Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2008, 02:50 PM

105 posts, read 478,058 times

Advertisements

Can someone recommend a school that offers no out of state tuition or a state that is easy to obtain residency in. I know several Minnesota schools offer instate to everyone but I don't think I could handle the cold. I also know EOU in Oregon offers instate to everyone but It seems like Oregon is pretty liberal from what I've seen. The adviser I talked to from EOU didn't impress me either.

I would prefer to stay away from the south, unless its Florida or maybe Kentucky. I'm in Alabama right now, I'm not native, and I absolutely hate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2008, 03:09 PM

1,197 posts, read 4,782,902 times
Nevermind.

Old 05-09-2008, 11:19 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,912,350 times
Aren't you limiting yourself with the places you say won't work? Oregon's too liberal (which presumably would knock most blue states from contention for the same reason), Minnesota's too cold (which means many states would be too cold), and most of the South is out. That doesn't leave a whole lot of choices. It definitely is important to go to school in a place where you're comfortable living. After all, you do have to LIVE there, not just be in class 24/7. Still, maybe a bit more flexibility on where you could handle living for the few years you'd be in school would help. Think of it as an adventure, and keep in mind that you can search for the ideal place to live over the long term, once you've finished school.

That said, I don't know of any schools but the ones in Minnesota that offer in-state tuition to everyone. However, one suggestion I have is to check the state schools in Texas. I know, I know, maybe you consider Texas the South, though many would also say it's in the Southwest, but if you think you could handle living there for a few years (again, it's an adventure), it's worth checking out. Their state higher education system has some fine schools, and the last I saw, even the non-resident tuition at some Texas universities was a real bargain.

Old 05-10-2008, 05:36 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,849,310 times
If you are Native American, the University of Maine system is a free ride for you then. I think it involves everything from tuition, down to meal plans and books as well. Might be something to check out. I don't know what the qualifiers are though off the top of my head.

Old 05-10-2008, 09:56 AM

6,025 posts, read 15,344,644 times
I think in most states, it takes a year to become a resident. why not just defer admission, move, and work for a year. that way, you you can save up money too. or maybe rely on federal loans and go to school PT (which is what I did when I moved to IL this year)

private schools tend not to charge extra for out of state students, but of course, their tuition is higher. however, some of these schools offer great financial aid that puts their costs around that of public schools

I agree w/ ogre that you may be limiting yourself. is it just Minnesota-type cold you dislike, or cold in general? I'll agree that from what I've heard, Minnesota gets incredibly cold. if you ok w/ snow and moderate cold, your options open up to include New England and the Midwest, and maybe some of the Rocky Mtn states (I have no clue how cold they get there though).

find a school that offers what you like, that has a good program in your major (what is your major BTW?). yes, you don't want to spend 4+ years living in a state you hate, but don't pick a school solely based on weather and politics. and don't let tuition hold you back.

Old 05-10-2008, 11:29 AM

2,502 posts, read 8,919,071 times
Try Berea. No tuition at all.

Also look at Tennessee - Knoxville. Their out-of-state tuition is relatively cheap.

Old 05-10-2008, 12:41 PM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,683,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ogre View Post
However, one suggestion I have is to check the state schools in Texas... Their state higher education system has some fine schools...
Really? Which? For "fine" public universities in Texas, UT-Austin and Texas A&M in College Station are it really. The rest range from decent to okay/mediocre to downright awful. You may be thinking about California or New York. Their state systems are vastly superior to ours.

Old 05-10-2008, 03:40 PM

2,502 posts, read 8,919,071 times
UT Dallas gets a fair amount of acknowledgement too (and I don't even live in Texas!).

Old 05-10-2008, 06:43 PM

105 posts, read 478,058 times
First off I'd like to thank everyone who's taken time to give advice. Ogre I've lived in warm climates all my life, the southwest, Cali, Hawaii, and the southeast. I honestly dont think I could handle the cold in a place like Minnesota. Socorro, New Mexico is the only place I can remember living where it got somewhat cold.

As far as a place being liberal that would not be a deal breaker for me. I don't think you can get much more liberal then Hawaii and I loved it there. I just didn't enjoy being around some of the people there who's only goal in life was getting high. Also Id rather not have to hear how GB is the reincarnation of Hitler every 10 secs.

The south is not even up for consideration. Theres no way I want to spend another couple of years here completing my degree. I wont give my reasons, I'll just say if I never see it again it'll be to soon.

I wouldn't mind going back to Cali but I know its ridiculously expensive. It was outrageous when my father moved us from upland in the early 90's and from what I heard it costs a million for a decent home now. Ive looked at Cal poly but I just dont know about the cost of living and its ridiculously hard to get into a state school in Cali if your not a resident. Maybe someone could fill me in on cal poly and sonoma state and the areas there located?

I don't think I would mind living somewhere in the Midwest. My family is originally from Iowa. Ive never lived there myself but whenever I went to visit relatives in the area, in Indiana, Illinois, and Iowa, people always seemed really friendly. The weather would be somewhat of an adjustment for me but so long as it doesn't get to cold I think I could deal with it. Basically I think I would be happy just about anywhere out west or the midwest.

Quote:
what is your major BTW?
Chemistry major here.

Quote:
don't pick a school solely based on weather and politics
I agree with what your saying here but honestly Id rather go to a no name school then live some place I cant stand. Besides I've been to more then one university and from my experience your education is what you make it.

Last edited by brian21; 05-10-2008 at 07:02 PM..

Old 05-11-2008, 05:23 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,985,603 times
What about the University of Wisconsin? Madison's climate isn't as harsh as Minnesota.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities