Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2013, 02:35 PM

1 posts, read 1,845 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone, i need some advise. I have BS degree in management and finance and minor in accounting. Now i would like to seek degree in accounting. what will be the procedure?- is it possible to get second degree in accounting if have degree in business already.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2013, 04:38 AM

219 posts, read 430,946 times
I can only assume you wish to get your CPA (why bother otherwise?). If that is the case, check with your state's requirements first. You probably don't need a second degree in Accounting and may only need a specified number of credits in Accounting that can be accomplished through a certificate program or just by taking the individual classes. Some people assume the degree will make them look better but if your goal is a CPA, most looking to hire a CPA only care about the CPA, not your degrees.
That said, some states I think do actually require a degree in Accounting so it is important to start with your state's licensing board. Good luck!

Old 10-02-2013, 09:19 AM

1,761 posts, read 2,605,902 times
I wonder is an accounting certificate enough to get an entry level accoutning postion or do most places require at least a Bachelors?

Old 10-03-2013, 11:19 PM

6,347 posts, read 9,875,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSBlows View Post
I graduated with a degree in English, and am now looking into getting some kind of certificate in accounting.

I'm interested in this program they have at UCLA Extension. You take 1 or 2 years of accounting and business classes depending on how many business classes you've already taken. At the end of the program, you have the option of sitting for the CPA exam.

Is anyone familiar with this accounting program at UCLA? If so, I'd like to hear your thoughts on it.

The UCLA extension courses are REALLY expensive. I can get an accounting certificate at a community college for a lot less. But I'm thinking that UCLA Extension is more highly regarded among employers.
WHAT?

What kind of university doesnt have an accounting major? It is a pretty common major.

Old 10-05-2013, 10:33 PM

293 posts, read 720,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slim04 View Post
I have met partners at accounting firms and controllers/CFO's at Fortune 500 without CPAs. So you can go very far in accounting without a CPA if you have the ambition and talent.
Not that I disagree with you, but the chances to land such position with that level of responsability is very very small. If you work for a publicly traded company, a CPA is needed to sign off on the financials. A privately held company is not concerned with that, however, credibility is key. Most partners in public accounting firms are CPA's themselves. Otherwise, they couldn't back up the firm or their private practises. So, I find the latter hard to believe.

With that said, there are plenty of CFO's, VP's, and Controllers that are not CPA. Then again, a signature is irrelevant when it comes to signing off financials; as long as the company is not publicly traded. But as I said before, a company looks better when their statements have a CPA's signature on it.

Old 10-07-2013, 09:40 AM

1,624 posts, read 4,869,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Guitar View Post
Not that I disagree with you, but the chances to land such position with that level of responsability is very very small. If you work for a publicly traded company, a CPA is needed to sign off on the financials. A privately held company is not concerned with that, however, credibility is key. Most partners in public accounting firms are CPA's themselves. Otherwise, they couldn't back up the firm or their private practises. So, I find the latter hard to believe.

With that said, there are plenty of CFO's, VP's, and Controllers that are not CPA. Then again, a signature is irrelevant when it comes to signing off financials; as long as the company is not publicly traded. But as I said before, a company looks better when their statements have a CPA's signature on it.
Huh? Public companies are required to have their CEO and CFO sign off on their financial statements under Sarbanes Oxley and there is absolutely no requirment they need to be a CPA. In fact, the vast majority of public company CFO's are not CPAs. A lot of CFOs don't come from the accounting department and come from operational or other finance type departments like budgeting, treasury, investments, M&A, etc.

An audit partner that signs an audit opinion needs to have a CPA. All audit partners will have a CPA at a firm, but accounting firms also have a ton of partners that do non-audit consulting work and tax work. The firm I worked for, about 2/3 of the tax partners didn't have CPAs and had law degrees, and hardly any consulting partners had CPAs. For example, if a company hires you to do a forensics investigation after discovering fraud, a lot of those partners are former law enforcement officials or experts in computer systems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities