Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2021, 02:56 PM

5,660 posts, read 3,490,687 times

Advertisements

Yep, before someone starts on a long arduous journey, they should first decide just where it is they are trying to go, although sometimes a couple of years of "general" courses is not a bad idea to get behind you while you're making up your mind. Just make sure the 2 years will apply toward the credits required for the 4 year degree if that's where you think you may be headed.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2021, 04:53 PM

6,378 posts, read 3,857,676 times
OP, I would suggest thinking about the kinds of jobs you would like to do (and not just "are vaguely interested in" but "want to do for most of your waking hours for most of the rest of your life unless you manage to switch later"). Once you have some ideas, start looking at job ads for those jobs. What are the requirements? What education would you need, or what certificates/certifications? Are they the sorts of jobs where you can get an entry-level position, or will you be expected always to come in the door with experience, and do you have a plan to get that experience or would you rather choose something else? Is/are the job(s) you would like to do available in your area, and in sufficient enough quantity that you won't be competing with 500 other people for the only opening in your region? Do these jobs pay a salary you can live on, and is there room for advancement if you wish to? Etc. Alternately, if you're not sure, just browse job ads in your area. What's available? Does any of it look interesting or doable for you?

Once you've answered those questions for yourself, you'll have a better idea of where you should go. If you have a guidance counselor at school, they'll be able to help.

Old 04-22-2021, 05:22 PM

37,042 posts, read 41,961,954 times
My AA Degree, from a long time ago, is in General Studies. That's not a Major the Community College offers anymore but believe it or not it looked good on a resume for an entry level job just about anywhere back in the 70's and 80's. Now things tend to be more focused and meant for transferring to a 4 year.

Old 04-22-2021, 09:29 PM

2,562 posts, read 2,037,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew95 View Post
I've graduated in May 2017 with this degree and my prospects still look dim. I don't know if I should transfer these credits to get an associate's degree in something I would enjoy, like IT, or go back to the college I attended and complete a bachelor. Any advice?

Edit: After some work I revised my resume and followed some advice from fellow users, is it possible to transfer the credits I have to get another associate degree to a different college in a more useful field perhaps?
Degree in General Studies from a two-year school? An AA or ALA or something like that? Or a bachelors in General Studies?

From a public school or a private?

Old 04-23-2021, 06:35 AM

19,394 posts, read 6,434,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
The problem is, while they fulfill the GenEds, there are many majors for which they don't fulfill the prerequisite coursework, esp once you get outside the Liberal Arts. Turns a four year program into five or more years.

If it's only about the GenEds, most kids today have the opportunity to knock most of them out while still in high school.

I just don't see the value proposition for attending CC if your intent is a four year degree. I think CC's are at there best and do the most good when they focus on those programs that require a two year course of study to get a job.
Starting at a CC is very cost-effective, as long as you work with a counselor to make sure the credits you take are transferable to a 4-year school. It’s an excellent plan for kids with limited financial means, or just those who aren’t sure what they want to major in and thus can get the basic courses done at a fraction of the cost.

To answer the OP’s question: I would either apply my basic credits to another A.A. in a vocationally-oriented program, or apply the credits toward a B.A. if you are inclined to a more professional career.

Old 04-23-2021, 11:16 AM

2,562 posts, read 2,037,919 times
Looks like OP might be another one-and-done poster.

So common on C-D.

Old 04-23-2021, 11:20 AM

23,869 posts, read 32,134,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew95 View Post
I've graduated in May 2017 with this degree and my prospects still look dim. I don't know if I should transfer these credits to get an associate's degree in something I would enjoy, like IT, or go back to the college I attended and complete a bachelor. Any advice?

Edit: After some work I revised my resume and followed some advice from fellow users, is it possible to transfer the credits I have to get another associate degree to a different college in a more useful field perhaps?
You have an associate's degree. Transfer to a good college and complete a degree in a subject that you enjoy and will do well in.

That's it. An associate degree doesn't open many doors.

NO door open without a BA/S.

Old 04-23-2021, 11:28 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,158,492 times
Well, we have another one-post wonder, but I'll answer the question:

What can I do with an associates degree in nothing in particular?

1) Wrap fish
2) Line bird cage.

Old 04-24-2021, 05:46 AM

1 posts, read 555 times
like you join now then you had to start from beginning. also due to pandemic conditions everything is shifted to online. So instead of joining college you can go with any online courses.

Old 05-01-2021, 01:35 AM

137 posts, read 139,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
This is a serious question: What degrees does it prepare you for the final two years of?

Reason I ask is this comes up often in this forum yet when I look at the local CC here or previous places we've lived, their AA doesn't provide a solid background for many degree programs. They fulfill the GenEds but seldom the degree specific courses. It bothers me to see so many young people advised to attend CC for the first two years but then find themselves off track and behind when they transfer to full university and pick a degree program.
I went the route of starting at a CC, then finishing my BS at a state school (quite good, but not expensive), then attending an excellent private university (extremely expensive) for my MS on scholarship. I saved a ton of money.

The key is to know your goal and have discussions with all of the relevant programs right from the start. When I started my AA I connected with my state college and made sure that I was taking all the right classes to transfer. My transfer was seamless and I walked into my state school knowing that I was on track to graduate with my peers who started there when I started at my CC.

The advice "Start at a CC" is good advice, but incomplete. It should be "Figure out your goal and your path to that goal and try to incorporate less expensive options such as CC into that path."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities