Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What type of education do you have?
Didn't graduate from High School 9 2.05%
Graduated from High School 50 11.42%
Graduated with Associates Degree 45 10.27%
Graduated with Bachelors Degree 184 42.01%
Graduated with Post Graduate Degree 150 34.25%
Voters: 438. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2008, 09:44 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,232,899 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
I have a BA in History.
I could as well have gone fishing.
It was absolutely of NO USE for my future Career, I just lost 3 years in College.
...That was to please my family, specifically my Grandpa , former military officer, of the old school. "You don't want to do West Point? then try at least College - any academic discipline, I don't care-or else...no funding anymore".
Well, since you could have majored in anything......

I don't understand what you are moaning about seeing has how grandpa was 'funding' you for those three years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2008, 06:23 AM

22,974 posts, read 26,999,132 times
GED and a computer tech school for 9 months. Ended up runing a network for a world wide corp and being responsible for some of the network security and all email. Everyone I supervised or worked with had at least a BS in computer science or buisness. I agree with a prior post, college isn't for everyone nor should a lack of degree shut you out of jobs. I've seen smart H.S. graduates and dumb college ones as well as vise versa.

Old 06-10-2008, 06:32 AM

3,507 posts, read 13,449,949 times
BS in Quality Control

Old 06-12-2008, 10:29 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,586,970 times
As some others have said with how abysmal our current economic climate is, sometimes even having a degree is not necessarily a guarantee of a lucrative career. I'll be graduating next year with my Bachelor's Degree in Accounting from an AACSB-accredited private four-year college. While the local job market seems to have a plethora of openings for controllers, chief financial officers, senior accountants, accounting managers, etc., as well as bookkeepers, a/r clerks, etc., there is a HUGE shortage of available positions for college internships and/or entry-level public accounting positions. As an example back in late-April after making it successfully through two prior "screenings" I was amongst fifteen finalists for just two available summer internships at a major regional public accounting firm. Needless to say when I was stacked up against others from prominent families, wealthier backgrounds, etc. after aggressive interviews I didn't stand a chance. I was (and still am) devastated because that was the ONLY public accounting internship available in my metropolitan region. Now I'm continuing to work full-time as a retail salesperson where I do make a decent base pay of $11/hr. before commissions, but I fear I will be looked upon unfavorably in the future for not moving away this summer to pursue an internship elsewhere.

Yes, we're being told left and right that accountants are in "high demand," but that's truly NOT the case. All of those open positions require 3-5 years of experience in the field, but what about those of us who just wish to enter into the profession at a young age with a low salary and gain the experience that these employers seek? We bite the dust. At times I wonder if I wasn't better off just not going to college at all, especially since I work in retail amongst others who have Bachelor's Degrees and don't earn much more than I do. I am now considering graduate school to pursue my MBA with a concentration in accounting, but at this point I'm not even sure if having an MBA and CPA will make me any more marketable in the disastrous George Bush economy. To say I have become depressed and discouraged is an understatement. It's amazing how many well-educated people in Scranton are earning less than their counterparts who never went to college .

Old 06-12-2008, 09:59 PM

693 posts, read 2,257,577 times
Default Interesting

I thought the original poll results for this thread were a little interesting. The degree that represents the least amount of people in the country(advanced) represents the most on this forum...interesting. I agree with some previous posts, college is something that isn't for everyone, and I believe that many kids are enrolled for the "experience", rather than to further their careers. I had to re-enroll to complete my Masters before I found the employment I was looking for. If I had more time and endless money I wouldn't mind going back for the phd, but student loans come first I suppose. I'm not sure how the trends are in other areas of the country, but it seems in the Midwest where I live degrees are devalued a bit, due to the high unemployment of older workers displaced from auto driven industry, and definitely a bitterness towards younger professionals exists.

Old 06-12-2008, 10:27 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,344,024 times
BS - Wildlife management
MS - Biology

Old 06-12-2008, 10:31 PM

3,871 posts, read 17,099,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sociologist View Post
I thought the original poll results for this thread were a little interesting. The degree that represents the least amount of people in the country(advanced) represents the most on this forum...interesting.
Yes -- and it's a bit stunning.

Does this mean the more book larnin' we have, the more time we can find to yammer on the internet??

OR -- how many people lied when they answered this poll?

AND -- if 80% of us have college degrees++, why can't people SPELL better???

Ahhhhh, thank you! That felt good!!

Old 06-13-2008, 06:35 AM

22,974 posts, read 26,999,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
As some others have said with how abysmal our current economic climate is, sometimes even having a degree is not necessarily a guarantee of a lucrative career. I'll be graduating next year with my Bachelor's Degree in Accounting from an AACSB-accredited private four-year college. While the local job market seems to have a plethora of openings for controllers, chief financial officers, senior accountants, accounting managers, etc., as well as bookkeepers, a/r clerks, etc., there is a HUGE shortage of available positions for college internships and/or entry-level public accounting positions. As an example back in late-April after making it successfully through two prior "screenings" I was amongst fifteen finalists for just two available summer internships at a major regional public accounting firm. Needless to say when I was stacked up against others from prominent families, wealthier backgrounds, etc. after aggressive interviews I didn't stand a chance. I was (and still am) devastated because that was the ONLY public accounting internship available in my metropolitan region. Now I'm continuing to work full-time as a retail salesperson where I do make a decent base pay of $11/hr. before commissions, but I fear I will be looked upon unfavorably in the future for not moving away this summer to pursue an internship elsewhere.

Yes, we're being told left and right that accountants are in "high demand," but that's truly NOT the case. All of those open positions require 3-5 years of experience in the field, but what about those of us who just wish to enter into the profession at a young age with a low salary and gain the experience that these employers seek? We bite the dust. At times I wonder if I wasn't better off just not going to college at all, especially since I work in retail amongst others who have Bachelor's Degrees and don't earn much more than I do. I am now considering graduate school to pursue my MBA with a concentration in accounting, but at this point I'm not even sure if having an MBA and CPA will make me any more marketable in the disastrous George Bush economy. To say I have become depressed and discouraged is an understatement. It's amazing how many well-educated people in Scranton are earning less than their counterparts who never went to college .
I ran into this kind of thing years ago in the computer field. I started contracting and used head hunters for a couple of years to build experience to show on the 'ol resume and it actually paid better because it was a "temp" job. Just a suggestion...

Old 06-13-2008, 08:21 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,232,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allforcats View Post
OR -- how many people lied when they answered this poll?
Hard to say, but since it is totally anonymous, probably a good amount.

Quote:
Originally Posted by allforcats View Post
AND -- if 80% of us have college degrees++, why can't people SPELL better???
They probably got their degree through a degree mill

Old 06-13-2008, 08:35 AM

1,914 posts, read 7,147,586 times
I agree with the above poster, go thru a temp agency. That's how I got all my experience as a college student. Start off doing A/P or A/R. Get out of retail now. You would be surprised how well some temp agencies pay. Especially if you get a "temp to perm" job. Come to Dallas, there are PLENTY of entry level accounting jobs here!

BTW I am an accountant too (CFO)

Last edited by CTR36; 06-13-2008 at 08:36 AM.. Reason: Added more comments
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities