Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2021, 08:23 AM

2,539 posts, read 2,862,321 times

Advertisements

I supervise professionals who teach college/career readiness programs on a part-time basis in a high school setting.

One of my facilitators is starting a PhD program in clinical psych this fall and will be taking 7 classes/21 credits Monday through Thursday.

He is adamant that he will be available to continue working with my program on Fridays, which would require him to teach 5 classes over the course of a school day.

I worry that this arrangement may overload him and that he will either fall behind in his PhD program or the quality of his work within my program may suffer.

He is also working on developing a new phone app as a long-term entrepreneurial venture with several partners.

He is very well-liked within the school/organization and could certainly use the extra cash infusion, so I don't want to pull him out of my program unless deemed absolutely necessary for his overall well-being.

---------------------------------------------

I'd like to get some insight from people who are familiar with the workload of a first semester/first year PhD program.

Based on the information shared, do you believe that it would be feasible for my facilitator to continue working or would he likely need Fridays for school work/rest/other ventures?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2021, 08:51 AM

2,367 posts, read 908,618 times
It's normal for PhD students to be active in sports, music, volunteering, travel, dating, sometimes even have children. Many grad students also need to work as teaching assistants at the university.

But it is unusual to take 7 classes all at once.

For a normal course load of 3 or 4 classes, I see no problem at all.

The person to stop him from taking 7 classes would be his academic advisor.

Old 08-09-2021, 09:01 AM

45,344 posts, read 60,534,984 times
I knew countless teachers/Administrators who worked on their EdDs while teaching full time or, in the case of many of the Administrators not showing up.

So, yes, it's doable.

Old 08-09-2021, 09:03 AM

19,777 posts, read 18,064,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyExpert View Post
I supervise professionals who teach college/career readiness programs on a part-time basis in a high school setting.

One of my facilitators is starting a PhD program in clinical psych this fall and will be taking 7 classes/21 credits Monday through Thursday.

He is adamant that he will be available to continue working with my program on Fridays, which would require him to teach 5 classes over the course of a school day.

I worry that this arrangement may overload him and that he will either fall behind in his PhD program or the quality of his work within my program may suffer.

He is also working on developing a new phone app as a long-term entrepreneurial venture with several partners.

He is very well-liked within the school/organization and could certainly use the extra cash infusion, so I don't want to pull him out of my program unless deemed absolutely necessary for his overall well-being.

I'd like to get some insight from people who are familiar with the workload of a first semester/first year PhD program.

Based on the information shared, do you believe that it would be feasible for my facilitator to continue working or would he likely need Fridays for school work/rest/other ventures?

A friend of mine is a psych. professor at a school here in town that only awards Ph.Ds. I'll text him about this.

Here's that schools degree plan.

https://www.utsouthwestern.edu/educa...egree-plan.pdf

Old 08-09-2021, 07:14 PM

19,777 posts, read 18,064,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyExpert View Post

Finally got a response. My guy says taking more than 16 hours would require sign-offs from an advisor, every instructor involved and the dean and 21 hours would be totally out of the question unless the prospective student was an attending or academic physician affiliated with the school. In other words someone who has proved they can handle absurd volumes of work - "advanced education by firehose" was his quote.

My guy doesn't think your guy will be able to survive the 21 hours let alone do that and work.

Last edited by EDS_; 08-09-2021 at 07:49 PM..

Old 08-09-2021, 07:53 PM

3,607 posts, read 7,917,540 times
His Ph.D. program is not your problem.

Focus on supervising the work your employees do for you. If one of them does not meet standards then take appropriate action.

Not knowing anything about the specific program and prior preparation of the student I can't say how silly this idea is. But then, not my problem either.

Old 08-09-2021, 08:43 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,864,131 times
7 courses? I’ve never heard of that for PhD students. I guess it may be field-dependent but I don’t see anyone surviving that and working full time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities