Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2009, 12:54 PM

239 posts, read 351,417 times

Advertisements

When/if I graduate next year it will be about 24k in loans. I managed to get a lot of grants/scholarships to offset the cost.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2009, 10:55 AM

6,044 posts, read 24,023,003 times
I graduated with just over $50k in student loans. Way more than I should have borrowed. I saved money by going to community college for my first two years, but then screwed up by going to a private university for my last two years. I am down to just over $18k. At the rate I am going, I will have it paid off in 6 years. However, I am planning on going to grad school this fall. I have enough savings to pay for grad school without taking out more loans, but there's always the chance that something will happen and I may have to borrow a bit more, or I might have to defer my current loans and that will make it that much longer to get paid off. But I am hopeful to have my masters degree in 4.5 years, and be debt free in 6 years. The best advice I can give to anyone with student loans is that, if you can afford it, pay extra each month. And every time I have gotten a windfall (like a tax refund), I have always put 1/3 - 1/2 of the money towards my loans.

Old 02-23-2009, 11:03 AM

5,501 posts, read 22,392,697 times
My guess is that those with huge student loan debts aren't even going to post the numbers here!

Old 02-24-2009, 08:13 PM

26,680 posts, read 41,533,415 times
Right now I have $10k in stafford loans. Probably another $15 to $20k when i finish. Thankfully i decided against Howard U and went to a very inexpensive community college in Virginia. Getting a small scholarship didnt hurt either.

Old 02-25-2009, 01:37 PM

2,336 posts, read 7,758,374 times
I have about 50K in student loan debt. This will jump another 25 - 45K because I wish to go to graduate school.

On one hand it sucks; my highest paying job ever only paid 37K per year (current job pays 23K). I've only paid about $800 since I've always been on an income-contingent payment plan. On the other hand I don't own a house, have never spent more than 6K on a car (so I've never had a car payment) and I have about $300 of credit card debt. True, this is mainly because I can't get approved for any credit (rightfully so). But this still puts me way behind other Americans in how much debt I have overall.

Old 02-27-2009, 03:09 PM

536 posts, read 1,865,853 times
I have ~70k. My payments are about 450/month. Mostly because I had some private loans in there and have 2 degrees I had never paid off. But well worth it. I easily make 30K more per year with my degree. So the 450 doesn't bother me. In another 7 years my payments are only 230 or so, once I pay off my original loans. I haven't even gone to grad school yet . But I won't go unless my company pays.

If I have to pay it will be out of pocket. No loans. And it will probably be in a different field.

Old 02-28-2009, 07:40 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,391,021 times
Hrrm... not to be a negative nancy but... you shouldn't pay for grad school for a LA degree... honestly you might be hurting financially for a long time.
How far are you into it?

Personally I worked almost full time at a real job (not mcdonalds) and went to school full time and in summer so came out clean at a state school... took me an extra year to finish, but I think the financial aspect of it is worth it. I also dual enrolled and took as many classes at community college as I could (3x less tuition cost) basically most of the GE courses.

Don't colleges make you take some financial course or introduction these days?

I hope all those with substantial debt from undergrad at least have Ivy League or wanna be ivy league degrees, otherwise, probably not a great ROI.

Top law school, engineering, mba etc grad school and still don't get funded... still worth the initial debt.

Old 03-02-2009, 12:14 AM

325 posts, read 2,991,180 times
~$150,000 and growing.

Old 03-02-2009, 07:56 AM

19,045 posts, read 25,117,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sablebaby View Post
Mine: $100k
Ouch

Quote:
Originally Posted by eofelis View Post
I'll graduate in May 2009, at 41 yrs old, with a BS in geology, minor in GIS.

Very low income + high GPA female science student = lots of scholarships and grants. All my tuition has been paid, $0 debt. I go to a small, cheap state college. It's <$5k/yr for a full time class load.

I've worked p/t off and on during the time I've been in school for low wages.
Good for you. An adult, female, science student. I love it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elipar View Post
~$150,000 and growing.
Again, ouch. I guess you're in med school? Good for you as well.

I have about 40k in loans. I took out 10k more than I should have due to unexpected circumstances. I still haven't consolidated my loans (have been out for 2 years now) but interest rates are pretty low and I may do it this year. I'm glad I did wait but it's a hard risk to take. I wonder where the interest rates will go this coming june/july.

Right now I'm only paying the minimum but hopefully that will change next year since I'll be due for a promotion.

Old 03-26-2009, 01:40 AM

15 posts, read 51,323 times
Once it's all said and done, around $125k. Sadly, this isn't for a professional degree either. I regret not getting rid of the "welcome to college" garbage classes at a community college for a year before going to a private school. Could've saved myself $40k. Oh well; it's too late to whine about it now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities