Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2022, 11:37 AM

4,860 posts, read 6,918,406 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
Then why is everyone and their brother saying we need more truck drivers? I heard there was a shortage.
There IS a shortage and it's huge. You can get your CDL paid for by a slew of companies if you commit to them for a short time.

Wages are pretty good for a job that takes minimal training. I really don't know what Mircea is talking about. When's the last time you passed a truck on the interstate that DIDN'T have a sign on the back that they're hiring?

The big problem is finding drivers that don't have prior drug/alcohol issues along with the now all to familiar problem of no one wants to go to work. If they've found a way of getting the easy money to stay home, even if it's not much, and possessing today's lack of work ethic, they'll do it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2022, 11:41 AM

17,349 posts, read 16,485,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Are you able to contribute to society as an engineer? There is an implicit payback in value to society of having an educated populace. Are you willing and able to generate that payback?
Of course, I would go to school with the intention of working and my work would contribute to society.

I might not graduate until I'm 60 and I might retire at 65. 4 years of college for 5 years of work - should society pay for my degree?

Old 04-24-2022, 12:30 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
Then why is everyone and their brother saying we need more truck drivers? I heard there was a shortage.
Today, there is an actual shortage, especially in states with liberal MJ policies.

Drivers must be part of a random drug test pool and immediately report to blood testing unit once selected. I have been tested as many as 7x / yr (at $120/pop). Not a problem for me, so I offer my services to go fetch trucks that are stranded without a driver.

Old 04-24-2022, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Today, there is an actual shortage, especially in states with liberal MJ policies.

Drivers must be part of a random drug test pool and immediately report to blood testing unit once selected. I have been tested as many as 7x / yr (at $120/pop). Not a problem for me, so I offer my services to go fetch trucks that are stranded without a driver.
You've had to pay up to $840/yr for random drug tests?! Was that out of your pocket or something the truck company paid for?

Old 04-24-2022, 02:37 PM

10,350 posts, read 13,925,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monello View Post
Why not charge more for classes that lead to careers with high earning potential? Charge way less for mandatory classes like intro and 101 level classes that are requirements.

By lowering some class charges, administrators could financially guide some students into careers like teaching. I bet slashing tuition by half or more for the classes necessary to teach, you could fill all the classrooms with educators in a few short years.

What say you?
What the hell did I just read?

Old 04-24-2022, 10:50 PM

8,181 posts, read 2,788,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
Of course, I would go to school with the intention of working and my work would contribute to society.
Most people go to school with the intention of working and and potentially earning an income that makes their expenditure worth their while.

Quote:
I might not graduate until I'm 60 and I might retire at 65. 4 years of college for 5 years of work - should society pay for my degree?
No. And it doesn't matter what the payback period is. You are the primary beneficiary of your education and you should bear the cost of it. Any benefit to society is, at best, an externality.

However if you were to take out a loan to go get that degree, the bank should absolutely consider your earning potential from that degree and how long you're going to be able to work in the field AND which school you are going to. A Data Science degree from MIT is going to be a much better risk for the bank than a BA in underwater basketweaving from Cal State Fullerton and decide the loan amount, rate and term accordingly.

Last edited by albert648; 04-24-2022 at 10:58 PM..

Old 04-25-2022, 12:34 AM

37,794 posts, read 40,990,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monello View Post
Why not charge more for classes that lead to careers with high earning potential? Charge way less for mandatory classes like intro and 101 level classes that are requirements.

By lowering some class charges, administrators could financially guide some students into careers like teaching. I bet slashing tuition by half or more for the classes necessary to teach, you could fill all the classrooms with educators in a few short years.

What say you?
I think classes taught by graduate students should be half-price.

Old 04-25-2022, 07:05 AM

12,836 posts, read 9,029,433 times
Quote:

So the answer to my question is you aren't willing and able. Look we all know you're just making an absurd argument. Why is that? You don't have a point on the practical discussion that needs to happen?

Old 04-25-2022, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
So the answer to my question is you aren't willing and able. Look we all know you're just making an absurd argument. Why is that? You don't have a point on the practical discussion that needs to happen?
The funny thing is, I actually am going back to college now to complete my degree. I do not expect "society" to pay for it, either. That's my job.

At 56, I have 9 years before I'm eligible for Medicare. So the value of getting my degree is there for me. But should "society" be on the hook for paying my way through college? No. I don't think so.

Old 04-25-2022, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albert648 View Post
Most people go to school with the intention of working and and potentially earning an income that makes their expenditure worth their while.

No. And it doesn't matter what the payback period is. You are the primary beneficiary of your education and you should bear the cost of it. Any benefit to society is, at best, an externality.

However if you were to take out a loan to go get that degree, the bank should absolutely consider your earning potential from that degree and how long you're going to be able to work in the field AND which school you are going to. A Data Science degree from MIT is going to be a much better risk for the bank than a BA in underwater basketweaving from Cal State Fullerton and decide the loan amount, rate and term accordingly.
In order to get a Data Science degree from MIT, I would have to pay out of state tuition along with room and board. So that would not necessarily be a practical degree for me to obtain.

However, my in state commuter school is a decent deal for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities