Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2022, 08:09 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,095,018 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoast_CA View Post
OP, age truly is a number. If we all get focused on sheer physical aspects of oneself, we will continue to miss out on so much potential each one of us carries within ourselves.

I would first establish what line of work I would like to see myself contributing to over the next 30 odd years. Then I would research the course work and Certifications that would allow me to act in that capacity. Next I would speak to colleges that can help me gain the necessary skills.

Good luck. If you can visualize your future self, you can accomplish your vision. It is the law.
Sure, I don't mean to be negative.

But I hate to see someone get a degree and they can't get the job they want.

But yea, research the job first, and then look at the degree, and you have to try and intern.

You have to be OK with being a 55 year old intern to gain the experience for certain industries. These are the practicalities.

Of course, industries are different. If you're going to be a dental hygienest, etc its way more straightforward.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2022, 10:12 PM

17,387 posts, read 16,524,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
Sure, I don't mean to be negative.

But I hate to see someone get a degree and they can't get the job they want.

But yea, research the job first, and then look at the degree, and you have to try and intern.

You have to be OK with being a 55 year old intern to gain the experience for certain industries. These are the practicalities.

Of course, industries are different. If you're going to be a dental hygienest, etc its way more straightforward.
In my own situation, if I'm going to put money into earning a degree then the degree needs to have to some practical applications - professionally, and ideally, on the personal level as well.

I'm not looking to simply get another bucket list item checked off.

As far as being the 55+ intern goes, at 56, I am currently the most senior member at my work place. And I got this job after having been a stay at home mom for 20+ years.

Old 04-16-2022, 10:20 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,722 posts, read 58,054,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
In my own situation, if I'm going to put money into earning a degree then the degree needs to have to some practical applications - professionally, and ideally, on the personal level as well.

As far as being the 55+ intern goes, at 56, I am currently the most senior member at my work place. And I got this job after having been a stay at home mom for 20+ years.
My sis went back to change positions (EDU > Medical) @ age 45.

Major schooling required, and huge commitment (While homeschooling her HS aged kids, who accompanied her to college (for free), but... VA (Veteran's Admin) paid for (4) more degrees after age 45 + full retirement, and sis is now a PhD medical instructor for advanced Medical Students ~ age 70, just completed her PhD 2 yrs ago. Her kids went on to get advanced degrees in medical also.

What role / career path is most suited for your desires?

Old 04-17-2022, 06:04 AM

9,459 posts, read 5,221,264 times
Just a thought....are you doing this to add the education to a resume....for employment purposes...? or just because.
If just because, you might be able to 'audit' with less cost and less personal pressure to get a particular grade.
Here in the People's Republic, if you are over a certain age, you can attend classes at the cost of the admission fee only (not tuition). Not sure if you have to participate in the testing. I'm looking into that now. I have a degree and some post grad work but I'd like to get into a 'learning' envirnment again. I need some intellectual challenge(s) or I am going to go mad. LOL

Old 04-17-2022, 07:03 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,095,018 times
Quote:

Sure, if you're getting the job to bolster your current experience, that's possible.

If you just want help on the getting the degree part, I think that part is going to be very easy. Much easier than you expect it will be.

Old 04-17-2022, 08:29 AM

6,452 posts, read 3,147,095 times
Quote:
It's amazing that you were able to finish 3 of your college degrees after the age of 50. Well done StealthRabbit! You give me hope that I can do this.

It's always bugged me that I never completed my college degree and I'm 56 now, so not exactly a whippersnapper. Too bad my college transcripts are such a hot mess. It'll be interesting to see what admissions has to say.
I understand your point, and also agree. Back when I was pretty young, I was hired into a "work/college co-op deal", with a large corporation. Immaturity, and time constraints prevented me from getting my degree, something I came to regret.

I did look into going back, and finish earning it, but I faced two challenges. A) I was still working both full-time, as well as a LOT of OT. Therefore time was still an issue; and B) I more or less "felt out" my employer, as to what a degree would do for me, and they basically said that by that point in time, it probably wouldn't help my career all that much.

Consequently, I declined to go any further with it.....

Old 04-17-2022, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
Sure, if you're getting the job to bolster your current experience, that's possible.

If you just want help on the getting the degree part, I think that part is going to be very easy. Much easier than you expect it will be.
Once I talk to admissions about what will/will not transfer then I will have a clearer idea as to what degree I should be pursuing. Once that part is figured out, I hope that things will go smoothly for me. I need to keep this as cost-effective as possible. I do not expect to qualify for any scholarships.

My current job does not require a degree, so having a degree will be of limited value in terms of my current position. It's a fun job and one that is more related to a hobby of mine than any sort of formal training.

Old 04-17-2022, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley. View Post
Just a thought....are you doing this to add the education to a resume....for employment purposes...? or just because.
If just because, you might be able to 'audit' with less cost and less personal pressure to get a particular grade.
Here in the People's Republic, if you are over a certain age, you can attend classes at the cost of the admission fee only (not tuition). Not sure if you have to participate in the testing. I'm looking into that now. I have a degree and some post grad work but I'd like to get into a 'learning' envirnment again. I need some intellectual challenge(s) or I am going to go mad. LOL
I would be doing it to finish my degree. I do not even have an Associates degree, yet, and I would like to have one. Depending on which credits transfer, I might be fairly close to graduating. I realize that I'm a nontraditional student and that my career path going forward will be a bit atypical. I'm keeping an open mind. I want the degree and ideally the degree will be something that I find to be useful and practical.

I know that the closest university to me does offer free classes to people 60 and up - assuming space is available, they can audit the class for free but it will not count towards college credit. I'm unclear as to whether or not a senior would need to have the proper course prerequisites before they can audit a class or if they are just allowed to sign up for whatever they want to take. I'm 56 so I am too young to audit for free but when I hit 60 you can bet that I'll be checking those classes out. I do qualify to take senior lifestyle learning courses for a nominal fee. They offer everything from long term care planning classes , to book clubs, field trips, current affairs, art, history and many other subjects.

Old 04-18-2022, 08:14 PM

24,122 posts, read 32,475,701 times
Quote:
Once I talk to admissions about what will/will not transfer then I will have a clearer idea as to what degree I should be pursuing. Once that part is figured out, I hope that things will go smoothly for me. I need to keep this as cost-effective as possible. I do not expect to qualify for any scholarships.

My current job does not require a degree, so having a degree will be of limited value in terms of my current position. It's a fun job and one that is more related to a hobby of mine than any sort of formal training.
Are you open to completing your degree online? There are so many good options.

Old 04-19-2022, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Are you open to completing your degree online? There are so many good options.
Yes. An online degree is always an option.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities