Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2008, 11:04 AM

177 posts, read 542,626 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by econkid89 View Post
Well think about this. UVA and George Mason University are both located in Virginia. However UVA is 3 hours from DC and is in a rural area whereas Geroge Mason is 20 minutes from DC and is pretty urbanized. How is it that a UVA student, who is 3 hours from the city makes so much more than a George Mason student who is able to go to the city anytime?

Same holds true for NYU versus New York schools...
geography has nothing to do with how good a school is.. i fail to see the point..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2008, 11:30 AM

8 posts, read 291,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyJay View Post
geography has nothing to do with how good a school is.. i fail to see the point..
Somone stated, "This can be misleading. The salaries are higher in some measure because the students are placed in geographic areas where the jobs pay a higher salary overall. They are working in NY and Boston vs. Phoenix, Tucson or Miami.....cost of living far less; pay reflects this."

This is weird because students that get A's in less prestigous schools are worse off thab those that get B's in better ones...

Old 05-17-2008, 02:19 PM

8,358 posts, read 25,171,479 times
Quote:
Thanks for your help.
I have looked at the following schools: Boston College, Boston University, and Villanova
I am not familiar with Villanova, but BU and BC are top notch, then again, it really depends on what program you are getting into. My GF is trying to get into BC for grad school and I am looking to transfer into BU myself.

You know, look at college confidential dot com for better info regarding your original question.

Old 05-17-2008, 02:31 PM

13,250 posts, read 33,393,804 times
Maybe this is like the question that kids ask in HS, "Is it better to take the easy classes and get A's or take the hard classes and get B's?" The answer is to take the hard classes and get A's. So you say the heck with it and take the easy class and find out the teacher is a terrible teacher and all of your classmates are slackers.

Who says that you are going to get A's because the college is not as well known? You could have an evil professor that grades hard, you could flunk one of the total three tests they give you, who knows? It's best to go to the college that challenges you and where you feel comfortable. There's a lot more to life then grades and how much money you can make.

Old 05-17-2008, 04:22 PM

5,978 posts, read 19,847,073 times
I'm not sure if this has any bearing. Two years ago, I was given the task of hiring interns for the summer. I select from a stack of resumes, interview and have full responsibility for hiring and if need be terminating. I started with everyone with a 3.0 average and above. Since I had my education overseas, the schools they came from have no bearing on my decision. I looked at everyone's extra curricular activities and organization memberships. I interviewed two and settled for the one who had experience in a prior internship and proved the ability for independent thinking and achievement. My point is, regardless of the combo of your GPA vs school, in the final analysis, it is still the full gamut of your collegiate experience that would get you hired and hired at the job that you want. What you do and how you put that education to good use will show through in your interview.

Old 05-17-2008, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bibit612 View Post
I'm not sure if this has any bearing. Two years ago, I was given the task of hiring interns for the summer. I select from a stack of resumes, interview and have full responsibility for hiring and if need be terminating. I started with everyone with a 3.0 average and above. Since I had my education overseas, the schools they came from have no bearing on my decision. I looked at everyone's extra curricular activities and organization memberships. I interviewed two and settled for the one who had experience in a prior internship and proved the ability for independent thinking and achievement. My point is, regardless of the combo of your GPA vs school, in the final analysis, it is still the full gamut of your collegiate experience that would get you hired and hired at the job that you want. What you do and how you put that education to good use will show through in your interview.
indeed, QFT

Old 05-17-2008, 07:29 PM

1,960 posts, read 4,647,181 times
Go for the high GPA at the easy school. No brainer. I'll give you my example. I went to Georgia Tech as an aerospace engineering major for 3 years. Said school was advertised as top 10 in the particular department, and it quickly became clear it was a weedout major and a weedout school for graduate work. At any rate I spent the better part of 3 years just trying to keep up with the curve, yet as advertised, my GPA decreased every semester just enough to keep me on schedule to a 2.75 GPA graduation, but at a rate small enough to keep me from bailing out.

So at the 3 year point I said enough and transfered to the University of Alabama under the same major. Everybody said 'what are you doing?' since they all considered blasphemy that I'd be transferring to a non-top 25 school. Fast forward 2 years and I graduated with a 3.94 GPA and did so without spending half the time on school work outside the classroom as I did while at GATECH.

When it came time to apply to graduate school, I got accepted to another top 10 aerospace program mainly because of said GPA, since I admitedly Xmas tree'd the GRE, but the GPA was so high it didn't even matter. There would have been NO way I would have been accepted at said graduate program if I has graduated with a 2.75 GPA at the "hard school". No way. heck, people who stayed behind couldn't even get in at their own school's graduate program, where I was able to with my 'party school' technical degree GPA, how ironic is that.

In terms of quality of education, don't kid yourself, I went to both the easy school and the hard schools both as an undergrad and a grad student, and I taught at said hard school while pursuing the graduate degree; I have first hand experience to the fact that the quality of education is about par for the course. You can get better freshman and sophomore level core curriculum at the local community college than even your top-20 4 year institution, just based on the teacher student ratio and general communication skills of your comm college instructor vis a vis your international student TA/instructor at the big name schools, where your kid will be lucky to see an actual tenured professor teaching a course below the junior level, but this is for another thread. Trust me, go to the easy school and rake up the GPA, work on communication, interpersonal and general interviewing skills as that is more valuable, in conjucntion with a high GPA, than a self-righteous entitlement complex derived from busting your behind for 4-5 years for a crappy GPA that sees no "equalizer" consideration from employers outside the regional confines of the school in question. I'm telling you, rankings are a racket and my academic journey is proof easy school GPA is king, and if you can get it for in-state tuition you just gained 5 years of income capital over your "hard working" peers at hard U. Good luck.

Old 05-17-2008, 07:41 PM

if a graduate school dwells on your GPA, than it's not a good graduate school

Old 05-17-2008, 08:15 PM

8 posts, read 291,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hindsight2020 View Post
Go for the high GPA at the easy school. No brainer. I'll give you my example. I went to Georgia Tech as an aerospace engineering major for 3 years. Said school was advertised as top 10 in the particular department, and it quickly became clear it was a weedout major and a weedout school for graduate work. At any rate I spent the better part of 3 years just trying to keep up with the curve, yet as advertised, my GPA decreased every semester just enough to keep me on schedule to a 2.75 GPA graduation, but at a rate small enough to keep me from bailing out.

So at the 3 year point I said enough and transfered to the University of Alabama under the same major. Everybody said 'what are you doing?' since they all considered blasphemy that I'd be transferring to a non-top 25 school. Fast forward 2 years and I graduated with a 3.94 GPA and did so without spending half the time on school work outside the classroom as I did while at GATECH.

When it came time to apply to graduate school, I got accepted to another top 10 aerospace program mainly because of said GPA, since I admitedly Xmas tree'd the GRE, but the GPA was so high it didn't even matter. There would have been NO way I would have been accepted at said graduate program if I has graduated with a 2.75 GPA at the "hard school". No way. heck, people who stayed behind couldn't even get in at their own school's graduate program, where I was able to with my 'party school' technical degree GPA, how ironic is that.

In terms of quality of education, don't kid yourself, I went to both the easy school and the hard schools both as an undergrad and a grad student, and I taught at said hard school while pursuing the graduate degree; I have first hand experience to the fact that the quality of education is about par for the course. You can get better freshman and sophomore level core curriculum at the local community college than even your top-20 4 year institution, just based on the teacher student ratio and general communication skills of your comm college instructor vis a vis your international student TA/instructor at the big name schools, where your kid will be lucky to see an actual tenured professor teaching a course below the junior level, but this is for another thread. Trust me, go to the easy school and rake up the GPA, work on communication, interpersonal and general interviewing skills as that is more valuable, in conjucntion with a high GPA, than a self-righteous entitlement complex derived from busting your behind for 4-5 years for a crappy GPA that sees no "equalizer" consideration from employers outside the regional confines of the school in question. I'm telling you, rankings are a racket and my academic journey is proof easy school GPA is king, and if you can get it for in-state tuition you just gained 5 years of income capital over your "hard working" peers at hard U. Good luck.
Wow good point.
Now I am confushed. Should I stay at the easy USF and get a high GPA or transfer to Boston College, NYU and get a lower gpa.
hmmmmmm

Old 05-17-2008, 11:19 PM

8,358 posts, read 25,171,479 times
Quote:
Wow good point.
Now I am confushed. Should I stay at the easy USF and get a high GPA or transfer to Boston College, NYU and get a lower gpa.
hmmmmmm
Who says that you will receive a lower GPA anyways? Why do you assume that? It is possible, you know, that you will find BC or NYU to be a perfect match for you and possibly, just maybe..............you just might do well academically.

When you are 35 (if you are not already) you will realize that going to the easy school simply because you were able to do better academically is not going mean squat in the long run. Yes, it will mean something, but you will understand what I am saying ten, fifteen years from now.

Hindsight2020 does make some good points, but his/her experience is unique to his/her own situation. Yours may very, and it probably will. Personally I do not care what college you go to or why you choose the one that you did. That is your business and your life to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities