Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2008, 12:45 PM

3,089 posts, read 8,492,853 times

Advertisements

I once worked at a call center during training they put me with some guy to shadow. He had a computer engineering degree and was making $10hr. In english class I did a career essay about how I would like to become an online professor. The english teacher then told me about the newly appointed dean of distance education. He got the job because he got his degrees online and new his way around online education. The real kicker is when he told me the guy got his degrees from the University of Phoenix. Guy is probably making 3 figures all from a crap degree. Life is funny like that I suppose.

Old 07-19-2008, 01:44 PM

8,358 posts, read 25,164,021 times
Marine biology with a minor in oceanography. Plan to focus on oceanography in grad school.

Old 07-25-2008, 10:12 AM

77 posts, read 384,918 times
I changed my major but in the same field, Business. I was orginally majoring in Accounting, but then I decided it wasn't for me. Most of my credits went right along with me when I changed my major to Business Administration, before it was too late. Either way I am still graduating in May '09.

Old 07-25-2008, 10:42 AM
Rei

494 posts, read 1,758,024 times
When I was little I wanted to study art so I could print money easily... LOL... knowing that it is illegal, I wanted to study agriculture in hopes of growing money tree... ^^ none of that happened...

Anyway, I got my BS in civil engineering, not by choice. I was confused and wasn't sure of wat to study. So, I prayed to God, openned the university catalog, and civil engineering was the first page I opened, and I sticked with it till the end... that and my parents were gonna kill me if I went for something else in engineering, law, or medicine... ;p

Quote:
College for the great majority of kids is absolutely useless! All you end up with is a huge debt when you graduate and you end up taking whatever job you can find just to pay it off anyway!
Always go for engineering, law or medicine from the best universities... no Cal Tech or USC graduate's gonna work at call center making $10/hr...

Old 07-25-2008, 11:15 AM

1,201 posts, read 4,034,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krichton View Post
It's probably a very low percentage. Who do you know goes to college knowing precisely the type of career they want? Most ppl pick a major and just goes thru the paces to graduation. Alot of ppl don't know know what kinds of jobs are available for what they're studying. College for the great majority of kids is absolutely useless! All you end up with is a huge debt when you graduate and you end up taking whatever job you can find just to pay it off anyway!
I'm going to a state college with low tuition (~$2000/semester). With my low income and high GPA I have gotten plenty each year in Pell grants and scholarships to pay all my tuition and a lot of my frugal living expenses. I'll graduate with no debts.

I have gotten plenty of research experience at this small school working with professors. I even presented my work at a professional conference.

I just finished up working with the Colorado Geological Survey as an intern doing field mapping. Right now I'm working at the local BLM office as a GIS intern (until I graduate). It's an excellent place to put the word out that I want to get a federal job when I graduate. Not super high pay, but great work atmosphere and job security. I could also make a lot of $ working in the oil & gas industry as a geologist right now. We have a drilling boom going on here.

Old 07-28-2008, 10:25 PM

633 posts, read 2,535,731 times
very interesting, could you please share which college you are attending? If you don't want to make it public, you can send me a pm.

I'm trying to impress upon my daughter that you don't have to incur a ton of debt and that there are options for aid out there if you just apply.

Good luck on your endeavors, sounds like you have a good head on your shoulders.

Old 07-31-2008, 11:37 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,744,667 times
I'm going for Nursing.
I'll be starting on my prerequisites on the 18th of August (64 hours) and then I'll transfer to a nursing school. Right now I'm at a two year college to keep the costs down. My tuition is all paid for so all I have to pay for is books and fees. The books are outraegeous but I'd rather pay for books and fees than what the other colleges would have had me pay for.
I got into a lot of four year colleges but after adding it all up, one of the cheapest options would have costs me 25,000 in debt by the time it was all said and done if I hadn't received any other scholarships by the time I graduated. To me, that debt was just TOO much.

I also want to go to graduate school in the future and I don't need a lot of undergraduate debt.

I'm thinking of opening my own sort of business in the future. It's just SO much I want to do but I KNOW I want to do nursing.

Old 07-31-2008, 11:50 PM

5,680 posts, read 10,305,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krichton View Post
Who do you know goes to college knowing precisely the type of career they want?
Well, to start with, those of us who go back and get the degree in our 40's, after working a couple of decades in the field, generally know what career we want. It's a backwards way of going about things, I agree, but on the bright side, I knew EXACTLY what I'd be doing with my education when I finished, having done it for 20+ years.

And to answer the original poster's question, I double-majored in accounting and business, and have found my career since graduation to be very rewarding in both the intrinsic and the economic sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities