 3 days / week) Milk delivery (lots of snow)
  • College 10AM - 2PM M-TH (45 min commute = snow)
  • PT job Friday 6AM - Sunday 2AM (over-the-road trucking in Wyoming, SD, NE, Colorado (i.e., very dangerous / snow + mtns = HIGH pay!)
  • PT Job Sunday 7AM - Noon; Quite fun! (no one likes to work Sunday AM!, it was GREAT, very high customer appreciation)

Sunday afternoon =
a) cook meals for entire week,
b) do laundry,
c) study ahead for college (STEM degree - Mechanical Engineer)

Sunday night = sleep

Sleep is very optional. Many great leaders / inventors got by on a couple hours / day.

When you are college age... no need for sleep! Most party - few WORK!

Old 06-04-2020, 12:46 PM

1,962 posts, read 1,817,789 times
You could try and take a state/city exam and try and get in with them at an entry level office position. You may need additional schooling to advance but you can at least get your foot in the door that way.

Old 06-19-2020, 09:22 AM

124 posts, read 238,913 times
Dont rush, things come to you at the time they have to come.

Old 06-20-2020, 11:45 AM

30,633 posts, read 18,222,068 times
I have no problem with people living with parents/family for well past 18, so long as they are working and otherwise productive, which you seem to be OP. I do not believe that someone truly becomes an adult at 18, regardless of whether the law says otherwise. I admire those families and cultures that are more closely knit in that sense.

Old 06-25-2020, 02:20 PM

4,418 posts, read 2,943,089 times
You need to have some interest and idea of what you want to do. There are thousands of office jobs. Most of which will require some experience first. I would start with a temp agency and they might be able to find some gigs for you to try out. Even then, you're going to have to convince them to hire you. I once had a job called an input operator or Proof something? where all I did is type in check numbers. You have to be very fast on the 10 key numbers, but you could just practice this for a few weeks and get good.

Old 07-08-2020, 04:49 PM

1,084 posts, read 2,477,682 times
I saw an article about a young man who worked as a garbage man while going to school. Now he is off to Harvard law. If you can find a manual job like that and go to school part time, you can graduate in a few years in your chosen field. I would do retail as a last resort or a stepping stone. They paid too low and never gave enough hours. At least in my state.

Old 07-11-2020, 07:32 PM

45 posts, read 30,603 times
Default Is community college a good idea?

I will be starting community college this fall. What is the best 2 year degree or short certification I can get? I'm 28 and need to get a life.

Old 07-12-2020, 07:04 AM

3,109 posts, read 2,971,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moab1721 View Post
I will be starting community college this fall. What is the best 2 year degree or short certification I can get? I'm 28 and need to get a life.
HVAC...Automotive....Nursing...consider the military...

Old 07-12-2020, 08:06 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,535,277 times
Best associate's degrees:

Computer Science/Cybersecurity
Math/Statistics
Engineering Technology
Health Science (respiratory therapist, physical/occupational therapist, etc)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities