Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2022, 06:24 PM

8,299 posts, read 3,811,388 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
Do you really see it as a ‘piece of paper’ rather than a choice/opportunity for some folks to better their lives? The reality is many better-paying jobs can be had with that ‘piece of paper’/AD i.e. it’s a positive step for those who want to pursue such (at minimal cost), particularly when they aren’t interested in (or capable of) pursuing four (or more) years of college.
Some people believe the piece of paper will better their lives. Is that a surprise to you?

In this case, they are often pursuing the piece of paper over the education.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2022, 11:02 PM

8,666 posts, read 3,866,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasLawyer2000 View Post
Some people believe the piece of paper will better their lives. Is that a surprise to you?
I was speaking to those who are pursuing an associate degree relative to career skills i.e. good for them; it is likely to better their lives relative to stable employment and career opportunity - particularly for those who wouldn’t otherwise (be able to) attend college at all. That’s the point of a community college i.e. open enrollment, minimal cost and job-training.

Quote:
In this case, they are often pursuing the piece of paper over the education.
I don’t see furthering one’s education as a negative, regardless of their reason; they accomplish both at the same time i.e. it isn’t a choice between furthering one’s education vs. taking the ‘piece of paper’.

Old 12-19-2022, 04:08 AM

Quote:
I was speaking to those who are pursuing an associate degree relative to career skills i.e. good for them; it is likely to better their lives relative to stable employment and career opportunity - particularly for those who wouldn’t otherwise (be able to) attend college at all. That’s the point of a community college i.e. open enrollment, minimal cost and job-training.
Many people see it as a replacement for the first two years of studying at a 4-year university. Take a read of this thread to see what people are saying: https://www.city-data.com/forum/coll...lleges-12.html

Old 12-19-2022, 04:16 AM

Quote:
I don’t see furthering one’s education as a negative, regardless of their reason; they accomplish both at the same time i.e. it isn’t a choice between furthering one’s education vs. taking the ‘piece of paper’.
A bachelors degree indicates that you've spent ~4 years attending foundational classes, doing academic research, and contributing to published work of graduate students and professors. Most of the learning comes from the research and working with graduate students and professors. When a CC transfer enters, they are already behind by two years. They can still succeed, but making up those two years takes extra time so many just focus on finishing the classes and getting the piece of paper without the education. Hence using college to get a piece of paper to get a job. It works if that's their goal.

Old 12-19-2022, 10:36 AM

8,666 posts, read 3,866,412 times
Quote:
Hence using college to get a piece of paper to get a job. It works if that's their goal.
The point is, it’s not the ‘piece of paper’ that gets them the job; it’s the required skills/training/education relative to the associate degree that does so.

Quote:
Many people see it as a replacement for the first two years of studying at a 4-year university.
For some, it is. As I stated previously, I don’t see furthering one’s education as a negative, regardless of their reason. The value of community colleges is in their widespread accessibility/appeal, minimal cost and job-training/associate degrees.

That I would never have chosen to attend a community college doesn’t mean it isn’t a good fit (or the only option) for many.

Old 12-21-2022, 04:43 AM

5,047 posts, read 6,347,352 times
Quote:
A bachelors degree indicates that you've spent ~4 years attending foundational classes, doing academic research, and contributing to published work of graduate students and professors.
Particularly for freshmen and sophomores, this statement is a lot like someone saying they've seen a UFO. I believe that they believe they've seen actual aliens. But *I* don't believe it.

I believe that you believe freshmen and sophomores generally do actual academic research (beyond the example problems given to them to teach them *how* to research), contribute to actual published work, and professors and graduate students lovingly foster them intellectually. But I don't believe it.

Old 01-16-2023, 10:45 AM

846 posts, read 682,651 times
I think part of it is correlation vs. causation.

It's not just that higher-tier universities offer better education than community colleges. But also, they take in a more accomplished students.

And also, they may have a wealthier family, which is also a correlating factor to success.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities