Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2009, 02:47 AM

242 posts, read 785,347 times

Advertisements

So far I only owe $1600 from community college because I wasnt eligible for financial aid at the time. I'm transferring to CSUEB in the fall(09) and I just received a sweet financial aid package from them because my income is low so I probably will not be taking out any loans until grad school. But then again maybe not if I keep my gpa up there are tons of scholarships availible for my major.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2009, 10:49 AM

840 posts, read 2,073,012 times
11k so far just a junior will graduate in 2 more years so about 25K at the end all in stafford $1600 in private(was short on money) use money to pay bills and rent and savings. WIll be making about 60k-70k so will be paid off in less than ten years and hoping the governemnt forgives some and dont have to pay any. will graduate with a BS in Public Policy conc. in planning and Economic Development wanting to be a transit planner

Old 04-01-2009, 11:00 AM

1,958 posts, read 4,634,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgyeldell View Post
11k so far just a junior will graduate in 2 more years so about 25K at the end all in stafford $1600 in private(was short on money) use money to pay bills and rent and savings. WIll be making about 60k-70k so will be paid off in less than ten years and hoping the governemnt forgives some and dont have to pay any. will graduate with a BS in Public Policy conc. in planning and Economic Development wanting to be a transit planner
Good luck on your degree, and good luck on tackling the debt, my only concern is that you confidently state you'll be making 60-70K once you graduate and you got two years to go. Unless you have a written offer contractually binding, I'd say that's wishful thinking. Also bear in mind that from all of us in the post-college workplace, we look at that and remind ourselves that college is kinda like Shawshank Prison: "Um, we're ALL innocent here, didn't ya hear?". Everybody is dead certain they'll make X, I'm afraid that statistics are against ya, and just because everybody feels like you do, doesn't make it so, I'm afraid.

That said, 25K is not half as bad as some people have it, so I commend you for being able to minimize what could have easily been a six digit debt load, if that exuberance of "oh i KNOW I'll make that much" had gotten a worse hold of you than it currently does today...

Old 04-01-2009, 11:47 AM

840 posts, read 2,073,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hindsight2020 View Post

That said, 25K is not half as bad as some people have it, so I commend you for being able to minimize what could have easily been a six digit debt load, if that exuberance of "oh i KNOW I'll make that much" had gotten a worse hold of you than it currently does today...
Yeah I know that I am a little gun-ho over making that much after I get out of school. i was just hoping that my intern experience at my cities housing authority and my good grades will help me get the lower pay grade for my job and I move up fast through the ranks to be making about that much money. But if I get the right job out of college, because depending on what city I work in the bigger the city the more you make starting out and get the forgiveness on some of the loans than I could easily pay that off in <10 years

Old 04-01-2009, 03:53 PM

3,855 posts, read 13,210,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCgirl04 View Post
whats your student loan debt? I swear once I finish grad school I feel that I will be working(thats if i find a teaching job in cali) just to pay off my loans!! I have taken out so many loans to fufill a dream of mine and sometimes i wonder if its even worth it, especially since my field is in teaching and as you guys know, there are not many teaching jobs in cali, because of the budget cuts!
When I graduated 7 years ago my debt was just under $20k.

I guess this is the difference between going to an in-state public institution in the midwest.....and pretty much anywhere else. Feel sorry for you guys for not living in Missouri or Kansas....or any other state where the schools are funded through state income taxes which reduces tuition to something manageable.

Old 04-02-2009, 07:30 AM

165 posts, read 545,810 times
Just paid mine off. Woot.

Old 04-08-2009, 09:08 AM

250 posts, read 901,444 times
If any of you open a Citi credit card with the Thank You Network, the Thank you program has a way to use reward points to pay off student loan debt. I've actually opened up quite a few cards (and they have no annual fees), got the 10,000 bonus points after a certain purchase requirement, paid the credit card balance, redeemed my points for a $100 Student Loan check, or sometimes 2 or more checks of $100, or more after the second month, and then closed the card. It's a great program and seems to be best for me over airline mile cards.

Old 04-08-2009, 01:29 PM

703 posts, read 2,930,088 times
Still have $8K left from a high of $20K in undergrad student loan. Total undergrad cost was $32K-$39K per year back in '98-'02 (private university in northeast). Total out of pocket cost (excluding student loans) for myself only - parents did not have to pay for MY college education, was about $2.5-$3K a year. Basically got a $128K+ college education for about $32K total, sure glad I had lots of merit-based scholarships and grants!

PhD degree was free, so no debt there!

Old 04-08-2009, 11:05 PM

44 posts, read 330,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by novanative75 View Post
Mine are huge and I will be paying them off for years but that is what it is. Of course not I can not even get a job in my field, imagine that! Great, glad I have that degree!
I am in the place myself. I am repaying currently under the ICR through the Direct Loan Consolidation and paying a private loan which I am a month ahead on. In 25 years I will be completely student loan debt free.

Old 03-09-2010, 07:26 PM

3,337 posts, read 7,083,274 times
I have no student loan debt largely because I got a full scholarship to cover my undergrad and graduate education. I also had a self-employment income on the side so I plan on remaining debt free. The only debt I'll probably have is a mortgage, if that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities