Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2020, 06:05 AM

2,058 posts, read 5,859,938 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio516 View Post
Only on their nursing web page, under admissions...
Yes but what they don’t tell you is that they only accept a small amount of students to the school. It happened to a wanna be nurse who ended up a speech major, a pharmacy guy who ended up with and Econ major, and a biostatistics girl who also ended up as an Econ major. Seems shady
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2020, 06:05 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,665,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaTransplant View Post
I have always thought that was just how it was in competitive programs. My undergraduate university has a really well-resourced engineering program, but applicants must complete pre-engineering and apply to the specialty of choice (e.g. 2 years of pre-engineering with things like math and physics, THEN they could apply to get into the electrical or mechanical or whatever discipline).

My undergraduate major was in a different school/major grouping, and we saw so many of those poor guys come over at the 2-year mark that the joke was our unofficial name was the "School for failed engineers".
Some schools like Carnegie Mellon have direct admission to competitive programs like computer science and engineering (or at least used to). However, some people don’t cut it the first two years, so students who really want in can take the math/physics and other prerequisite courses and apply later on for the slots of the people who dropped out. I have a friend who was accepted to Carnegie Mellon to any program BUT those two, but decided not to go because his father was a graduate of the CMU engineering program and he couldn’t face going there without going to that program.

I think the vast majority have people apply after they finish their prerequisites, and a lot of those courses are designed to weed out people who are not going to cut it.

Old 07-26-2020, 06:11 AM

2,058 posts, read 5,859,938 times
When we toured Duke, the admissions lady said, before you apply look in the mirror and as yourself, do you see an engineer or something else. Basically to mean that you apply and are accepted to the college as a freshman. Many schools are like that. If she hates it she can always switch, but it’s hard to make the switch into engineering. I don’t know, the whole UNC thing just had me wondering why they do it like that, because I’ve not seen or known a school to be so competitive once you are in.

Old 07-26-2020, 06:31 AM

12,832 posts, read 9,029,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandycat View Post
There’s something so confusing to me. Help me understand. So if you are lucky enough to get into UNC Chapel Hill, you are not guaranteed a spot in the school of your choosing. For example, if you dream to be a nurse, you do all the heavy lifting in HS and land a spot at UNC, but you can’t apply to the nursing school until you are a sophomore or junior. But they only accept a few kids to the program, which then at that point you need to change your life plan or leave the school. I keep hearing this time and time again. UNC has been a top choice for my kid since she was little but she isn’t applying because A, UNC doesn’t have an engineering school and B, she finds this to be super stressful and a scam. We know several people who have had to change their plans because they didn’t get to do what they dreamed to do. I’ve never heard of such a thing. Can someone who knows and understands this please help explain?
Which is it, nursing or engineering? UNC doesn't have an engineering program because NC State, which is basically just down the road, is an outstanding engineering school. If she wants to study engineering, she should apply there.

For competitive programs, which are most STEM programs like engineering, the first two years are weed out classes. If you can't hack the first two years, then no way you're going to hack the last two. The old joke about the first day of engineering class to look at the person on each side and only one of you graduate isn't a joke. My first day of physics, there were 27 of us in the class. Four years later six of us graduated with physics degrees. Same thing with nursing. There are limited slots available and you have to earn your way into one of those slots. It's not a scam; it's telling you up front what the challenges are. You have to have the drive, desire, determination, and grit to overcome them.

Old 07-26-2020, 07:31 AM

68,326 posts, read 54,350,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio516 View Post
Only on their nursing web page, under admissions...

Doesn't sound like much of a scam when conditions are made known.

Old 07-26-2020, 09:12 AM

19,767 posts, read 18,055,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaTransplant View Post
I have always thought that was just how it was in competitive programs. My undergraduate university has a really well-resourced engineering program, but applicants must complete pre-engineering and apply to the specialty of choice (e.g. 2 years of pre-engineering with things like math and physics, THEN they could apply to get into the electrical or mechanical or whatever discipline).

My undergraduate major was in a different school/major grouping, and we saw so many of those poor guys come over at the 2-year mark that the joke was our unofficial name was the "School for failed engineers".
The Look Engineering College at Texas A&M employs roughly the same strategy. This sort of thing is very common within very strong programs.

Others hide it a little better. My son did his pre-med track work at Baylor in BS-Bio. That particular program at Baylor is one of the best launching modes into medical school anywhere........anyway a kid is sort of in the program via grades and test scores but not fully until s/he is assigned an upper division advisor and then later a medical school advisor. Lots of kids are, "let go" at that point.

Old 07-26-2020, 09:18 AM

19,767 posts, read 18,055,300 times
Quote:
Yes but what they don’t tell you is that they only accept a small amount of students to the school. It happened to a wanna be nurse who ended up a speech major, a pharmacy guy who ended up with and Econ major, and a biostatistics girl who also ended up as an Econ major. Seems shady
You're just wrong about this. I looked at a couple of degree paths at UNC both require two years of study in what I think they termed, "general college" before admission into the respective degree paths.

Old 07-26-2020, 09:57 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,083,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post

For competitive programs, which are most STEM programs like engineering, the first two years are weed out classes. If you can't hack the first two years, then no way you're going to hack the last two. The old joke about the first day of engineering class to look at the person on each side and only one of you graduate isn't a joke. My first day of physics, there were 27 of us in the class. Four years later six of us graduated with physics degrees. Same thing with nursing. There are limited slots available and you have to earn your way into one of those slots. It's not a scam; it's telling you up front what the challenges are. You have to have the drive, desire, determination, and grit to overcome them.
That's not really true.

Not only are the last 2 years easier, they're usually more interesting. It's the classes like Differential Equations and Dynamics that get students.

I can't even tell you how dumb it is that you have to take 2 years of calc to become a civil engineer when civil engineers NEVER use calc. Ever...

These are the sort of things that adults are supposed to explain to kids. What civil engineers and investment bankers, and pharmacists really do on a daily basis.

Well ... kids can see what pharmacists do...

Old 07-26-2020, 10:13 AM

11,477 posts, read 11,548,648 times
Quote:
Even the slightest amount of research would solve this problem.

Old 07-26-2020, 10:26 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,083,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
Even the slightest amount of research would solve this problem.
The kids all know...

It was the same where I went to school.

Bunch of overachievers come in wanting to be an engineer, doctor, or computer science work for Microsoft.

I would also say that a lot of kids drop out of the engineering program after already being in (and only needing a 2.0 to get through).

And honestly, I can't say it'd have been any different for them at another school. Maybe the curves at a less competitive school would be a little lesser, but I don't think it's that big of a difference. So ... then you also don't get to be an engineer...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities