Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2021, 09:48 PM

1,939 posts, read 2,146,044 times

Advertisements

My son had to do this for engineering. And between the time he declared his intended specialty of agricultural, he changed his mind to mechanical and wasn't sure the switch was going to fly at all, but fortunately, he was admitted to mechanical after finishing the appropriate prerequisites. He is going to graduate in the Spring and feels very confident he chose the right career for him. I honestly don't know what he would have done if he had not advanced into engineering. It's all he ever wanted to do. But I feel like the kids who were really working hard did get in. The ones who were struggling didn't and that's probably how it should be.

I also wanted to add that my kids went to a college prep private school and jumped through loads of hoops to make themselves attractive applicants for universities. It felt like a very heavy load, but it was nothing compared to being in college and really nothing compared to the requirements for getting into grad school. My daughter just got word she was admitted into a very competitive grad program and she worked her a** off to get a spot. It made high school look like a day off. Just preparing you...

Last edited by Cdarocks; 02-28-2021 at 10:13 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2021, 10:33 PM

5,984 posts, read 3,423,556 times
I heard something like that about U Dub. A lot of people want to be math majors, but there aren't enough spots, so some people have to be physics majors or something. However, I'm not sure if the selection process for specific majors happens at the same time as undergrad admissions or not. In this case it might, though I am not so sure.

Old 04-06-2021, 10:05 AM

9,297 posts, read 4,498,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
It's not a scam, it's because nursing is a 2-year program, so you can't apply as a freshman.

A BSN from UNC or anywhere is a 4 yr degree tho ...you’re thinking of a community college when it’s 2 yrs. Like any bachelor’s degree...you have to take general studies & all your requirements first. They base whether to admit you on your GPA.

O.P....this is super common AND it’s not a scam...tho you express interest in the department or area of study you want when you are accepted at the school. You are likely to get in as long as you do well because you were already accepted to the university.

edit:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shalop View Post
However, I'm not sure if the selection process for specific majors happens at the same time as undergrad admissions or not.

I think a lot of it does.

Old 04-06-2021, 06:34 PM

50,115 posts, read 35,754,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TashaPosh View Post
A BSN from UNC or anywhere is a 4 yr degree tho ...you’re thinking of a community college when it’s 2 yrs. Like any bachelor’s degree...you have to take general studies & all your requirements first. They base whether to admit you on your GPA.

O.P....this is super common AND it’s not a scam...tho you express interest in the department or area of study you want when you are accepted at the school. You are likely to get in as long as you do well because you were already accepted to the university.

edit:

I think a lot of it does.
The first two years are general requirements, then you apply to the school of nursing for the last two years from what I understand. It sounds like the school reserves those spots for people who did the first two years at UNC.

I graduated from Thomas Jefferson University with a bachelors in occupational therapy, however I did my first two years at community college and then you enter the occupational therapy school as a junior. But Jefferson doesn’t have general studies for the pre-reqs, you have to transfer in. It sounds like UNC nursing is similar except you do the pre-areas there too.

Old 04-07-2021, 09:31 AM

Quote:
The first two years are general requirements, then you apply to the school of nursing for the last two years from what I understand. It sounds like the school reserves those spots for people who did the first two years at UNC.

It’s like any bachelor’s degree tho....you have requirements & general studies but with nursing there is more of an order to take the classes. I applied after my freshman year because I wasn’t sure what I was going to do. At some schools if you declare your major right away, they will accept you right away with a spot open....AND..some nursing classes & lectures are larger than others. If you’re unable to complete a class, there is a summer school option. Clinicals are small & broken up between different hospitals. All it means is that the clinical rotation part doesn’t start until your 3rd year because there are too many specific requirements before that, not just general studies....you have to take biology, anatomy, chemistry, physiology, & intro to pharmacology before. Some of those classes won’t transfer depending on the school...so most take it at the same school. I have a BSN. So..I was just saying that a BSN is not a 2 yr program...it’s a 4 yr degree. An AAS in nursing is a 2 yr program.

UNC is a 4 yr university so I am sure they offer a BSN.

Old 04-07-2021, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TashaPosh View Post
It’s like any bachelor’s degree tho....you have requirements & general studies but with nursing there is more of an order to take the classes. I applied after my freshman year because I wasn’t sure what I was going to do. At some schools if you declare your major right away, they will accept you right away with a spot open....AND..some nursing classes & lectures are larger than others. If you’re unable to complete a class, there is a summer school option. Clinicals are small & broken up between different hospitals. All it means is that the clinical rotation part doesn’t start until your 3rd year because there are too many specific requirements before that, not just general studies....you have to take biology, anatomy, chemistry, physiology, & intro to pharmacology before. Some of those classes won’t transfer depending on the school...so most take it at the same school. I have a BSN. So..I was just saying that a BSN is not a 2 yr program...it’s a 4 yr degree. An AAS in nursing is a 2 yr program.

UNC is a 4 yr university so I am sure they offer a BSN.
Yes, but they don't admit freshman into it per OP. You don't have to be in the program to know what the pre-requisites are. I had Jefferson's manual and it listed the pre-requisites required, so I knew I had the right classes. They don't offer the pre-reqs at Jefferson, you have to apply from a different school. It's only a medical school and allied health school. But you still graduate with a Bachelor's even though you're only there for 2 years (plus 6 months of clinical). It sounds like UNC operates similarly, i.e. you can't apply for the nursing program as a freshman but have to wait until you finish the 2 years of pre-reqs, but even though you're only in the nursing program specifically for 2 years, it's still a Bachelor's.

Old 04-07-2021, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
How is it a 'scam' if they tell you upfront the way things are going to be?

Ita.

Quote:
Yes, but they don't admit freshman into it per OP. You don't have to be in the program to know what the pre-requisites are. I had Jefferson's manual and it listed the pre-requisites required, so I knew I had the right classes.

Um...you have to do more than look at a manual for nursing, because there are all different classes of biology, microbiology, physiology and anatomy for nursing....AND you have to have a signature to sign off on the limited classes offered specifically for the nursing program through the department head. The only way they can do that is to know you have declared nursing as a major...so even tho you aren’t officially entered into until sophomore or junior year, you have to know before to take your requirements.

It’s like every major tho...you have to do well to continue ofc. It doesn’t make UNC a scam...so the O.P. makes no sense IMO.

Old 05-28-2021, 04:04 AM

536 posts, read 605,126 times
Well, they created fake classes for some of their athletes and included a few non-athletes, which I guess worked for them.

But ya, UNC created fake classes, with fake grades.

What else needs to be said?

Total sham and a middle finger in the face of higher EDU around the country and world.

Old 05-28-2021, 08:38 AM

19,489 posts, read 17,709,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmusic29 View Post
Well, they created fake classes for some of their athletes and included a few non-athletes, which I guess worked for them.

Total sham and a middle finger in the face of higher EDU around the country and world.
You are overstating your case to the point of silliness.

I have no affiliation with UNC at all a few rigged classes does not countervail the fact that UCN is a very fine large university.

Old 05-29-2021, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmusic29 View Post

Probably every big football/basketball college does similar. The thread title was referring to the school's nursing program, though. There was a movie in the 70's about that, the star basketball player (Robbie Benson) was thinking of dropping out to get a job to help his mom out so the school gave him a job turning on and off the automatic sprinklers, lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities